LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles

using a cell phone while driving is reckless endangerment.

Would you rather it be treated exactly like a DUI?

I would rather cops pull people over for reckless driving if their cell phone conversation is causing them to drive recklessly. Boy, what an idea.

Tell me something, genius. If they disable cell phone use in everyone's vehicle and you go sliding off the road night, smash into a tree, and are trapped in your car, how are you going to call anyone for help?

use your onboard onstar. toss a distress beacon from your car. honk your horn.

What did people do before they had cell phones? Do you think that the cell phone is a right now?

I think it would be great if all public spaces disabled them! Restaurants, theaters, buses, airplanes etc.
Gotta love that law and order liberalism.
yes, screw technology.
One time my mother in a fit said "when I was your age ,we didn't have a telephone"...Yeah ok.
You are a living art masterpiece. Let's just stop designing and building things.
33,000 people died in car crashes last year. Let's ban cars. They are noisy and dirty. They upset the sensitivities of tree huggers.
I usually do not respond to posters like this. But you truly are a closed minded asshole.

Wow, they just won't quit, will they. The older I get the less I recognize this nation. More justification of a police state to keep us "safe." Are the American people going to stand back and let this happen?

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said using a cell phone while driving is so dangerous that devices may soon be installed in cars to forcibly stop drivers — and potentially anyone else in the vehicle — from using them.

“There’s a lot of technology out there now that can disable phones and we’re looking at that,” said LaHood on MSNBC. LaHood said the cellphone scramblers were one way, and also stressed the importance of “personal responsibility.”

The hosts of Morning Joe pushed the secretary about the possibility of requiring scrambling technology installed in vehicles.

“I think it will be done,” said LaHood. “I think the technology is there and I think you’re going to see the technology become adaptable in automobiles to disable these cell phones. We need to do a lot more if were going to save lives.”

Secretary of Transportation LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

My idiot child drove through a red light into an intersection and was t-boned because she was texting. As far as I am concerned, this is a fabulous idea and I'm hard pressed to think of any situation that you need a cell but cannot shut off the engine.

You just saw a man abduct a child and he is in the car in front of you. You would like to call the police, but cannot do so and follow him at the same time.

Wow, they just won't quit, will they. The older I get the less I recognize this nation. More justification of a police state to keep us "safe." Are the American people going to stand back and let this happen?

What a wonderful idea. The first time someone gets in an acciident and cannot call for help they can sue the government for disabling their cell phone.
set it to disable with the deployment of airbags or whenever sensors detect an impact. Or, have it disable only when the car is in "Park". that'd be better.

Because we all know that electronics always work in a crash.

For those of you who think this is a universally bad thing, ask yourself this:

Do you want school bus drivers texting or chatting on their cell phone while taking your kid to school? Remember, they weigh 13000 lbs, do not stop quick and can carry up to 80 small children... one of whom could be yours.

Now... if it's a good idea for them, why is it not a good idea for you too?

(But I still insist this is not a federal issue, but a state one.)

Isn't that already against the law? Besides, suppose it turns out that someone gets on the school bus with a gun and has the driver pull into a warehouse somewhere? Wouldn't you want you child to be able to call police before the bus is stopped?

A child riding on a bus is not driving.
This just needs to target the driver.

so the analogy about the kids on a bus needing to call for help is bogus.

There is no way to disable only one phone in a vehicle, other than turning that phone off.

Amazing how people made it for 80 years or so in cars without cell phones.

You know what else amazes me? That people were able to do anything before cars were invented. Maybe we should solve the problem by outlawing cars.

Outlawing people would work better but like outlawing cars is not a viable option.
think of the revenue stream that ticketing drivers on cell phones would generate.

Amazing how people made it for 80 years or so in cars without cell phones.

You know what else amazes me? That people were able to do anything before cars were invented. Maybe we should solve the problem by outlawing cars.

Outlawing people would work better but like outlawing cars is not a viable option.
think of the revenue stream that ticketing drivers on cell phones would generate.

Why do you think so many studies are suddenly showing that it is dangerous to use a cell phone while driving?

Yeah? Try a soccer mom and the 6 kids she's taking to whattever function she needs to get to. Same damn thing. You say it's bogus, I say it's just a matter of scale.

Do you want school bus drivers texting or chatting on their cell phone while taking your kid to school? Remember, they weigh 13000 lbs, do not stop quick and can carry up to 80 small children... one of whom could be yours.

I'd give the Cop License to stomp on the phone for something like that. Phones should not be disabled in vehicles though. Unless you think it is logical to apply the same reasoning to Radio and GPS Navigation Devises, Or a law against people with a double digit IQ operating a car under those conditions.

Why do you think so many studies are suddenly showing that it is dangerous to use a cell phone while driving?

Umm because it is true?
Naah could not be that simple,

Isn't that already against the law? Besides, suppose it turns out that someone gets on the school bus with a gun and has the driver pull into a warehouse somewhere? Wouldn't you want you child to be able to call police before the bus is stopped?
Federal law for commercial drivers. They see you even with a hands free in, it's a 4 figure fine and termination, plus they take away your license.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said using a cell phone while driving is so dangerous that devices may soon be installed in cars to forcibly stop drivers — and potentially anyone else in the vehicle — from using them.

“There’s a lot of technology out there now that can disable phones and we’re looking at that,” said LaHood on MSNBC. LaHood said the cellphone scramblers were one way, and also stressed the importance of “personal responsibility.”

The hosts of Morning Joe pushed the secretary about the possibility of requiring scrambling technology installed in vehicles.

“I think it will be done,” said LaHood. “I think the technology is there and I think you’re going to see the technology become adaptable in automobiles to disable these cell phones. We need to do a lot more if were going to save lives.”

Secretary of Transportation LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

My idiot child drove through a red light into an intersection and was t-boned because she was texting. As far as I am concerned, this is a fabulous idea and I'm hard pressed to think of any situation that you need a cell but cannot shut off the engine.

Your fault for not warning your idiot child" in the first place. Hopefully you took the child's driving privledges away until he/she moves out of your home. If not, you are a negligent enabler of stupidity.
There are those in my industry that must be in communication with our companies 24/7. In your world, because your offspring is too stupid to put down the idiot box, people in my business as well as our customers should suffer?
I suppose the police who use cell communication to other officers when radio communications may be inappropriate should have to put their cell devices away as well? This could endanger police officers as well as endanger the public. Does that not bother you?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
What a wonderful idea. The first time someone gets in an acciident and cannot call for help they can sue the government for disabling their cell phone.
set it to disable with the deployment of airbags or whenever sensors detect an impact. Or, have it disable only when the car is in "Park". that'd be better.

Because we all know that electronics always work in a crash.
You're right. It's not a perfect world. And people follow kidnappers so often we should make sure the law takes that into account. Come on... if we cater to the extreme minority, the problem continues or gets worse.

Umm because it is true?
Naah could not be that simple,

Color me skeptical. Traffic fatalities are going down, and have been for years. Cell phones have been becoming more common over that same period of time. The only way those studies could be true is if other factors that contribute to accidents suddenly decreased significantly. The numbers do not add up.

Unless you think it is logical to apply the same reasoning to Radio and GPS Navigation Devises,

The proof coming out in many studies recently that Radios and GPS devices, although hazardous are far less distracting than the cell phone. Scientists are still baffled by why this is. Talking on the cell phone is equal to having a BAC of .08. Texting? Shit... you're 3 sheets to the wind.

Federal law for commercial drivers. They see you even with a hands free in, it's a 4 figure fine and termination, plus they take away your license.

I will remember that the next time I see a driver texting on two phones at the same time.

Your fault for not warning your idiot child" in the first place.

Listen, children are stupid on stuff like this all the time. I can tell a child sit down while on the bus, and if something catches their attention they will do it again, not 10 seconds after I said it. You're asking for impulse control in a hormone ravaged teenager who knows it all? pfft. Dreaming!

use your onboard onstar. toss a distress beacon from your car. honk your horn.

How many people have Onstar? I shouldn't need to have Onstar. I'm already paying for a cell phone. Who is going to hear you honking your horn flying passed at 60 miles per hour?

What did people do before they had cell phones?

They sat there and waited for someone to find them, hopefully not after having suffered for too long and not before they died.

Do you think that the cell phone is a right now?

Yeah, I do think it's my right you fascist mother fucker. This is America. Perhaps you'll fit in better in North Korea.

I think it would be great if all public spaces disabled them! Restaurants, theaters, buses, airplanes etc.

Oh so you think going to a restaurant, theater, bus, or airplane is a right now?

what are you, like a 12 yo kid? You got the most surrealistic case of entitlement mania going that I have ever seen.

It is ILLEGAL for you to use your cell while driving. Get caught twice, you should lose your license. Just like a DUI.

Forum List

Back