Landlords and Political Yard Signs, Vol. 2

You got it, I'm signing off. I guess there is nothing I can do about the whole sign thing anyway. But seriously, one more question. Without signing a lease, I have no rights at all (even though I can clearly prove that I am and have been paying rent for this property for two years) ? That blows my mind (not to mention obviously I have been ignorant not to demand a lease agreement to sign).

If you're putting "Rent" somewhere on your check, you can prove you paid to live there last month. Having no lease means you have absolutely no rights whatsoever...

*Technically* he can cash your entire check for rent, and kick you out after 48 hours, saying that's all your payment covered...

shit. well, i've lived there without a lease agreement for 2 years now. landlord did repairs, replaced some appliances, upon my request graveled our driveway, is having a new showerstall installed that he paid for not raising my rent or anything. Guess i've been lucky then huh. Well, we were going to find a different place to go live anyway and I will definitely make sure I will have a lease agreement, in four-fold.

shit. well, i've lived there without a lease agreement for 2 years now. landlord did repairs, replaced some appliances, upon my request graveled our driveway, is having a new showerstall installed that he paid for not raising my rent or anything. Guess i've been lucky then huh. Well, we were going to find a different place to go live anyway and I will definitely make sure I will have a lease agreement, in four-fold.

You *are* lucky. If you've had it that easy, I wouldn't grump about a sign that's not going to change who you vote for anyway, if it's not displayed.

There is probably two ways to see the situation. If I was renting a house and wanted to put up a Political Sign, I probably would have called and asked my Landlord beforehand if that would be ok. However, since you didn't, the next common courtesy would be for your landlord to come to you and tell you how they felt about it and why they were taking it down. If the landlord came to you first before taking the sign down you may have still felt mad at the landlords "what will the neighbors say" kind of strategy but at least you wouldnt feel like the landlords being sneaky about it. The landlord may have thought you were being sneaky putting it there without asking permission. At any rate You could get a bumper sticker for your car, buy some T-shirts with obama on it, and find other ways to show your support for your candidate.

There is probably two ways to see the situation. If I was renting a house and wanted to put up a Political Sign, I probably would have called and asked my Landlord beforehand if that would be ok. However, since you didn't, the next common courtesy would be for your landlord to come to you and tell you how they felt about it and why they were taking it down. If the landlord came to you first before taking the sign down you may have still felt mad at the landlords "what will the neighbors say" kind of strategy but at least you wouldnt feel like the landlords being sneaky about it. The landlord may have thought you were being sneaky putting it there without asking permission. At any rate You could get a bumper sticker for your car, buy some T-shirts with obama on it, and find other ways to show your support for your candidate.

Or, you could just show up at the polls and vote, since those goofy signs don't make a damned bit of difference either way.

Or, you could just show up at the polls and vote, since those goofy signs don't make a damned bit of difference either way.

I have never voted because of a sign, but that's just me.

I think people use them to show their solidarity to their party, and so others like them can honk and wave as they drive by and see it.

Or they do it just to piss people off! :razz:

I have never voted because of a sign, but that's just me.

I think people use them to show their solidarity to their party, and so others like them can honk and wave as they drive by and see it.

Or they do it just to piss people off! :razz:

I don't have a sign, a tshirt, or a bumper sticker. What I will have is my freezing cold ass standing in line at 6am so I can vote before I go to work. :)

I don't have a sign, a tshirt, or a bumper sticker. What I will have is my freezing cold ass standing in line at 6am so I can vote before I go to work. :)

That's my girl! I have voted in a "seniors retirement home" for years now, it's nice and warm in there!

Been voting since I was 18, won't tell ya how many years ago that was....:eusa_shhh:

You got it, I'm signing off. I guess there is nothing I can do about the whole sign thing anyway. But seriously, one more question. Without signing a lease, I have no rights at all (even though I can clearly prove that I am and have been paying rent for this property for two years) ? That blows my mind (not to mention obviously I have been ignorant not to demand a lease agreement to sign).

I doubt your rights are totally negated by not having a lease, but check and see what the local agencies say about your rights. They will have the most current things.

Now, if you don't have a lease that specifically says that you cannot have signs, etc, that may be in your favor...

Just do yourself the favor of looking for better accommodations. With things in writing...

You being in the NOT DOLE camp, well, we see on the news that she is down in the polls. Maybe that, too, irritated your landlord.

Anyway, try this:

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lamp/cle/1105_Rowe_Landlord.pdf

It does give a lot of information, and there is an implication (see page 29) that leases may be "oral." That would then be that any "agreement" between a landlord and tenant, where rent or something of value (work) is exchanged, is a "lease."

Different states have different laws. That is always the place to start.

Forum List

Back