Ladies.....artificial nails

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Have any of you tried applying nail tips and the overlay yourself?
Even if you go to a salon, have you learned anything watching them? I could use some pointers if you have. I usually do a full-cover nail but this seems to be better both for strength and nail health. Some woman I met does this herself & her nails are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. So with her encouragement, I invested in all the stuff. I'm about ready to attempt this feat. Any suggestions?

Joz said:
Even if you go to a salon, have you learned anything watching them? I could use some pointers if you have. I usually do a full-cover nail but this seems to be better both for strength and nail health. Some woman I met does this herself & her nails are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. So with her encouragement, I invested in all the stuff. I'm about ready to attempt this feat. Any suggestions?

Take your time. It's been years since I've used those, but if I remember correctly I think I glued the tips on first, then filed the tips down where the tips and my nail meet, then I applied the overlay and filed some more, then applied some more overlay and filed more. try to get the overlay on as smooth as possible, less filing you'll have to do.

khafley said:
Take your time. It's been years since I've used those, but if I remember correctly I think I glued the tips on first, then filed the tips down where the tips and my nail meet, then I applied the overlay and filed some more, then applied some more overlay and filed more. try to get the overlay on as smooth as possible, less filing you'll have to do.
You described the process quite acurately! Thanks for the input. I'll let you know just how badly I screw this up!

Joz said:

Simply put, a steady hand, even layers, and patience. Practice on your pinky nail before you tackle all 10. Or, you can go to a beauty supply store (Sally Beauty Supply, for example), and ask for a "practice finger" for about $2.00, and buy some cheap nails to practice with.

khafley said:

And use the glue sparingly, as you will wind up doing more filing than is necessary

And don't do the Acrylic nails, they stink up your house! My mother is a Manicurist, I used to hate it when she did those.

One doesn't have to do acrylics anymore.. They now make odorless, gel kits that require no UV lighting anymore..

Shattered said:
One doesn't have to do acrylics anymore.. They now make odorless, gel kits that require no UV lighting anymore..

That's good to know. Ignore my comment it was made from a position of ignorance...

Shattered said:
I got the gel stuff (from Sally's) but it does require the UV lamp. I did try one that's on the market but it didn't last. I'd stick with the full cover nails but even the salon glues aren't strong enough alone. I wonder when the bar goes to clean out the coolers how many fingernails they'll find?!

Forum List

Back