Lack of Driver's Ed in Schools hurts Poor families

You don't need a professional course to learn how to drive. It's a luxury. My kids' school only charges $150, but if they didn't have it, we would have taught them.

At the school where I work, we only have one teacher certified for behind the wheel. He is retiring this year. I have a feeling that if no one else goes for certification, our program will be scrapped too. It's a shame, but like the others posted, school's can't provide everything - esp. in these times.

In WA state you are required to have drivers ed if you desire a license before age 18.

So what? Is the world gonna end if a kid waits till 18 to drive? No.
Did I say the world was ending? No. I was explaining what the rules are in my state.

A drivers license is crucial in a rural district in the U.S. for a young person to get to a job, and now that my teenagers are so involved in sports and other school activities, it would be extremely helpful to have my daughter driving. The Western U.S. is sorely lacking in public transportation, esp in rural districts. I am a single parent and work long hours on the days I work, so having my daughter drive will be a great boon, both to her and to me.

You don't need a professional course to learn how to drive. It's a luxury. My kids' school only charges $150, but if they didn't have it, we would have taught them.

At the school where I work, we only have one teacher certified for behind the wheel. He is retiring this year. I have a feeling that if no one else goes for certification, our program will be scrapped too. It's a shame, but like the others posted, school's can't provide everything - esp. in these times.

In WA state you are required to have drivers ed if you desire a license before age 18.

Wow. I thought Jersey was tough. Here you can get your permit at 16 if you have behind the wheel; 16 1/2 without. I think PA is 16 for a license.

18? Maybe they should change that law for crying out loud. How do kids get jobs?

Wow. I thought Jersey was tough. Here you can get your permit at 16 if you have behind the wheel; 16 1/2 without. I think PA is 16 for a license.

18? Maybe they should change that law for crying out loud. How do kids get jobs?

Entirely my point. It severely undermines the underclass. And, remember, public transportation is totally inadequate out West.

How is a teenager from a poor family supposed to get ahead, in a totally car dependent culture, with this restriction.

WA State Licensing: Teens

License requirements
Before you can get a driver license, you must:
Be at least 16 years old.
Pass a traffic safety education course.
Have an instruction permit for at least 6 months.
Get at least 50 hours of supervised driving practice (including 10 hours at night) with someone who has been licensed for 5 years or more.
Not have any traffic violations within 6 months of applying for the license.
Not have been convicted of any alcohol or drug offense while holding an instruction permit.
When you can take your driver license tests

You may start the testing process after completing traffic safety education and meeting these requirements:
If you’re less than 16 years old, you must have had your instruction permit for at least 4 months and be within 60 days of your 16th birthday.
If you’re between 16 and 18 years old, you must have had your instruction permit for at least 4 months from the date of issue.
How to get your license
Once you’ve met all the requirements, visit a driver licensing office and:
Apply for a driver license. When you apply, you must:
Present the signed certificate showing you’ve passed an approved traffic safety education course. If you don’t have your certificate, ask your driver training school for a copy before you apply for your license. If the school has closed, contact us at [email protected] or 360-902-0110.
Have a parent or guardian sign a Parental Authorization Affidavit at the licensing office to confirm your driving practice and grant you permission to get a license.
Pay the application fee.
Pass the knowledge test (if you haven’t already passed it).
Pass the driving test. Driving tests are available by appointment only.
Pass a vision screening.
Present proof of identity.
Provide your Social Security number, or sign a declaration if you don’t have one.
Have your photograph taken.

That's crazy. In NJ we have a "graduated system" that's kinda complicated but makes sense safety-wise. Kids get their permits at 16; get a "cinderella license" at 17, and a real one at 18. Maybe they could try that in WA. A lot of safety research says it works.

That's crazy. In NJ we have a "graduated system" that's kinda complicated but makes sense safety-wise. Kids get their permits at 16; get a "cinderella license" at 17, and a real one at 18. Maybe they could try that in WA. A lot of safety research says it works.

Here they can get a permit at 15 if they've had the course, and at 15 1/2 without the course, but they need the course to get a license before 18. The first 6 months they have a license, it has restrictions.

Forum List

Back