Ladies!

Paulie;1587738[COLOR="Blue" said:
]I catch more shit for not leaving little love notes for her to find in her car in the morning when she leaves for the day, than just about anything else.

To you girls, the big gestures only mean that we're thinking of you right THEN. The small [/COLOR]ones mean you're on our minds constantly. You get insecure wondering if we're thinking of you on a random Tuesday afternoon at 1:24 pm.

Does she leave you notes?

I thought signs of affection were supposed to be of ones own volition.

]I catch more shit for not leaving little love notes for her to find in her car in the morning when she leaves for the day, than just about anything else.

To you girls, the big gestures only mean that we're thinking of you right THEN. The small [/COLOR]ones mean you're on our minds constantly. You get insecure wondering if we're thinking of you on a random Tuesday afternoon at 1:24 pm.

They are.

They are.

Then the wife in question shouldn't be complaining, in my opinion.

It was just an example of what women want from their men. I tell her all the time though to stop complaining about what small things I'm not doing for her, because eventually she's going to list them all and then nothing will have meaning anymore because she mentioned them all :lol:

Just because a man or a woman doesn't display their affection in the same manner as the spouse or significant other does, that doesn't make their display of affection wrong, or any less meaningful than the partner.

The important aspect in all of this, is to be who you are.

When a person gets upset with us, because we did not act as they expected us to in this area, the problem is theirs. I appreciate the person who has the courage to see me for who I am, and not some ghost of lost expectations.

It was just an example of what women want from their men. I tell her all the time though to stop complaining about what small things I'm not doing for her, because eventually she's going to list them all and then nothing will have meaning anymore because she mentioned them all :lol:

I don't think it is fair to categorize it as all women and all men. We are all individuals. There is a reason she acts the way she does. Gender has nothing to do with it.

I don't think it is fair to categorize it as all women and all men. We are all individuals. There is a reason she acts the way she does. Gender has nothing to do with it.

Agreed. Though to not learn from others, or steal their ideas would be the epitome of stupidity.

They are.

Good thing you're not the one married to her then. :lol:
We all have our foibles, BGG. We're talking about romance here. What's more romantic than taking a moment to tell somebody you're thinking about them and care, warts and all?

I certainly didn't categorize anything as "all" of anything. I spoke in the 2nd person towards the women here, but to literally take that as meaning I'm speaking for all of any specific gender is pointless. It's just a figure of speech.

They are.

We all have our foibles, BGG. We're talking about romance here. What's more romantic than taking a moment to tell somebody you're thinking about them and care, warts and all?
I understand about idiosyncrasies. See my prior post.

If I understand Paulie correctly, it is not a matter of him not being romantic. It is a matter of him not being romantic in the exact manner she expects him to be every single day.

I certainly didn't categorize anything as "all" of anything. I spoke in the 2nd person towards the women here, but to literally take that as meaning I'm speaking for all of any specific gender is pointless. It's just a figure of speech.

All I had to go on were your words as presented. Thank you for the clarification.

If I understand Paulie correctly, it is not a matter of him not being romantic. It is a matter of him not being romantic in the exact manner she expects him to be every single day.

Somehow I get the feeling Paulie doesn't really mind as much as all that. ;)

I don't mind, it's not really that big an issue in the relationship. Just something that gets thrown out every once in a while, and probably something I deserve from time to time. The fact is, I'm not ALWAYS thinking about her at 1:24 pm on a random Tuesday afternoon. She just has to understand that and live with it. Which I think she does.

I am a very romantic person. I have no problems expressing myself in that area. It is who I am.

Far too often, some people are apt to get caught up in the action of it all. And when that happens, they stop seeing and experiencing the heart and soul behind the actions. That is one of the reasons why I said be who you are.

Nothing wrong with taking some good ideas from others, and incorporating them into your relationship.

Si brought up an excellent point the other day in the political forum. Her comment was addressing the fact that we don't always convey ourselves in the manner we think we do. And when we do, it may not be received and interpreted in the manner intended. And that is when we hit the proverbial communication brick wall.

I don't mind, it's not really that big an issue in the relationship. Just something that gets thrown out every once in a while, and probably something I deserve from time to time. The fact is, I'm not ALWAYS thinking about her at 1:24 pm on a random Tuesday afternoon. She just has to understand that and live with it. Which I think she does.

You're a good man, Paulie.

I am a very romantic person. I have no problems expressing myself in that area. It is who I am.

Far too often, some people are apt to get caught up in the action of it all. And when that happens, they stop seeing and experiencing the heart and soul behind the actions. That is one of the reasons why I said be who you are.

Nothing wrong with taking some good ideas from others, and incorporating them into your relationship.

Si brought up an excellent point the other day in the political forum. Her comment was addressing the fact that we don't always convey ourselves in the manner we think we do. And when we do, it may not be received and interpreted in the manner intended. And that is when we hit the proverbial communication brick wall.

Si was absolutely correct.
Sometimes there will always be communication breakdowns. People are human, humans are not entirely rational creatures as much as it might be easier otherwise. We get tired, or irritable, or stressed, or just plain don't listen to what we sound like when we talk. Shit happens. Which is exactly why the small things are so important.

Si was absolutely correct.
Sometimes there will always be communication breakdowns. People are human, humans are not entirely rational creatures as much as it might be easier otherwise. We get tired, or irritable, or stressed, or just plain don't listen to what we sound like when we talk. Shit happens. Which is exactly why the small things are so important.

And now we are right back to what I saying moments ago. :eusa_angel:

I will leave you ladies to share your romance stories. I have talked psychology enough.

After our oldest daughter's wedding a few years ago, my Mom and I were talking and she told me that my daughter was the most beautiful bride she had ever seen. About a week later I was at work when the florist delivery guy walked in with a beautiful vase of flowers. I opened the card from my husband that said, " Your Mom said she'd never seen a bride more beautiful, but I can think of one. I love you."
That STILL gets him points :)

The most romantic thing I have ever done was to take my jacket off and throw it over a mudpuddle so my darling could cross the puddle without getting dirty.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, there was a large, deep hole in the middle of the puddle. So when she stepped on my jacket, she quickly sunk down and ended up snapping her lower leg in half - compound fracture with the bone sticking out.

It got really infected because the mudpuddle wasn't really a mudpuddle, but an overflow of sewage. The infection got so bad, that she needed an above the knee amputation.

In hindsight, we could have easily walked around the puddle...but I guess I'm just one of those hopeless romantics.

Forum List

Back