LandLords Forbidden From Asking About Citizenship Status

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
http://www.vanguardnewsnetwork.com/?p=2281

SAN FRANCISCO – California is again forging its own path on immigration reform by becoming the first state to prohibit landlords from asking tenants' immigration status.
Amid frustration over the federal government's failure to reform immigration laws, cities across the country have taken their own action to keep out illegal immigrants, including barring property from being rented to undocumented tenants.

the law signed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenneger elicited a sigh of relief among landlord associations concerned that without it, they'd be forced to take on the cost and the liability of enforcing federal laws as “de-facto immigration cops,” said Nancy Ahlswede, executive director of the Apartment Association, California Southern Cities.

SAN FRANCISCO – California is again forging its own path on immigration reform by becoming the first state to prohibit landlords from asking tenants' immigration status.
Amid frustration over the federal government's failure to reform immigration laws, cities across the country have taken their own action to keep out illegal immigrants, including barring property from being rented to undocumented tenants.

the law signed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenneger elicited a sigh of relief among landlord associations concerned that without it, they'd be forced to take on the cost and the liability of enforcing federal laws as “de-facto immigration cops,” said Nancy Ahlswede, executive director of the Apartment Association, California Southern Cities.

I tried being a landlord ONCE, kind of felt like I fell under the "let no good deed go unpunished" doctrine.

Don't know why ANYONE would want to be one..............:lol:

Landlords I believe have the right to ask what they need to, to ensure a profitable business. I mean, who is responsible for the property, and also for any summons. So does that mean that landlords cannot run background checks on tenants...because illegal immigrants technically "are not in America" so when it comes back as they do not exist it is a telltale sign that they are not a USA citizen.
Then again this is coming from a state that "known to the state of California, lead has been known to cause cancer". (True, but only in Cali?)
Whats next, giving illegal immigrants in New York Licenses..... oh...we did.......

Note: There is a difference between asking someone if he is a US citizen, and taking the time and trouble to confirm what the prospective tenant tells you. My first reaction to this topic was to demand that landlords confirm tenant status. Then, I though about cost the landlord would face. Haven’t conservatives often complained that governments give private businesses too many hoops to jump through? Aren’t they tired of the tedious rules and regulations that people are required to follow? I see bout sides of the issue and I’m undecided.

This has less to do with immigration issues and more to do with rights being taken away from the property owner.

This has less to do with immigration issues and more to do with rights being taken away from the property owner.

Actually, I figure WJ didn't think anyone would read beyond the thread title. Seems the landlords are pleased with the legislation because they don't want to be the immigration police for the Feds.

From the OP

Actually, I figure WJ didn't think anyone would read beyond the thread title. Seems the landlords are pleased with the legislation because they don't want to be the immigration police for the Feds.

From the OP

You realize he QUOTED that part?

I wouldn't expect any less from a lawyer.

From the OP

The cost would be passed on to the tenant and the liability issue is mute if they follow proper procedures. All this is is the government taking our rights away from us and folks willingly giving them up.

The cost would be passed on to the tenant and the liability issue is mute if they follow proper procedures. All this is is the government taking our rights away from us and folks willingly giving them up.

If I were renting an apartment, I would not want my rent to go up simply because the agency responsible for keeping illegal immigrants out wants to pass the buck to landlords.

I'm a landlord. I rent my spaces to whomever can pay the deposits and the rent. If they can't accomplish their own promises I promise to throw their asses out on the street. I do not and will not quarantee that all my occupants are legal citizens. That is a job better left to the authorities that have the records and the will to prosecute for crimes that really I am not concerned with. My job is to collect the payments for service/goods delivered. I cannot be the end all/solve all for the millions of laws that are on the books of the American, State and Local jurisdictions and their accompanists.

As anyone insists that I further police my own properties I refuse to abide without permission to appropriately increase my costs and rents to the same extent these ridiculous regulations demand.

It's called business. Do the republicans support me? Simple answer. No.

I'm a landlord. I rent my spaces to whomever can pay the deposits and the rent. If they can't accomplish their own promises I promise to throw their asses out on the street. I do not and will not quarantee that all my occupants are legal citizens. That is a job better left to the authorities that have the records and the will to prosecute for crimes that really I am not concerned with. My job is to collect the payments for service/goods delivered. I cannot be the end all/solve all for the millions of laws that are on the books of the American, State and Local jurisdictions and their accompanists.

As anyone insists that I further police my own properties I refuse to abide without permission to appropriately increase my costs and rents to the same extent these ridiculous regulations demand.

It's called business. Do the republicans support me? Simple answer. No.

I suppose because if by chance you were renting to an illegal you could be considered aiding and abetting. I suppose that would be why CA passed a law to encourage people not to find out.

I don't believe I am renting anything to you, B,80.

I suppose because if by chance you were renting to an illegal you could be considered aiding and abetting. I suppose that would be why CA passed a law to encourage people not to find out.

Sooooo, fuck you. I can run my business, you need to run yours. I remain within the law which is all I am expected to do.

I don't believe I am renting anything to you, B,80.

Sooooo, fuck you. I can run my business, you need to run yours. I remain within the law which is all I am expected to do.

It's not an opinion for one thing. Nor is it worthy of hostility. By definition if you know someone is acting illegally and do nothing about it you are, under the law, aiding and abetting.

Illegal aliens are rampant in CA, they passed said law because the legislature has no intention of prosecuting those that harbor felons.

It's not an opinion for one thing. Nor is it worthy of hostility. By definition if you know someone is acting illegally and do nothing about it you are, under the law, aiding and abetting.

Illegal aliens are rampant in CA, they passed said law because the legislature has no intention of prosecuting those that harbor felons.

I agree with bern80 on this one. I live in california. Illegals are rampant here. We need to deport them all, they broke the law, and by default, so did their kids, including anchor babies.

they are stealing jobs, depressing wages, taking up housing, bankrupting our schools and hospitals.

i think its time to put la raza and lulac out of business because they aid and abet illegals.

Landlords aren't law enforcement authorities.

Do you want landlords asking you if you smoke pot, have a susepended driver's liscence, or if you drive under the influence of alcohol?

Landlords aren't law enforcement authorities.

Do you want landlords asking you if you smoke pot, have a susepended driver's liscence, or if you drive under the influence of alcohol?

Again I don't beleive that was the intent of this law. I believe the intent was to keep landlords from getting themselves into trouble. It is more of a don't ask, don't tell law than anything.

Instead of getting in trouble for knowingly harboring a felon, you will now get in trouble basically for asking if someone is a fellon. the latter is the easier to comply with. That and the left of the great state of CA doesn't seem terribly interested in solving it's illegal immigration problems. the passage of this law is ample evidence of that.

Shouldn't the landlord be encouraged to do as much or as little checking up on prospective tenants as they desire? It's YOUR property. If you care enough, you'll check into who wants to rent and occupy it.

I mean, you're an idiot if you let a person rent your property, and then your lease is breached because the INS happened to figure them out and come deport them, and you did nothing to find out about their background beforehand.

On the same token though, you should be free to have made that decision to begin with, and live with the consequences. It should have nothing to do with what the US government wanted you to do. They don't do dick squat right now as it is on their OWN behalf to stop the illegal influx, but they want to place a legal and financial burden on landlords to do it for them?

Fuck that.

Make your own decision during the prospective lease application reviews, and live with the consequences of it.

Shouldn't the landlord be encouraged to do as much or as little checking up on prospective tenants as they desire? It's YOUR property. If you care enough, you'll check into who wants to rent and occupy it.

I mean, you're an idiot if you let a person rent your property, and then your lease is breached because the INS happened to figure them out and come deport them, and you did nothing to find out about their background beforehand.

On the same token though, you should be free to have made that decision to begin with, and live with the consequences. It should have nothing to do with what the US government wanted you to do. They don't do dick squat right now as it is on their OWN behalf to stop the illegal influx, but they want to place a legal and financial burden on landlords to do it for them?

Fuck that.

Make your own decision during the prospective lease application reviews, and live with the consequences of it.

Frist, I would disagree with this hyper-libertarian idea that nobody owes society anything. I do think a businessman has a bigger responsiblity.

But second, the way America works, checking up on illegals is "racism" and so it's hard to do.

That's what I say "fuck that" to!

Forum List

Back