Lady kicked off plane for breast-feeding..

I wouldn't say it's child abuse, but the mothers, I think, have issues about letting go.

Okay - I'd grant you that - sorta...but it's a CLEAR sign of mental instability on the behalf of the mother. They certianly aren't doing it for the KID's benefit. :(

Okay - I'd grant you that - sorta...but it's a CLEAR sign of mental instability on the behalf of the mother. They certianly aren't doing it for the KID's benefit. :(

Agreed. They think they are providing "bonding" and "security" for the kid, allowing him to breastfeed as long as he wants. But, I've seen these kids. Up to about the age of 5, it is like coming up to Mom for a hug; they duck under the shirt, take a couple sucks, then go back to playing. The kids definitely do not need the nutrition at that point. Seems that they could achieve "bonding" and "security" in other ways besides boobies. As a matter of fact, it might be helpful to the kid's growth if they explored other ways to get those things. It may be causeing the association of "comfort" with food.

Honestly, from what I have seen, though, it doesn't do too much harm to the kid. It's more the Mom who needs to extend her identity beyond motherhood. A well-rounded woman is a better mother, wife, friend, sister, etc.

Breastfeeding is the one thing that only you can provide; keep the child thinking he still desperately needs it, and you are automatically indispensable.

I think there is a good chance that the wife has decided that being "needed" as a mother is the only role that really matters. I feel sorry for husbands whose wives are still breastfeeding 2 year olds. I wouldn't be surprised if the husband is basically relegated to the role of $$$ provider and Mr. Fix It.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Breastfeeding is the one thing that only you can provide; keep the child thinking he still desperately needs it, and you are automatically indispensable.

I think there is a good chance that the wife has decided that being "needed" as a mother is the only role that really matters. I feel sorry for husbands whose wives are still breastfeeding 2 year olds. I wouldn't be surprised if the husband is basically relegated to the role of $$$ provider and Mr. Fix It.

Yes. In some of the more militant LLL women I met, the men were either VERY into "women's issues," putting the wife in charge of the family unit almost to the point of the wife mothering the husband, or the men were distant and uninvolved, truly just the money-makers.

Yes. In some of the more militant LLL women I met, the men were either VERY into "women's issues," putting the wife in charge of the family unit almost to the point of the wife mothering the husband, or the men were distant and uninvolved, truly just the money-makers.

What a wacky world. :)

I become nausiated when I see how popular culture PRAISES women who refuse to submit, appropriately, and Men who refuse to lead appropriately. :(

I become nausiated when I see how popular culture PRAISES women who refuse to submit, appropriately, and Men who refuse to lead appropriately. :(

Why should women "submit"? And who decides what's appropriate? The guys who want women in burkas, maybe?

And pretty :lame2: to edit someone's post when you respond to it.

WONDERFUL book on the topic--- Love & Respect, by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. Every couple should read this book.

But I guess this is a topic for another thread. Of course, you started the thread, so I guess if anyone was allowed to derail it, it would be you. :)

Why should women "submit"? And who decides what's appropriate? The guys who want women in burkas, maybe?

Jillian, I WOULD explain it (again)...it being 'how a marriage should work'...but I honestly think you have THICK mental blocks to inconvienient or not-PC truths.

Jillian, I WOULD explain it (again)...it being 'how a marriage should work'...but I honestly think you have THICK mental blocks to inconvienient or not-PC truths.

No. I don't need you to tell me how a marriage should work. Nor would I presume to tell you how yours should.

Or is not setting the rules for other people too much for you? I mean... the imams think they know how a marriage should work, too. They like women to "submit" also.

No. I don't need you to tell me how a marriage should work. Nor would I presume to tell you how yours should.

Or is not setting the rules for other people too much for you? I mean... the imams think they know how a marriage should work, too. They like women to "submit" also.

Islamic subjugation is NOTHING like Biblical submission.

There's nothing wrong with being Politically Direct rather than Politically "Correct"! People are so afraid lately to actually speak an opinion for fear somebody will call them one of those attempted conversation enders like "racist" etc.

Breast feeding is only a problem because our society, in general, objectifies women as sex-objects. Thus any perfectly natural display of female anatomy, such as is involved in breast-feeding, becomes sexually charged. Perhaps to adolescent boys in the grips of raging hormones. Adults are not bothered in the least by it.

What utter hogwash. Women are suppossed to meekly submit to their husbands? Sounds like you would be RIGHT at home with the Taliban. :rolleyes:

Islamic subjugation is NOTHING like Biblical submission.

<blockquote>21Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband. - Ephesians 5:21-33</blockquote>

Unfortunately, most of the religious right-wingers I've known emphasize verse 22 and ignore everything else.

And similarly, the Quran states:

<blockquote>[3:195] Their Lord responded to them: "I never fail to reward any worker among you for any work you do, be you male or female - you are equal to one another.</blockquote>

And just like their Christian counter parts, Islamic extremists ignore this verse, and emphasize the submission to men bit. But to my mind, any man who wants a woman to submit to him, without question, is a limp-wristed milque-toast who fears women in the first place.

For crying out loud....All the lady had to do was put a receiving blanket over herself......That's what I did, no friggin biggie...

But this was NO BABIE, this kid was toddler....I don't even know how she could cram a two yr old in those cramp ass seats to breast feed to begin with....

Shheeeeeeessh....

For crying out loud....All the lady had to do was put a receiving blanket over herself......That's what I did, no friggin biggie...

But this was NO BABIE, this kid was toddler....I don't even know how she could cram a two yr old in those cramp ass seats to breast feed to begin with....

Shheeeeeeessh....

Careful you might actually get this thread back on topic.

Nienna's right though there are some militants at LLL that say a women should be able to bare it all to whatever age since they're simply nurturing the child.

Forum List

Back