Language

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Language is a uniquely human trait, but there is much about it that people struggle to define, let alone understand.

It sets us apart from all other forms of life as we know it, but what is it really?

Language is a uniquely human trait, but there is much about it that people struggle to define, let alone understand.

It sets us apart from all other forms of life as we know it, but what is it really?
Respiration, Phonation & Articulation....... :eusa_whistle:

More
Yup, that's a word alright...... Now if you speak it the three parts of speech come into play...... I.e. what speech really is......:eusa_whistle:

More
Yup, that's a word alright...... Now if you speak it the three parts of speech come into play...... I.e. what speech really is......:eusa_whistle:

The topic isn't "speech."

More

Language is speech in all it's forms........

More

Incorrect

More

Incorrect
It's not the spoken and written word? (hint: in all it's forms...... i.e. in all uses....... Writing is a form of expression, generically called "speech".......) Now you can argue pedantically if you want, no skin off of my nose so to speak...... :eusa_whistle:

Incorrect
It's not the spoken and written word? (hint: in all it's forms...... i.e. in all uses....... Writing is a form of expression, generically called "speech".......) Now you can argue pedantically if you want, no skin off of my nose so to speak...... :eusa_whistle:

Dance...dance...dance...

You should have quit before you started.

Well, cats meow and dogs bark. Different meows I think means different things. And different barks mean different things. Cows moo. Birds chirp or squawk. Tree frogs and crickets sound similar, now that I think about it. Pigs oink. Goats go baaaaaah.

Like humans, animals also annunciate.

But animals don't hate. Humanity might do well to learn from them.

Last edited:
While Sparrow decides if he wants to dig his hole deeper...

Consider that while humans are the only creatures to use language, we can't really pinpoint one physical or genetic element to explain this unique ability.

Well, cats meow and dogs bark. Different meows I think means different things. And different barks mean different things. Cows moo. Birds chirp or squawk. Tree frogs and crickets sound similar, now that I think about it. Pigs oink. Goats go baaaaaah.

Animals communicate, but they don't have language.

Animals communicate, but they don't have language.

I never liked to hear French. For some reason the French language annoys me greatly. The sound of it, I mean.

Incorrect

Dance...dance...dance...

Who's dancing? :lol:

Incorrect

Dance...dance...dance...

You, Ginger.

Incorrect

Dance...dance...dance...

You, Ginger.
:lol:

Language is uniquely human, and it may be that in a way language made us human.

More
But language is more than speech... as you can see right now, on your monitor...

Forum List

Back