Landlords and Political Yard Signs

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
This probably could have been put in Ethics as well, but whatever.

My neighbors have the same landlord as we do. They're Obama supporters, and they have an Obama yard sign put up in their section of the yard that we both actually share (the yard, not the sign). Apparently, the landlord wants them to take down the sign because he's a Republican, and he doesn't want to "have to keep looking at it" when he comes around.

Now, I realize that it's actually his property and they are just renting, but I'm wondering how much of a leg he has to stand on in this situation. This same landlord allowed me to repaint our entire unit with custom colors, he allowed me to replace the kitchen countertop when we moved in, and took it off the rent, and it was at our request, not something he was originally going to do. He also allowed me to till a big section of the backyard grass to plant a vegetable garden. There are a lot of things he allowed us to do, basically.

What I'm wondering is, how much of a right does he really have to tell them to take down the sign, in light of the fact that he's allowed so much alteration of the property otherwise. He doesn't have to look at the sign. He's letting his personal feelings come between fair use and, perhaps, tenant rights.

I'd have to read the lease again to see if it mentions political advertisements, but I really don't remember seeing it when we signed ours. Not that it would matter much I suppose, had they placed a McCain sign out instead.

What are your thoughts?

I think it's his property and he has the final say.

I basically agree, I just don't like the WAY he's exercising his authority in the matter.

I guess I just don't understand why it's that big of a deal to him. He didn't mind me ripping up the back yard, or repainting all the bedrooms with custom baseball themes for our son, and a purple/blue girly theme for our daughter...but he's got a problem with a stupid ass yard sign.

We live in a really racist area of South Jersey. This particular township is very conservative. A lot more hardcore BACKWARDS conservative than I like to think I am, anyway. Plus, the guy's an old yuppy. Not a real nice guy, frankly. I made nice with him by offering him my abilities to do the little things around here that he would probably rather not have to be bothered with. Otherwise, he's a jackass. I can't help but think his position on the sign is just as much about Obama being a "******" as it is him being a Democrat.

I can't stand Obama anymore than the next conservative, but it certainly hasn't bothered me that I've had to look at the sign everyday.

Legally, sure, he's got the right to have his say. Morally? I think he's being a fucking dickhead. A real conservative would be minding their own fucking business and not caring about something that isn't affecting their daily routine. The guy doesn't even live in this town. He comes around MAYBE once a month, if that.

I basically agree, I just don't like the WAY he's exercising his authority in the matter.

I guess I just don't understand why it's that big of a deal to him. He didn't mind me ripping up the back yard, or repainting all the bedrooms with custom baseball themes for our son, and a purple/blue girly theme for our daughter...but he's got a problem with a stupid ass yard sign.

We live in a really racist area of South Jersey. This particular township is very conservative. A lot more hardcore BACKWARDS conservative than I like to think I am, anyway. Plus, the guy's an old yuppy. Not a real nice guy, frankly. I made nice with him by offering him my abilities to do the little things around here that he would probably rather not have to be bothered with. Otherwise, he's a jackass. I can't help but think his position on the sign is just as much about Obama being a "******" as it is him being a Democrat.

I can't stand Obama anymore than the next conservative, but it certainly hasn't bothered me that I've had to look at the sign everyday.

Legally, sure, he's got the right to have his say. Morally? I think he's being a fucking dickhead. A real conservative would be minding their own fucking business and not caring about something that isn't affecting their daily routine. The guy doesn't even live in this town. He comes around MAYBE once a month, if that.
Sad, if true. I agree he looks like an idiot for not letting the guy put his political sign up. Some people are just a little too full of themselves.

His property, his rules.

Just as long as you'd still feel the same way if you had a Democrat landlord telling you to take down a McCain sign.

I agree, it's his rules. But he's picking an awfully stupid thing to impose authority on, in light of everything else he's been lenient about.

Hey snow, would you tell a tenant to take down an Obama sign? Be honest.

I love the interchangeable way you use "backwards" and conservative. Also enjoy your assumption that he thinks of blacks as *******...based upon what? Have you ever heard him say that word? Or do you, like many others, just like to make use of any opportunity to say the word yourself....while attributing to the "thoughts" of others?

Oh, and whether or not you like the "way" he asserts his rights, they are after all his rights.

Many landlords include a no-political-sign clause in their rental agreements.

I love the interchangeable way you use "backwards" and conservative. Also enjoy your assumption that he thinks of blacks as *******...based upon what? Have you ever heard him say that word? Or do you, like many others, just like to make use of any opportunity to say the word yourself....while attributing to the "thoughts" of others?

Actually, he used "backwards" to modify conservative. He did not use them interchangeably. He did quite the opposite.

Second, do you know his landlord? My guess is he does.

Let's wait and see if he's ever heard his landlord say the word "******" and if he actually has voiced any racism...or if that's just Paul's assumption.

Just as long as you'd still feel the same way if you had a Democrat landlord telling you to take down a McCain sign.

I agree, it's his rules. But he's picking an awfully stupid thing to impose authority on, in light of everything else he's been lenient about.

Hey snow, would you tell a tenant to take down an Obama sign? Be honest.

I wouldn't put up a McCain sign in the first place :cool:

I'd be pissed - but again, their property, their rules. I'm lucky to have a cool landlord who's more apt to stop by and talk guns than to bitch about something stupid. His Garand collection is amazing!

And no, I wouldn't tell someone to take down an Obama sign. I could see banning all signs, but I wouldn't tell one tenant he can have a sign supporting his candidate and another that she can't display a sign supporting hers.

Renters have some rights under special “important” circumstances, since the renter is paying rent. Other minor issues to benefit the renter need to be spelled out in the lease agreement. There are things that the renter can’t do or should not do to alter the property. I’m no attorney, but I think that with such minor things as political signs, the benefit falls on the landlord. It is the landlord’s property. If this is an issue for you, I’d first recommend that you have a civil discussion with the landlord and ask that you be allowed to post political signs. If that doesn’t work and it is still an issue for you, I’d recommend that you leave at the end of your contract term.

The family that lived in our neighbor's unit before them was black. They literally trashed the unit while they lived there. I mean, this place was DISGUSTING when I walked through it before our neighbors moved in. The guys the landlord employs to do the property maintenance were there that day and were going off about the "dirty *******" that lived there. I heard them say it, but no, never heard the landlord say it. They are peas in a pod though, as I've seen since I've lived here. They're all good friends with each other.

Maybe your next post will address the topic, rather than pick on the substance.

Check with your city and/or state ... landlord and rentor rights are different in each city and state - I think :confused:

I doubt that a renter has a "right" to put a sign in their landlord's yard, no matter where it is. I'm just having a problem dealing with WHY the landlord has an issue with it.

I'll be putting a McCain sign out as soon as I get one. I'm interested in testing the waters now.

They have paid for use of the yard and have the right to put up a sign of their choice.

Forum List

Back