LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles

Cops should pull cell phone records of all drivers involved in accidents to see if their cell phone was in use at the time of the crash.
Not for the content of the call/text just useage times.

An accident that happened in my home town recently-

Mark Tiburzi was on his way to the Brentwood Promenade from Chesterfield when he got stuck in traffic on Highway 40 (Interstate 64) and in the path of a tractor-trailer loaded with scrap aluminum.

<snip>

Phone distracted driver, report says

Illinois woman crashes pickup while changing radio station

Illinois woman crashes pickup while changing radio station

GOOSE LAKE, Iowa &#8212; An Illinois woman was injured Saturday morning when she lost control of her pickup while trying to change the radio station, according to the Clinton County Sheriff&#8217;s Office.

The accident occurred at 9:26 a.m. just west of the intersection of Iowa 136 and Main Street in Goose Lake. Jennifer D. Magee, 18, of Alexis, Ill., was driving a 1994 Chevrolet S-10 pickup westbound on Iowa 136 when she reached to change the radio station and drove off the road into the north ditch, according to a deputy&#8217;s report.

The truck missed a light pole, then exited the ditch and came back onto the road, where it slid sideways and overturned, landing on the passenger side.

Magee was taken by Preston Ambulance to Mercy Medical Center-Clinton. The hospital did not have any information about her condition Monday.

Magee was cited for failure to maintain control, a financial liability violation and operating an unregistered vehicle.

Last edited:
The crime I would like to see changed is the high speed chase. Just equip all cop cars with the M79 grenade launcher, and use it at their earliest convince to blow those bastards off the road.

m79-2.jpg

Last edited:
Cops should pull cell phone records of all drivers involved in accidents to see if their cell phone was in use at the time of the crash.
Not for the content of the call/text just useage times.

Are you saying that someone who has their phone in the trunk of the car is automatically guilty if it is taking a voice mail?

The crime I would like to see changed is the high speed chase. Just equip all cop cars with the M79 grenade launcher, and use it at their earliest convince to blow those bastards off the road.

m79-2.jpg

Does that attitude include the little girl that they kidnapped?

m79-2.jpg

I actually gave this some thought after seeing something on TV where they chased a guy, got him stopped and then the driver saw a hole and slipped away while surrounded by police with guns drawn.

The police where afraid to fire for fear of collateral damage.

I thought "Ya know what they need? A bow. Put an arrow or two through the radiator, and that guy wouldn't get far".

A 30 or 40 pound pull would penetrate a radiator at close range without fear of penetrating a house, car or building and without as much worry about ricochet.

Or do you just think we have a constitutional right to endanger ourselves and others whilst driving?

You're asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is what part of the Constitution gives the Federal government the authority to disable my cell phone in my car? There answer is they have no such authority. That's the only argument that matters.

Wow, they just won't quit, will they. The older I get the less I recognize this nation. More justification of a police state to keep us "safe." Are the American people going to stand back and let this happen?

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said using a cell phone while driving is so dangerous that devices may soon be installed in cars to forcibly stop drivers — and potentially anyone else in the vehicle — from using them.

“There’s a lot of technology out there now that can disable phones and we’re looking at that,” said LaHood on MSNBC. LaHood said the cellphone scramblers were one way, and also stressed the importance of “personal responsibility.”

The hosts of Morning Joe pushed the secretary about the possibility of requiring scrambling technology installed in vehicles.

“I think it will be done,” said LaHood. “I think the technology is there and I think you’re going to see the technology become adaptable in automobiles to disable these cell phones. We need to do a lot more if were going to save lives.”

Secretary of Transportation LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

My idiot child drove through a red light into an intersection and was t-boned because she was texting. As far as I am concerned, this is a fabulous idea and I'm hard pressed to think of any situation that you need a cell but cannot shut off the engine.

Then get rid of them. Put people in jail for using one in a moving vehicle. Other then that everything else is total oppression.

I am getting really sick of being scared to death by the asshole behind me texting or whatever on the phone, looking down at it while driving behind me, in traffic. I have to change lanes to get away from these idiots. They almost crash into me like once a week.

Such stupid drivers. I WISH there was technology to shut them down.

The technology exists.

Ban the sale of cell phones if this bothers you so much.

Having a cell phone is a convenience that too many abuse. Inventing new technology to disable them will just cost everyone money and is invasive to the max. Putting out a scrambling signal will also scramble radio reception FYI. Do you think that won't cause a hornet's nest with radio broadcasters?

My idiot child drove through a red light into an intersection and was t-boned because she was texting. As far as I am concerned, this is a fabulous idea and I'm hard pressed to think of any situation that you need a cell but cannot shut off the engine.

I bet she doesn't drive and text anymore. Quite a way to learn a lesson. She's lucky she wasn't killed.

Forum List

Back