Lake Superior 20 degrees warmer than normal

that is about as intelligent as claiming that global warming is the cause of heavier snowfall.

Denying that GW could lead to more snowfall in some places, shows a total lack of understanding of the topic. How much intelligence does it take to realize that warmer temps would lead to more moisture in the atmosphere, anyway?!?!

Global warming means it gets warmer everywhere, all the time. That means less snowfall overall and more rain overall. Confusing weather and climate shows a complete lack of understanding of the entire concepts involved. Maybe you should spend a little time studying the models that the AGW crowd puts out before you start accusing me of not understanding the topic.

No it doesn't. Besides, just because it's warmer, doesn't mean it won't snow. Warm your average winter temp from say 20 to 25 F and it WILL snow and there WILL be more because warmer air carries more moisture. If there's anyone that's trying to confuse things, it's you. What's so hard to understand about gases absorbing energy. More gases, more trapped energy. How can we expect anything but warming, if the trend continues? We know that man puts out more CO2 in days than all the volcanoes on earth do in a year, so where are those excess gases coming from?

Just a quick reality check here: Mankind: 3%. Nature: 97%. That is roughly the source origination of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Back to our regular programming.

Global warming means it gets warmer everywhere, all the time. That means less snowfall overall and more rain overall. Confusing weather and climate shows a complete lack of understanding of the entire concepts involved. Maybe you should spend a little time studying the models that the AGW crowd puts out before you start accusing me of not understanding the topic.

No it doesn't. Besides, just because it's warmer, doesn't mean it won't snow. Warm your average winter temp from say 20 to 25 F and it WILL snow and there WILL be more because warmer air carries more moisture. If there's anyone that's trying to confuse things, it's you. What's so hard to understand about gases absorbing energy. More gases, more trapped energy. How can we expect anything but warming, if the trend continues? We know that man puts out more CO2 in days than all the volcanoes on earth do in a year, so where are those excess gases coming from?

Just a quick reality check here: Mankind: 3%. Nature: 97%. That is roughly the source origination of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Sorry, but those stats aren't true.

CO2 stayed within a range of plus or minus 22 parts per million for 600,000 years.

Then we started burning fossil fuels, and atmospheric CO2 increased 40% in 200 years.

You really need to do some reading.

Last edited:

CO2 stayed within a range of plus or minus 22 parts per million for 600,000 years.

Then we started burning fossil fuels, and atmospheric CO2 increased 40% in 200 years.

So do you.

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — Normally frigid Lake Superior has warmed up faster than usual this summer due to a winter with little ice and a record-warm spring, according to researchers.

Surface temperatures are about 20 degrees higher than normal for this time of year and could be on their way to record highs, researchers at the University of Minnesota Duluth's Large Lakes Observatory said.

Lake Superior warms up earlier than usual, with July temps about 20 degrees above normal - latimes.com

Whooop-di-dooo s0n..........they are skiing in Northern California this weekend........latest they've every kept the mountain open, and it snowed in New Hampshire last week.

So whats the point???:wtf:

It snowed in New Hampshire? I live in Vermont, and I surely did miss that. Here, the hottest June and July start has corn ready to be picked and that usually is a mid-August celebration.

I've been running my A/C since May.

Actually it's more like 0.003% mankind. You forgot to move the 1. ;)

I've been waiting for 2 weeks before this article showed up as "PROOFOMGOMGOMG!!!!" of the world coming to an end. I went to the UMN website to take a look at their data. Found an interesting little tidbit there to put this OMGOMGOMG catastrophe in perspective.

Climate Change and the Minnesota State Climatology Office

Lake Superior water temperature has been measured at buoys in the lake since the early 1980s. Such a time period is too short to put the data into an adequate historical context but the tendency of the 20+ year record is certainly upward

Great. We have 25 years of observed data essentially. The equivalent of a frame of film out of a movie. And from this we are going to determine the plotline, characters motivations and context of the movie. :rolleyes:

let's look at a few other bits of observed data and apply the Chicken Little's logic to this.

Generally, precipitation has been rising albeit not uniformly in time since the dust bowl years of the 1930s.

OMGOMGOMG!!!! We're all going to be flooded into oblivion! we'll be under 30 feet of water by this time next week! :rolleyes:

Lake ice out has been getting earlier in the last few decades. The rate at which it has been getting earlier is greater in the recent record than for longer periods. Much of the change appears to arise from a lack of 'late dates'.

OMGOMGOMG!!!!! There will never be ice on Lake Superior again after 2012!!!! Evarrrrr! It'll be so warm you can use it for a hot tub! :rolleyes:

But best of all... I look at the temperature map where it lists the departure from normal there? What do you know? The twin cities is a big blue +2 dot... as well as the west side of the St. Croix which has been a very rapidly developing set of bedroom communities converting from farmland and woods. No shit they will be warming... they're developing heat islands. Yes indeedy, we're burning up here in MN.

oh gawd oh gawd we're all gonna die! You know when I'll believe there's an issue with lake superior? When the bodies of all the sailor's she's killed and preserved down there in her ice cold heart start rising. They're all still there preserved like Birdseye themselves froze them. Gotta just love that.

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — Normally frigid Lake Superior has warmed up faster than usual this summer due to a winter with little ice and a record-warm spring, according to researchers.

Surface temperatures are about 20 degrees higher than normal for this time of year and could be on their way to record highs, researchers at the University of Minnesota Duluth's Large Lakes Observatory said.

Lake Superior warms up earlier than usual, with July temps about 20 degrees above normal - latimes.com

And yet in the Metro Atlanta area this past winter we had three snow storms totaling almost a foot of snow (cumulative total). This past winter was much like we when I was a child, but haven't had one like it in 15 years or so.

Which proves exactly what? Hmm.....?

I say it proves Mother Nature is fickle..... that's what.

Why are you challenging one fact with another that has absolutely no relavence to it? Oh, well, if that's what we're doing, then try this:

Since we started burning fossil fuels, the American league was formed. Since that time, atmospheric CO2 increased.

You need to study the in-field fly rule.

that is about as intelligent as claiming that global warming is the cause of heavier snowfall.

Denying that GW could lead to more snowfall in some places, shows a total lack of understanding of the topic. How much intelligence does it take to realize that warmer temps would lead to more moisture in the atmosphere, anyway?!?!

Can you read?

I said less snowfall overall. That means that, on average, there will be less snowfall across the entire planet. If more moisture always led to more snow, even though the temperature was increasing, then global warming would lead to thicker ice caps and more glaciation.

Which of us is having trouble differentiating between weather, which is short term, and climate, which is long term?

If you want to address what I actually said when you reply to me, I will treat you with some degree of respect. If you just want to parrot talking points please do me the favor and stop quoting me to do it.

So, it should be a piece of cake for you to show us in a lab how temperature increases by a degree or two because you are able to eliminate all variables other than a 200PPM increase in CO2, right?

Not to mention the fact that even at 1440ppm it is still not an issue to anyone but the plants love it.

Can you read?

I said less snowfall overall. That means that, on average, there will be less snowfall across the entire planet. If more moisture always led to more snow, even though the temperature was increasing, then global warming would lead to thicker ice caps and more glaciation.

Which of us is having trouble differentiating between weather, which is short term, and climate, which is long term?

If you want to address what I actually said when you reply to me, I will treat you with some degree of respect. If you just want to parrot talking points please do me the favor and stop quoting me to do it.

You also said "Global warming means it gets warmer everywhere, all the time". That makes no sense at all. Why are temps the same everywhere, but with snow it's about the average? It's either one or the other. You can't have it both ways. Sure I can read. The problem is that what I read needs to make sense, something lacking in your post..

Can you read?

You also said "Global warming means it gets warmer everywhere, all the time". That makes no sense at all. Why are temps the same everywhere, but with snow it's about the average? It's either one or the other. You can't have it both ways. Sure I can read. The problem is that what I read needs to make sense, something lacking in your post..

Sure it does, you just want to try to act like I am an idiot because you disagree with me. Give it your best shot.

The average temp goes up everywhere, all the time, that is the premise of global warming. You can point to higher snowfalls and rationalize all you want, but there is always going to be a difference between climate and weather, and you pointing to weather as proof of climate gets everything backward.

But not the same consistent temperature everywhere. That's where your logic falls apart.

code1211 said:

Just curious. How come 97% (nature) doesn't create smog?

Smog is smoke plus fog. It is not comprised solely of CO2 but rather unburnt hydrocarbons, CO, CO2, SO2 and other chemicals. And although CO and unburnt hydrocarbon gases iaren't created in nature except through combustion, all the other gases are.

Smog is also only a localized phenomenon, not a climate event.

Last edited:
Smog is smoke plus fog. It is not comprised solely of CO2 but rather unburnt hydrocarbons, CO, CO2, SO2 and other chemicals. And although CO and unburnt hydrocarbon gases iaren't created in nature except through combustion, all the other gases are.

Smog is also only a localized phenomenon, not a climate event.

It was really a rhetorical question, as "smog" is only one example of man-made junk filling the atmosphere.

k1334730.jpg

Okay, just making sure it was clear. Lots of people (more than I originally thought) don't know such things.

Forum List

Back