Lack of Driver's Ed in Schools hurts Poor families

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
In 2002 the schools around here stopped having driver's ed in the curriculum. Now, if my daughter wants her license it will cost $420 for a private course. Meanwhile taxes are skyrocketing, schools have conflict resolution fluff and a mental health classes, the kids can't spell anymore, and drivers ed, a vital skill used everyday, is left up to the parents.

Heck, I have a comfortable income, yet $420 sounds very steep to me. I'm thinking of a compromise with her if she wants her license before 18. She's going to have to stop spending her money on clothes and cough up half of this fee.

And, what about the kids from poor families? They have no chance to get a license. And we wonder why there is a growing gulf between the rich and poor? More and more our schools have penalized the kids from less advantaged families. I'll bet a lot of parents are putting this fee on their credit cards so their kids can keep up with the Jones' kids.

My daughter is going to have to pay for part of her fee. She's been spending her money on clothes and make up, and reality is hitting her in the face. She won't have enough to join in the Feb course unless she buckles down. She'll have to wait until April.

It just aggravates me because the schools have hundreds of computers, they actually have a mental health class, they want more money than ever before, they need power point projectors in every class, which is all unnecessary to my old mind.

They look more and more fancy every year to me. Yet they don't provide what was a basic part of the curriculum in my day.

They demand more and more from parents. Everything must be on a grand level. They even have a Las Vegas style reader board in front of the school, which incidentally is a rural school with a graduating class of 45 last year.

Lack of Driver's Ed in Schools hurts Poor families

Four Hundred bucks is a little bit of a chunk of change, no doubt. But it's nothing compared to the cost of owning and operating a car. Just a wee bit of perspective for the wee wee'd up over the "caste divide", lol.

Driver's Ed cost a school district around $800 per student per class, assuming they find a local automotive dealer willing to donate a suitable vehicle. Budget cuts must be made, I voted to cut Drivers Ed before I voted to cut Math, so sorry about that.

It just aggravates me because the schools have hundreds of computers, they actually have a mental health class, they want more money than ever before, they need power point projectors in every class, which is all unnecessary to my old mind.

They look more and more fancy every year to me. Yet they don't provide what was a basic part of the curriculum in my day.

They demand more and more from parents. Everything must be on a grand level. They even have a Las Vegas style reader board in front of the school, which incidentally is a rural school with a graduating class of 45 last year.

Yikes. That does sound supremely wasteful and bone headed.

just sarcasm of course.
I agree is sucks. I grows the caste divide in America.

This is what I see happening in our school system. They've actually upped the ante for parents over the years and have become less Democratic.

I have to say here, that I attended school in a very wealthy school district in the 1960s and 70s. My folks were busy and little was required of parents. Some moms were involved, but basically the schools were neutral places of learning where kids received instruction, and parents expected the kids to bring home good grades.

Now the schools expect high levels of parental involvement, and kids even get graded on it. Yet, they don't provide basic skills any more, like home economics, wood shop, drives ed. When I went to school these things were mandatory. Now, everything is college prep, with lots of extra credit for endless parental involvement. This leaves the kids with incapable parents out in the cold. And, it creates a generation growing up dependent on having their asses wiped, and unprepared for adulthood.

just sarcasm of course.

This is what I see happening in our school system. They've actually upped the ante for parents over the years and have become less Democratic.

I have to say here, that I attended school in a very wealthy school district in the 1960s and 70s. My folks were busy and little was required of parents. Some moms were involved, but basically the schools were neutral places of learning where kids received instruction, and parents expected the kids to bring home good grades.

Now the schools expect high levels of parental involvement, and kids even get graded on it. Yet, they don't provide basic skills any more, like home economics, wood shop, drives ed. When I went to school these things were mandatory. Now, everything is college prep, with lots of extra credit for endless parental involvement. This leaves the kids with incapable parents out in the cold. And, it creates a generation growing up dependent on having their asses wiped, and unprepared for adulthood.

Schools should teach basic skills. Reading, Writing, Math,Home ec, wood shop, and drivers ed...ect. are electives.

Its not the schools job to prepare children for adulthood, but the parents.

I agree $400 is a bit steep, but if parents want their children to learn to drive and have a license then they can pay for it. If not then the children can wait and pay for it on their own later. How about a babysitting job for the summer? Mow some grass? You know the old fashioned way of working for something you want and not having it handed to you as something you are entitled to.

just sarcasm of course.

Schools should teach basic skills. Reading, Writing, Math,Home ec, wood shop, and drivers ed...ect. are electives.

I agree $400 is a bit steep, but if parents want their children to learn to drive and have a license then they can pay for it. If not then the children can wait and pay for it on their own later. How about a babysitting job for the summer? Mow some grass? You know the old fashioned way of working for something you want and not having it handed to you as something you are entitled to.

This is a tough one for me...

I too say if ya want a license, then ya should be willing to pay to learn how to drive.
Heck, if ya cant afford to learn then how can ya afford to buy a car?

But on the other hand... the school district where I live has built several new schools in the last couple of years, and I kid you not... they could pass for Roman palaces!

Holy crap.... these things have to cost millions and millions to build, but yet they want to cut something I was privie to as a teen.

they need to be better stewards of our tax dollars and that includes cutting back on the palaces and build them in a practical manner.

We can pay for our own driving education, and they can quit with the wasting of all the tax money.

I too say if ya want a license, then ya should be willing to pay to learn how to drive.

But on the other hand... the school district where I live has built several new schools in the last couple of years, and I kid you not... they could pass for Roman palaces!

Holy crap.... these things have to cost millions and millions to build, but yet they want to cut something I was privie to as a teen.

they need to be better stewards of our tax dollars and that includes cutting back on the palaces and build them in a practical manner.

We can pay for our own driving education, and they can quit with the wasting of all the tax money.

This is exactly my point. :clap2: I'd rep you, but I have to spread it around.

It's not that I don't believe in personal responsibility. But, I think the schools are grossly irresponsible with tax money with frivolous programs, yet have cut out something that was a traditional part of the curriculum for over 50 years.

This is exactly my point. :clap2: I'd rep you, but I have to spread it around.

It's not that I don't believe in personal responsibility. But, I think the schools are grossly irresponsible with tax money with frivolous programs, yet have cut out something that was a traditional part of the curriculum for over 50 years.

I cant understand how folks cant see it... or maybe they just dont care.
:confused:

You don't need a professional course to learn how to drive. It's a luxury. My kids' school only charges $150, but if they didn't have it, we would have taught them.

At the school where I work, we only have one teacher certified for behind the wheel. He is retiring this year. I have a feeling that if no one else goes for certification, our program will be scrapped too. It's a shame, but like the others posted, school's can't provide everything - esp. in these times.

I agree, the money schools spend in my opinion could be used more wisely. Funds in my opinion should be spent on things that all students have access to. My pet peeve is football. That is a very expensive to keep in schools and it is not open to every student. I would be happy to see football cut and drivers ed stay.

You don't need a professional course to learn how to drive. It's a luxury. My kids' school only charges $150, but if they didn't have it, we would have taught them.

At the school where I work, we only have one teacher certified for behind the wheel. He is retiring this year. I have a feeling that if no one else goes for certification, our program will be scrapped too. It's a shame, but like the others posted, school's can't provide everything - esp. in these times.

In WA state you are required to have drivers ed if you desire a license before age 18.

I agree, the money schools spend in my opinion could be used more wisely. Funds in my opinion should be spent on things that all students have access to. My pet peeve is football. That is a very expensive to keep in schools and it is not open to every student. I would be happy to see football cut and drivers ed stay.

I agree. In my opinion our whole sports program should be downsized and simplified. Because we are a small rural school, our students travel up to 150 miles to play against similar sized schools. They start this ridiculous and costly program in 7th grade. It's costly both for the district, and then in times of budget cuts such as this year, instead of downsizing the program, they greatly up the fees to parents. This prices the poor families out of the picture.

Heck, I have a comfortable income, yet $420 sounds very steep to me. I'm thinking of a compromise with her if she wants her license before 18. She's going to have to stop spending her money on clothes and cough up half of this fee.

She keeps her money in her lungs?

In WA state you are required to have drivers ed if you desire a license before age 18.

So what? Is the world gonna end if a kid waits till 18 to drive? No.

Forum List

Back