Labor Unions...Good or Bad?

Are labor unions good or bad for capitalism and economic growth?

• Good

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
Unions have created a lazy worker who doesn't have pride in their work. When a worker comes in and can do the least they can and get the same pay as the most diligent worker, there is no incentive for anyone to excel at their job. They usually cannot be fired and look for the easy way out.

If we have contract workers who are only rewarded contracts when they excel at their job and prove to be dependable worketrs, the company as whole is rewarded with higher pay and loyal workers.

I love how you guys think a union worker can never be fired. Ever.

Unions tend to get rid of deadbeats before the company ever knows what happened.

so you're speaking of private sector unions? and that hasn't been my experience in either public or private, public being infinitely worse.

perhaps the problem here is the people doing the negotiating for the government.....

No it's the fact that government will only give jobs to union labor.
thats not true.....we have private companies doing things around here all the time from plumbing to Electrical to maintaining the AC units....

those co's don't pay prevailing union wage or comport to fed. labor practices? are they contract or one timers?

Explain in 300 words or less, please.

300 words or less? :lol:

No, labor unions extort money from businesses and individuals.

That was 13- 1/2...

ahhh...so you do not see it as unethical for an employee to call in sick and get paid for the day even though said employee is not sick, but instead wanted to take an extra day off.

Speaks volumes about you.

and you have never done this?.....

This shit only happens because Unions get a certain Number of Paid Sick Days Built into their Contracts, and you better believe they are going to use every single one of them, Sick or not.

You don't want it to happen, You don't have to not pay people when their sick, Just don't give them a Predetermined Number of Paid Sick days to use every year, that expire if they don't use them, then Act surprised when they Use every last one of them Each Year.

Using every last one of them is the economically rational thing to do. You leave 3 days on the table, you've worked three days more than you needed to in order to take home exactly what you've taken home in wages. That's a lower return on your time. Again I have to wonder why some would freely afford this sort of economic rationality to businesses, but not to laborers.

/sigh

Again, false.

Maybe you guys should educate yourself on unions before, you know, talking about unions.

I'd say that way more accurate than not.

Really? You think that if a union worker goes above and beyond he won't get a higher raise?

I worked for a union for a long time, the slackers do get paid the same "scale" as the buttbuster.....but we did get paid more after a given time period....just like the slacker. :eusa_whistle:

there are lazy non-union workers too.....and there are Union workers who work their fucking asses off.....

So far..i have as yet to meet one of them. The working their ass off union member that is.

if you say so.....we have guys that carry their routes plus 2 hours of someone elses route and are on the street for 10 hours.....and if you dont think they are not working their ass off at Christmas time or Election time and when its storming outside and dark....give it a try.....you might find you dont have an ass when you get done....

Assume you are talking about postal workers. What you are actually saying is they only work hard one time a year.... they also don't "carry" their routes... they drive their routes.

Really? You think that if a union worker goes above and beyond he won't get a higher raise?

I worked for a union for a long time, the slackers do get paid the same "scale" as the buttbuster.....but we did get paid more after a given time period....just like the slacker. :eusa_whistle:

I was a member of the sheet metal workers union and the lazy got paid as much as those who broke their asses off...

Shit, I was told several times to "slow it down" because I was making the other guys look bad and they didn't want their "quota upped."

They were a bunch of lazy fucks, and half couldn't even speak English....

I was "making them look bad" because I was working hard? WTF...

At one time Unions served a useful purpose, however, at this point they have outlived their usefulness.

Everyone who is not part of a "group" they are referring to uses this logic. According to what? The department of what you think? :cuckoo:

What you think is useful means diddly.

Then you worked for a terrible company and should have found a better job.

So far..i have as yet to meet one of them. The working their ass off union member that is.

if you say so.....we have guys that carry their routes plus 2 hours of someone elses route and are on the street for 10 hours.....and if you dont think they are not working their ass off at Christmas time or Election time and when its storming outside and dark....give it a try.....you might find you dont have an ass when you get done....

Assume you are talking about postal workers. What you are actually saying is they only work hard one time a year.... they also don't "carry" their routes... they drive their routes.
Actually, postal carriers do work hard, harder now than when I worked there. Some routes in new areas is a driveout, but a lot of the older residential areas are a park and loop, where a carrier has to walk it. The job will eventually wear out a body especially now that more time is spent lugging the mail around. I had surgery because of the job...not fun, the human body was never meant to double as a mule.

I think it goes something like this. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. When a Union is created it's for a reason that is needed... Over time it's a money machine with so much power they actually destroy business.

Public sector Unions should never exists, even FDR knew that and he was about as evil and hatful as it gets when it comes to freedom.

Why?.....do public sector workers get treated better than Private sector.....as far as being treated on the job?....not talking wages....

seriously? take a look around harry....

i have....why do you think i am so against Postal Management.....now you tell me.....do they get treated better?.....or can they be just as fucked?...

Labor unions have done a lot of good but their more recent history has shown them to be as greedy and corrupt as the corporations they fight against.

Dude they're just lazy....

Our quota was like 180 pieces when I was debossing and forming steel - if we worked the whole time we could have done 220.

We spent the last couple of hours fucking around on our 3pm-1am shift.... Dudes would go to the "bathroom" and read news papers while their partners would go off and talk to other employees.....

The production was like 60% of what if could be if workers actually worked full-time, instead of playing games and wondering off for 45 minutes at a time.

No it's the fact that government will only give jobs to union labor.
thats not true.....we have private companies doing things around here all the time from plumbing to Electrical to maintaining the AC units....

those co's don't pay prevailing union wage or comport to fed. labor practices? are they contract or one timers?

Service Champions AC co is not Union,and i dont know what they pay their guys......the plumbers who come here are the local plumbing Co.....there is a private CO who comes once a month to wash our vehicles......some guy with his own truck and a helper....they had a Gardner come and cut the lawn out front.....the first two Companies come when needed.....

I think there was a time and place for unions. I think those times have passed. Also I think all unions should be abolished in the public sector. When our tax dollars are paying you , YOU SHOULD not allowed to strike period. Teachers should be judged on their merit and not how many years they have been teachers because that makes them lazy when they know they cant be fired

In other words ...

we tax payers should be able to fuck over public sector workers.

I suppose you prefer being fucked over by those same public sector workers? You tops, or bottoms?

I think there was a time and place for unions. I think those times have passed. Also I think all unions should be abolished in the public sector. When our tax dollars are paying you , YOU SHOULD not allowed to strike period. Teachers should be judged on their merit and not how many years they have been teachers because that makes them lazy when they know they cant be fired

In other words ...

we tax payers should be able to fuck over public sector workers.

I suppose you prefer being fucked over by those same public sector workers? You tops, or bottoms?

And how are public sector workers fucking over tax payers?

Explain in 300 words or less, please.

Labour unions are bad for capitalism and economic growth because they force companies to view their workers as people. Companies would be so much more profitable if they could work a 14-year old to death. Unions prevent that.

Thankfully, that won't be a problem for much longer. Remember when Mittens said he couldn't keep the illegals doing his yard because he was running for King of America. That's why he's in favor of ending any and all protection for us serfs.

Noot was onto a good idea when he said fire the parents and hire their kids at slave wages to clean the toilets.

And, remember that pubs/bags want to end minimum wage which would cause the total collapse of our entire wage structure. If they get their way, all workers will get a little note telling them that in order to "save" their job, they will have to take a pay cut. And then another and another.

You can bet the good little rw sheeples will just keep nodding their heads up and down.

Labor unions have done a lot of good but their more recent history has shown them to be as greedy and corrupt as the corporations they fight against.

Dude they're just lazy....

Our quota was like 180 pieces when I was debossing and forming steel - if we worked the whole time we could have done 220.

We spent the last couple of hours fucking around on our 3pm-1am shift.... Dudes would go to the "bathroom" and read news papers while their partners would go off and talk to other employees.....

The production was like 60% of what if could be if workers actually worked full-time, instead of playing games and wondering off for 45 minutes at a time.

That is the more recent and true history But let's be fair the unions also played major parts in workers getting better pay, health benefits, safer working conditions. So they have done good over the years but sadly over the years they morphed into what you described.

Forum List

Back