Lady Chatterley's Lover: Export ban placed on judge's copy

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Export ban on judge's Lady Chatterley

The government has temporarily blocked the export of a book used by the judge in one of Britain's most famous trials.

DH Lawrence's controversial novel, Lady Chatterley's Lover, was at the centre of an obscenity trial in 1960.

The paperback copy includes sexually explicit passages marked up by judge Sir Laurence Byrne's wife Lady Dorothy.

The new owner of the book, which sold for £56,250 last year, plans to take it abroad but UK buyers now have until October to match that sum.

The prosecution of Penquin Boooks was seen as an important landmark in ushering in the "permissive" society.

The Judge screwed up the prosecution case by asking the Jury if they would "allow their servants" to read the book. The whole of the UK laughed at the old buffer and the 60s was ushered in.

I remember that getting passed around in 8th grade English with the "good parts" bookmarked.

Export ban on judge's Lady Chatterley

The government has temporarily blocked the export of a book used by the judge in one of Britain's most famous trials.

DH Lawrence's controversial novel, Lady Chatterley's Lover, was at the centre of an obscenity trial in 1960.

The paperback copy includes sexually explicit passages marked up by judge Sir Laurence Byrne's wife Lady Dorothy.

The new owner of the book, which sold for £56,250 last year, plans to take it abroad but UK buyers now have until October to match that sum.

The prosecution of Penquin Boooks was seen as an important landmark in ushering in the "permissive" society.

The Judge screwed up the prosecution case by asking the Jury if they would "allow their servants" to read the book. The whole of the UK laughed at the old buffer and the 60s was ushered in.

Let me tell you how it ends, Tommy.
SPOILER ALERT
The boy has an outie and the girl has an innie.

I remember that getting passed around in 8th grade English with the "good parts" bookmarked.
Ive never actually read it. I found Lawrence a bit downbeat for my taste.
I don't like him either, but I did read Chatterly. It was on a list of "classics" I needed to read in order to be well read.
We used to read the "Skinhead"books for filth. Passed around in Assembly when we should have been praising God.

It's funny how society managed to accept obscenity during the 60's while jack booted thugs were smashing every religious icon from public view under the fake concept of "separation of church and state".

It's funny how society managed to accept obscenity during the 60's while jack booted thugs were smashing every religious icon from public view under the fake concept of "separation of church and state".
Probably Sheev Palpatine was behind it all.

Wasnt it just a freedom of expression issue ?

Forum List

Back