Large Hadron Collider to be switched on

Supposedly they're just trying to create these "mini" black holes. My question is, how do they get rid of them, and how do they keep them from growing. From what I understand of black holes, is that they're anti-matter and, in fact, feed on matter. It really makes me wonder if we're going to be responsible for our own demise.

1. You need to learn more about black holes.
2. You need to learn more about the project.

1. You need to learn more about black holes.
2. You need to learn more about the project.

Hence my posting in this thread dumbass.

Originally Posted by BrianH
"Supposedly they're just trying to create these "mini" black holes. My question is, how do they get rid of them, and how do they keep them from growing. From what I understand of black holes, is that they're anti-matter and, in fact, feed on matter. It really makes me wonder if we're going to be responsible for our own demise."

Would I be incorrect to assume that black holes are anti-matter?? and feed on matter??

Would I be incorrect to assume that scientists are creating "mini" black holes?

This is the reason I posted a QUESTION in my post... Not in order to receive a smartass response from you, but for someone to enlighten me about the project and to correct me (if I am wrong) about what they are attempting to create.

You're questioning the sanctity of the scientific method ? Oh please--they know almost everything .

:eusa_pray:

:eusa_eh: right......

The American Physical Society has dubbed it a "safe" experiment. Well I guess we're ok then. No worries.

Okay, you were being serious, sorry.

Black hole theories are very complicated and they are just that, theories. There are several. Explaining them in a forum is not possible. There is the anit-matter theory, but most science points to them as just being extremely powerful gravity wells. The project is to explore a lot of theories, not just those.

But, as with all science, nothing ventured nothing gained. Think of how the first person felt when they were about to inject bread mold into them ...

The effective force of gravity* between two objects is the product of their masses divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant.

So the closer two things are to eachother, the more effected they are by eachother's gravity. Twice as close, four times the force; thrice as close, nine times the force; etc.

Consider you and Earth. Standing on her surface, you are about 6.4 million meters (about 4,000 miles) from Earth's center of gravity. That's the number for the distance in the gravity formula (note that you do pull on Earth as much as she pulls on you, but Earth has so much more inertia than your teeny mortal coil that she doesn't really notice).

Now suppose that Earth was much denser. Same amount of mass, just packed into a much smaller sphere, so that when you're standing on her surface, you're only, say, 3.2 million meters from the center. In this case you would feel four times the force from her gravity - not because she's any bigger but because you're closer to the center.

Now theoretically, if you imagine the Earth dense enough, and therefore the distance from the surface to the center small enough, you could get the gravity equation at that surface to spit out as high a number as you like. When the force at the surface gets so high that the escape velocity (how fast you have to be going with no sustained propulsion to leave) excedes the speed of light, some things get wonky.

The details and practical ramifications of the wonkiness are beyond me and haven't exactly been directly studied. Black holes are tricky to find and the big ones out in nature whose presences we can reasonably suspect have masses measured by suns and are therefore quite hazardous to get near, not to mention that they are very far away.

If you encountered a microscopic black hole out in space with less mass than you, I think it would stick to you but it wouldn't hurt you. It would be like an infinitely clingly and curiously heavy dust mote.

The big ones are dangerous because they're so massive. Little mass, little influence.

I think.

* - the modern conception of gravity involves a distortion of spacetime rather than a simple force, which accomodates the fact that the path of light can be changed by a nearby (very) massive object, but for things with mass like us the effects of that distortion is indistinguishable from a force, so the gravitational force equation and general Newtonian view of gravity as a force is still practical to use.

Thanks, I am just too lazy to bother getting the text for something other people should be able to look up themselves. Also, I am no good a paraphrasing ...

The effective force of gravity* between two objects is the product of their masses divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant.

So the closer two things are to eachother, the more effected they are by eachother's gravity. Twice as close, four times the force; thrice as close, nine times the force; etc.

Consider you and Earth. Standing on her surface, you are about 6.4 million meters (about 4,000 miles) from Earth's center of gravity. That's the number for the distance in the gravity formula (note that you do pull on Earth as much as she pulls on you, but Earth has so much more inertia than your teeny mortal coil that she doesn't really notice).

Now suppose that Earth was much denser. Same amount of mass, just packed into a much smaller sphere, so that when you're standing on her surface, you're only, say, 3.2 million meters from the center. In this case you would feel four times the force from her gravity - not because she's any bigger but because you're closer to the center.

Now theoretically, if you imagine the Earth dense enough, and therefore the distance from the surface to the center small enough, you could get the gravity equation at that surface to spit out as high a number as you like. When the force at the surface gets so high that the escape velocity (how fast you have to be going with no sustained propulsion to leave) excedes the speed of light, some things get wonky.

The details and practical ramifications of the wonkiness are beyond me and haven't exactly been directly studied. Black holes are tricky to find and the big ones out in nature whose presences we can reasonably suspect have masses measured by suns and are therefore quite hazardous to get near, not to mention that they are very far away.

If you encountered a microscopic black hole out in space with less mass than you, I think it would stick to you but it wouldn't hurt you. It would be like an infinitely clingly and curiously heavy dust mote.

The big ones are dangerous because they're so massive. Little mass, little influence.

I think.

* - the modern conception of gravity involves a distortion of spacetime rather than a simple force, which accomodates the fact that the path of light can be changed by a nearby (very) massive object, but for things with mass like us the effects of that distortion is indistinguishable from a force, so the gravitational force equation and general Newtonian view of gravity as a force is still practical to use.

So basically you'll have a black hole stuck to you for life and you will end up looking like this.

202px-Pig-pen_peanuts.PNG

Forum List

Back