Labors in the vineyard

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Christ presented the following parable:

1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen. (Matthew 20:1-16)

Discussion: What does it mean?

500,000 intentional homicides per year on this planet.
Thou shalt not kill. Simple and to the point.

16 parables... hyperbolic, parabolic, and obtuse. Written in prose that is incomprehensible to modern man.

1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen. (Matthew 20:1-16)
Jesus is saying that even if you accept Him, at the 11th hour, you too will be accepted in to His Kingdom of Heaven.

So, those that strive to follow God's will their whole lives, and those that come in at the last hour will be equally accepted....in his house, in the kingdom of Heaven.

edit
And those that spent their whole lives accepting Him, should NOT be jealous or think they are more worthy than those at the 11th hour

Last edited:

Jesus is saying that even if you accept Him, at the 11th hour, you too will be accepted in to His Kingdom of Heaven.

So, those that strive to follow God's will their whole lives, and those that come in at the last hour will be equally accepted....in his house, in the kingdom of Heaven.

edit
And those that spent their whole lives accepting Him, should NOT be jealous or think they are more worthy than those at the 11th hour

so party hard till the 11th hour?

I agree with your intrepretation btw.

My warfare is, and has been for years, to get the people to understand that if they do not take care of themselves they will not be taken care of; that if we do not lay the foundation to feed and clothe and shelter ourselves we shall perish with hunger and with cold; we might also suffer in the summer season from the direct rays of the sun upon our naked and unprotected bodies - Brigham Young
You cannot force spiritual things. Such words as compel, coerce, constrain, pressure, demand, do not describe our privileges with the Spirit. You can no more force the Spirit to respond than you can force a bean to sprout, or an egg to hatch before its time. You can create a climate to foster growth, nourish, and protect; but you cannot force or compel: you must await the growth. - Boyd K Packer

Isn't that nice? I see plenty of homeless people begging near my home, those same people I also see year in and year out begging beneath a sign prohibiting ...begging? I am not against charity...I am against lazy manipulative people. I feel many of these folks can work harder than they do because either they are lazy and dishonest, or they aren't trying hard ENOUGH to get a job. I see plenty of illegal aliens getting jobs and driving right past these “poor souls”, Some pregnant woman or some ratty haired fella with a little dog holding a crude “will work for food, anything helps” sign . Whilst a multitude of Chevy Astro vans loaded with Mexican illegal aliens drive by.They have little sympathy for poor Americans, sure enough. Funny, neither am I right now. I don't care what Brigham Young or anyone else says, lazy manipulative people don't deserve any sympathy or support, they need to grow up and get a life. Period.

Last edited:
It's another way of saying, as Jesus did in another context, that God makes the sun to shine on the evil and the good, and the rain to fall on the just and the unjust; that God, the still point at the core of our being, gives, he does not reward; that like the prodigal son in the other parable, we do not receive what we deserve but immeasurably, without regard to merit or earning.

Forum List

Back