Lake Erie ice flow breaks free of shore with 200 fishermen

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
Yahoo News - Coast Guard: About 150 trapped on Lake Erie ice
At about 11:00 AM up to 200 "fishermen" used plywood and boards to get out on an ice shelf. Winds came up and it broke free with all of them stranded floating on the ice. One has fallen through and CPR had to be administered, but said to be ok. They are being taken off by helicopter and hovercraft. It's necessary for them to be lifted off because an ordinary water craft would cause more break-up and fall throughs at the edges. At 3:00 about 35 remain to be removed. As of 3:30 there has been one fatality as a result.

The daylight is short for this to get done before nightfall. :eusa_pray:

they were warned to stay off the ice, and went out anyway

Seems to happen every year. Usually the DNR will issue a thin ice warning though. Wonder what happened with that?

The Sheriff said that anyone attempting to go out on the ice tomorrow would be arrested, presumably for the own protection, but no doubt to be a deterrent to others with the same idea.

The Sheriff said also that it had cost $40,000 to provide the rescue, which seem low for the effort. It was also said that there were about 500 people out there at the beginning of the day before a wind of about 35 mph came up causing the ice to seperate.

Last edited:
they were warned to stay off the ice, and went out anyway

Seems to happen every year. Usually the DNR will issue a thin ice warning though. Wonder what happened with that?

The Sheriff said that anyone attempting to go out on the ice tomorrow would be arrested, presumably for the own protection, but no doubt to be a deterrent to others with the same idea.

The Sheriff said also that it had cost $40,000 to provide the rescue, which seem low for the effort. It was also said that there were about 500 people out there at the beginning of the day before a wind of about 35 mph came up causing the ice to seperate.

any odds on how many will still try?

there will probably be more tomorrow!
The day of the inaguration they showed people on the pond or whatever it is at the mall. People are real idiots sometimes! You would never catch me out on frozen lake.

The day of the inaguration they showed people on the pond or whatever it is at the mall. People are real idiots sometimes! You would never catch me out on frozen lake.
being on a frozen lake isnt always a bad thing
but when they tell you the ice isnt thick enough, it should be a hint that it isnt safe
lol

I'm with you on that Luissa. Yesterday evening I was at a house looking at some work the people wanted done, and I walked around to the back and slipped in the ice and snow getting muddy and wet on a steep bank. I went back to my truck and went home to change clothes. I'll go back when the weather is better, what the heck! :eusa_whistle:

These people actually built a bridge out of plywood to span the soft areas in the ice. When it moved from the wind their bridge collapsed into the water trapping them on the ice. Late in the day they appeared to mostly be lying down on the ice. I suspect that was to reduce their weight concentration by spreading it out as much as possible, no doubt out of fear for their lives. Once a person fell through the ice it was very, very difficult to extract them without risking other peoples lives. I think this was a bad experience for everyone concerned which few will want to repeat very soon.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back