Labor Leaders must pay for parade if R's are banned

Sure...just as soon as the people that put on the St Patrick's Day parade reimburse Boston for the years that parade has been going on.
You do know, don't you, that Boston is not Milwaukee?

Your butthurt is noted and dismissed.

Are you unaware of the 1995 Supreme Court Ruling that says that parade organizers can prohibit anyone they want from marching?

The mayor has a most interesting take on the banning of Republicans from the Labor Day Parade. Taxpayers money is used to pay for the event. I assume that R's pay taxes as well as D's.

I love his line "it's a parade for God's sake".:clap2:

Labor leaders must pay for parade if GOP banned, mayor says

MILWAUKEE | Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:04pm EDT

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - The mayor of a Wisconsin town said on Tuesday a local labor council would have to reimburse the city up to $2,000 for a Labor Day parade if organizers exclude Republican lawmakers from attending.

The move in Wausau, Wisconsin, came after a county labor official said last week that Republican politicians were not welcome at the event due to their party's stance against collective bargaining when state lawmakers voted to curtail it earlier this year.

Wausau Mayor Jim Tipple told Reuters on Tuesday that the decision to exclude elected Republicans "flies in the face of public policy."

"This is not a political rally, it's a parade, for God's sake," Tipple said, noting that taxpayer money is used by the city to pay for staging the event. Tipple's office is nonpartisan, and he claims no affiliation with either political party.

The rest of the article is at the link.

Labor leaders must pay for parade if GOP banned, mayor says | Reuters

This makes sense. Privately paid for parades can ban participates...Publicly paid for cannot.

Would it be too much to ask that you stop being an idiot? Or if that's too much trouble, at least stop identifying yourself as a conservative?
Yup! You guys have got to cut morons like him from your herd. It makes it way too easy to slam Conservatism when attitudes like his are on full display.
The First Amendment says he can say what he wants and associate with whom he wants.
Remember, libs could care less what the constitution says.

Sure...just as soon as the people that put on the St Patrick's Day parade reimburse Boston for the years that parade has been going on.

Are you unaware of the 1995 Supreme Court Ruling that says that parade organizers can prohibit anyone they want from marching?

Are you unaware that a PUBLICLY Funded parade can have the public part pulled if they ban certain people?

The unions caved...

Wisconsin Unions Reverse Decision To Bar Republicans From Labor Day Parade | FoxNews.com

The Marathon County Labor Council, a coalition of unions which sponsors the parade in Wassau, Wis., had excluded Republican politicians from participating in a Labor Day parade in retaliation for legislation earlier this year that weakened the collective bargaining power of public employee unions.

But the group reversed the decision late Tuesday after Wausau Mayor Jim Tipple threatened to withhold financial support for the parade if everyone could not participate.

Would it be too much to ask that you stop being an idiot? Or if that's too much trouble, at least stop identifying yourself as a conservative?
Yup! You guys have got to cut morons like him from your herd. It makes it way too easy to slam Conservatism when attitudes like his are on full display.
The First Amendment says he can say what he wants and associate with whom he wants.
The first amendment prevent the state from shutting him up. common sense says Conservatives on this board should assess whether or not he is speaking as a Conservative or an asshole. And as the modern Conservatives seem fond of using guilt by association, perhaps my brothers and sisters who have a Liberal bent might do the same.

Not if it's on the public dime, they can't.

And the union folded. Looks like the almighty dollar is more important than principle to the union. :lol:

The first amendment prevent the state from shutting him up. common sense says Conservatives on this board should assess whether or not he is speaking as a Conservative or an asshole. And as the modern Conservatives seem fond of using guilt by association, perhaps my brothers and sisters who have a Liberal bent might do the same.
"Might"? Are you kidding? They do it all the time! :lol:

No one speaks for me but me. People who value individualism understand that. People who put emphasis on the collective do not.

The mayor has a most interesting take on the banning of Republicans from the Labor Day Parade. Taxpayers money is used to pay for the event. I assume that R's pay taxes as well as D's.

I love his line "it's a parade for God's sake".:clap2:

Labor leaders must pay for parade if GOP banned, mayor says

MILWAUKEE | Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:04pm EDT

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - The mayor of a Wisconsin town said on Tuesday a local labor council would have to reimburse the city up to $2,000 for a Labor Day parade if organizers exclude Republican lawmakers from attending.

The move in Wausau, Wisconsin, came after a county labor official said last week that Republican politicians were not welcome at the event due to their party's stance against collective bargaining when state lawmakers voted to curtail it earlier this year.

Wausau Mayor Jim Tipple told Reuters on Tuesday that the decision to exclude elected Republicans "flies in the face of public policy."

"This is not a political rally, it's a parade, for God's sake," Tipple said, noting that taxpayer money is used by the city to pay for staging the event. Tipple's office is nonpartisan, and he claims no affiliation with either political party.

The rest of the article is at the link.

Labor leaders must pay for parade if GOP banned, mayor says | Reuters

sounds fair to me...labor, under those circumstance, should fund it.

What kind of signs are Republicans going to carry?

"We will bury you"

"Fuck the workers"

"Prosperity through lower wages".

"You thought we ruined the economy during Bush?
JUST WAIT"

"Who needs a jobs plan?"

Forum List

Back