Lamar Alexander calls for “New Manhattan Project for Clean Energy” to Counter Green New Deal

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander (R) is offering his own “New Manhattan Project” as an alternative to the “Green New Deal” to provide Americans with renewable, “clean energy” options.

Republican Senator proposes "New Manhattan Project," ridicules Green New Deal as "assault on cars, cows"

Let me save you ten years and a few trillion dollars:
E8CAFFD7-A5DF-4A71-A728-F67F4620AEA5.png

Liberal opposition to Nuclear Power is a puzzlement to me. Always has been.

We've had nuke reactors in naval vessels for about 60 years now give or take. The safety record is fantastic; probably superior to coal, lignite, petroleum, and other power plants. The conditions where these ships operate are usually much tougher than what you'll find in a peaceful valley in rural USA.

As long as we implement US Navy standards, I don't see a huge risk for safety myself. I would be most comfortable with the following scenario:

Tell ConEd, PG&E, Reliant, whomever.... "Sure you can build a nuke plant. Here is who will staff it.... Meet Commander Jane Doe, Annapolis Class of 2011. Her crew will run the plant from bow to stern. Instead of paying an ever-more-expensive workforce with salaries, benefits, healthcare, bonuses etc..., the Navy will run your plant.".

The power companies get their profits.
The communities get a professionally run, safe, reliable, and clean source of power
Those who work there get practical experience running a nuclear plant
The nation gets a bunch of engineers and technicians who are trained out the ass who will then go into the private sector (or not) and know how to properly run a plant or industry.

There is zero cases of nepotism, zero cases of featherbedding, zero cases of someone hiring someone's brother-in-law because he needs a job.
Discipline, professionalism, and competence.

Its a win-win-win-win situation.

Will we do it? Of course not.

I like him cause The gun grabbers HATE HIM ...
Build nukes the watermelons are gonna have a fit

Indian point is falling apart it would irradiate the city and most of new england
they're shutting it down for good , a new modern nuke plant would be good

Natural gas filled the gap when Indian Point shut down for nearly two weeks, data show
Thomas C. Zambito Rockland/Westchester Journal News
Published 8:31 AM EDT Apr 7, 2019
For more than two weeks, the Indian Point nuclear power plant failed to generate a single megawatt of power. And yet, in Westchester County and New York City, lights were burning, refrigerators were humming and phones were charging.
Behind the scenes, though, something occurred that made all that possible.

In the days after Indian Point powered down — a rare occurrence prompted by a malfunction in one reactor and scheduled spring maintenance in the other — the state’s electric grid pivoted.

With an assist from the grid’s overseers, the state’s energy resources shifted in a way that could offer a preview of what’s to come in the years ahead when Indian Point is scheduled to shut down for good.

Natural gas’ contribution to the grid ticked upward, while renewable wind and solar power continued to play a lesser role, according to an analysis of minute-by-minute data compiled by the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), the nonprofit charged with making sure the state has enough energy.

And heaven forbid they let New Yorkers produce their own and contribute to the county's energy needs.

The view in Ithaca, N.Y., is no clearer.
Ithaca's 26-year-old mayor, Svante Myrick, also declared his intention last week to keep Ithaca's investments fossil-free. Ithaca sits atop New York state's part of the Marcellus Shale, but it's also home to a hearty anti-fracking movement.
One protest took place in February at Ithaca Commons, a pedestrian mall in the city's downtown. That drew teasing from Tom Shepstone, a writer with Energy in Depth, a campaign of the Independent Petroleum Association of America. Shepstone said the Commons is due for major upgrades -- to use natural gas.

And to add insult to injury Under Marcellus
utica-shale-map.gif

What is the Utica Shale?
The Utica Shale is a black, calcareous, organic-rich shale of Middle Ordovician age that underlies significant portions of Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, Quebec and other parts of eastern North America (see Figure 1). In the subsurface, the Utica Shale is located a few thousand feet below the Marcellus Shale, which has become widely known as a source of natural gas (see Figure 2).
The Utica Shale is currently receiving a lot of attention because it is yielding large amounts of natural gas, natural gas liquids and crude oil to wells drilled in eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. The United States Geological Survey's mean estimates of undiscovered, technically recoverable unconventional resources indicate that the Utica Shale contains about 38 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, about 940 million barrels of oil, and 208 million barrels of natural gas liquids [15].

Take a wild guess Guess where the Utica is easiest to get at and why western NY begs Pennsylvania to adopt them
utica-cross-section-ny-pa.gif

And they wonder why we leave In droves
Just ask AOC's mom

Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander (R) is offering his own “New Manhattan Project” as an alternative to the “Green New Deal” to provide Americans with renewable, “clean energy” options.

Republican Senator proposes "New Manhattan Project," ridicules Green New Deal as "assault on cars, cows"

Let me save you ten years and a few trillion dollars:
View attachment 254597

Lol....think he meant tens of trillions of dollars.

The left comes up with some absurd idea's in my day but this one truly is full-on retard. And there are some in this forum that really think it just needs some time to become completely accepted!!:deal::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Sometimes I wonder if some of these people have been sneaking into my house and talking to my exotic bird!:dunno:

We've had nuke reactors in naval vessels for about 60 years now give or take. The safety record is fantastic; probably superior to coal, lignite, petroleum, and other power plants. The conditions where these ships operate are usually much tougher than what you'll find in a peaceful valley in rural USA.

As long as we implement US Navy standards, I don't see a huge risk for safety myself. I would be most comfortable with the following scenario:

Tell ConEd, PG&E, Reliant, whomever.... "Sure you can build a nuke plant. Here is who will staff it.... Meet Commander Jane Doe, Annapolis Class of 2011. Her crew will run the plant from bow to stern. Instead of paying an ever-more-expensive workforce with salaries, benefits, healthcare, bonuses etc..., the Navy will run your plant.".

The communities get a professionally run, safe, reliable, and clean source of power
The nation gets a bunch of engineers and technicians who are trained out the ass who will then go into the private sector (or not) and know how to properly run a plant or industry.

There is zero cases of nepotism, zero cases of featherbedding, zero cases of someone hiring someone's brother-in-law because he needs a job.

I can understand the aversion to nuclear because of "disasters" that have occurred. Newer technology and more thoughtful practice likely should reduce the possibility of an accident and improve safety quite a bit I'd wager. Also reduction of waste which is a legitimate problem.

Here is a pretty good vid about the topic:

As long as you force people to buy energy from Big Electrons, Inc., driving up the cost isn't helping anybody but the stockholders of Big Electrons, Inc. There is no "options" other than pay a boatload or pay two boatloads.

As long as you force people to buy energy from Big Electrons, Inc., driving up the cost isn't helping anybody but the stockholders of Big Electrons, Inc. There is no "options" other than pay a boatload or pay two boatloads.
How’s that different from being forced to buy energy from Unicorn Farts, Inc? Is there some place in the world where you can hook to the grid with the utility of your choice?

How’s that different from being forced to buy energy from Unicorn Farts, Inc? Is there some place in the world where you can hook to the grid with the utility of your choice?

Unicorn Farts, Inc. is a division of Big Electrons, Inc. Yes there are some places where you can choose your provider. Mine is not one of them.

Indian point is falling apart it would irradiate the city and most of new england

Natural gas filled the gap when Indian Point shut down for nearly two weeks, data show
For more than two weeks, the Indian Point nuclear power plant failed to generate a single megawatt of power. And yet, in Westchester County and New York City, lights were burning, refrigerators were humming and phones were charging.

In the days after Indian Point powered down — a rare occurrence prompted by a malfunction in one reactor and scheduled spring maintenance in the other — the state’s electric grid pivoted.

With an assist from the grid’s overseers, the state’s energy resources shifted in a way that could offer a preview of what’s to come in the years ahead when Indian Point is scheduled to shut down for good.

Natural gas’ contribution to the grid ticked upward, while renewable wind and solar power continued to play a lesser role, according to an analysis of minute-by-minute data compiled by the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), the nonprofit charged with making sure the state has enough energy.

And heaven forbid they let New Yorkers produce their own and contribute to the county's energy needs.

Ithaca's 26-year-old mayor, Svante Myrick, also declared his intention last week to keep Ithaca's investments fossil-free. Ithaca sits atop New York state's part of the Marcellus Shale, but it's also home to a hearty anti-fracking movement.
One protest took place in February at Ithaca Commons, a pedestrian mall in the city's downtown. That drew teasing from Tom Shepstone, a writer with Energy in Depth, a campaign of the Independent Petroleum Association of America. Shepstone said the Commons is due for major upgrades -- to use natural gas.

utica-shale-map.gif

What is the Utica Shale?
The Utica Shale is a black, calcareous, organic-rich shale of Middle Ordovician age that underlies significant portions of Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, Quebec and other parts of eastern North America (see Figure 1). In the subsurface, the Utica Shale is located a few thousand feet below the Marcellus Shale, which has become widely known as a source of natural gas (see Figure 2).
The Utica Shale is currently receiving a lot of attention because it is yielding large amounts of natural gas, natural gas liquids and crude oil to wells drilled in eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. The United States Geological Survey's mean estimates of undiscovered, technically recoverable unconventional resources indicate that the Utica Shale contains about 38 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, about 940 million barrels of oil, and 208 million barrels of natural gas liquids [15].

Take a wild guess Guess where the Utica is easiest to get at and why western NY begs Pennsylvania to adopt them

Just ask AOC's mom
I've seen the outcrop in Marcellus where it gets its name from and know where it is located. Geology in NY is interesting, and makes for some beautiful waterfalls. It's also interesting up here how the fracking issue seems to cross political sides, although that's just anecdotal of course. I know a staunch Republican who is dead set against to the point he had an anti fracking sign in his front yard. I'm not against it but think it would need to be regulated stringently.

I can understand the aversion to nuclear because of "disasters" that have occurred. Newer technology and more thoughtful practice likely should reduce the possibility of an accident and improve safety quite a bit I'd wager. Also reduction of waste which is a legitimate problem.

Here is a pretty good vid about the topic:

Fair analysis.

First let me insert what I left off from my idea. ConEd, PG&E or whomever would pay a fee to the Navy for the labor. It’s no free lunch.

There is always a risk in any technology. All human kind can do is take steps to mitigate or prevent those risks. Having the time-tested naval personnel running the place is likely the best crew you could find.

I think Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and the latest with Fukushima Japan Nuke plant disasters have been deep seeded in to American minds, along with no where to put the spent fuel that Congress can agree on, has been part of the problem....

I think Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and the latest with Fukushima Japan Nuke plant disasters have been deep seeded in to American minds, along with no where to put the spent fuel that Congress can agree on, has been part of the problem....
But the world has only 12 years left. We must take the risk.

But the world has only 12 years left. We must take the risk.
it would probably take 12 years to get local approval, issue imminent domain to take people's property and to build any additional nuke plants.... ;)

utica-shale-map.gif

What is the Utica Shale?

Just ask AOC's mom
I've seen the outcrop in Marcellus where it gets its name from and know where it is located. Geology in NY is interesting, and makes for some beautiful waterfalls. It's also interesting up here how the fracking issue seems to cross political sides, although that's just anecdotal of course. I know a staunch Republican who is dead set against to the point he had an anti fracking sign in his front yard. I'm not against it but think it would need to be regulated stringently.

Are you a professional geologist or just a hobby? i'm just curious
The ice age of course played a big part in shaping what ya see on the surface today
as i'm sure you already know

Last night i was just reminiscing of riding a little suzuki 80 to a waterfall right off the Appalachian trail
and speaking of ice ages when i was riding tat suzuki the next ice age was on its way ....so sayeth the NY Times :bang3:
...NY is beautiful country very mountainous beautiful lakes, rivers, valleys and streams ...great farming land black dirt onions from the Hudson valley and cabbage from up north .

fracking ....its not the only golden goose they've killed just one of the more recent ones .

your republican friend another Yoko
ahh ya get not in my back yarders from every walk of life ...NY is a big state and only has a population of 19 million of which 8 million live on only 300 square miles .
You could pick an isolated spot...Run some moose ,raccoons and snakes out and approve it for drilling. theirs a compromise there ? yes ....its only for the well being of the state and its people while it could be contributing to the nations energy Independence .

BUT NOOOOOOOOO

right yoko

16artsbeat-yoko-blog480.jpg

an isiolated spot , regulate em to control the waste and start frakin

Forum List

Back