Lab-Grown Meat Is Coming to Your Supermarket. Ready For it?

It sounds so gross. No thanks. Not a big meat eater anyhow.

Why does it sound gross, though? I mean, cutting open a living animal and pulling out the muscles and to eat them doesn't actually sound particularly tempting. :p I don't see any reason lab grown meat couldn't end up being just as tasty as slaughtered meat. :dunno:

Why does it sound gross, though? I mean, cutting open a living animal and pulling out the muscles and to eat them doesn't actually sound particularly tempting. :p I don't see any reason lab grown meat couldn't end up being just as tasty as slaughtered meat. :dunno:

I know. That is one reason I have a hard time eating meat. I am not a vegetarian though.

I didn't read the details of how it's lab grown meat.

Umm the living animal is no longer living. LOL

I thought that was what a certain fast food place was making their burgers out of under the arches for years now

I've been doing fine with out [sic] (mammal ) meat for a long time and do not feel a need to go back. While i was transitioning away from meat, I would occasionally laps [sic] hade [sic] have a hamburger and always was disappointed and felt bad for doing it. I do eat poultry and fish though

Poultry and fish are not meat?

I've always found that rather strange, too, about some “vegetarians”, especially those who try to claim any sort of moral high ground on the basis of their “vegetarianism”. Birds and fish are animals, just as mammals are; and their muscles and organs are meat, just as those of mammals are. Birds and fish are no more or less valid as sources of certain proteins and nutrients that we humans need, that are very difficult to get from plant-based sources, than mammals are.
Thank you very much for pointing out the inconsistency of my nutritional philosophy. I fully acknowledge it and make no claim to being an actual vegetarian. However, I have found that many people do not fall neatly into the categories of carnivore vs. herbivore and any deviation from the meat based norm is a step in the right direction for our planet, our health and sustainability. Yet you, in your propensity for negativity, take this opportunity to imply that I'm some sort of hypocrite while failing to refute the fact that my lifestyle has value. That is an appeal to hypocrisy logical fallacy.

Soylent Green is People.

I'll pass.
Great sci-fi film but that is not what this is---I don't think.

How would you know? It is said the humans taste like pork. It's not inconceivable that human meat could be grown in a lab.

No thank you.

I'm not eating lab grown meat. And I'm not going to try the Impossible bleeding vegan burger, either.
I guess that I don't really know and will probably forgo the stuff. But I'm not to worried about lab meat being people.....then again......some old folks have been disappearing. The scoops !! The scoops are coming!

I thought that was what a certain fast food place was making their burgers out of under the arches for years now

I think you're referring to 'pink slime' that is added to meat to make it go farther (I think was the purpose). I don't think fast food companies still do that because of the backlash from it, but who knows.

I stay away as much as possible. Which means I do have drive thru fast food about twice a year and even then it's usually at a locally owned burger stand rather than a national chain.

All nuts.
If we went back to the way it was....meat came from around where you live, and not packed in like sardines in massive-massive feedlots, meat would be 100 times safer than now.

I buy all our meats from a butcher shop that gets all of it's Pork/Beef/Chicken guaranteed within 100 miles of the store. And, provided for all to see, is the list of providers right on their wall.

All nuts.
If we went back to the way it was....meat came from around where you live, and not packed in like sardines in massive-massive feedlots, meat would be 100 times safer than now.

I buy all our meats from a butcher shop that gets all of it's Pork/Beef/Chicken guaranteed within 100 miles of the store. And, provided for all to see, is the list of providers right on their wall.

But is it sustainable given population projections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lab-Grown Meat Is Coming to Your Supermarket. Ranchers Are Fighting Back.

Check this out ! I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it or if I would partake. I have been sworn off of meat for a long time- for many reasons including love and respect for animals, concern for the environment , and personal health.

This new development seems to remove the first two concerns but it may still may clog your arteries -unless it is engineered to be super lean and without cholesterol.

I honestly don't know if I would be tempted considering there are so many great and healthy alternatives to meat. As it is, it's hard for me to get around to all of the tasty and wholesome plant based foods that there are. What do you all think?

Would you eat a hamburger or a chicken nugget made of meat grown in a laboratory?

Joshua Tetrick, co-founder and CEO of JUST, is betting that you will. The San Francisco-based company has been producing and selling non-animal versions of food, like mayonnaise, since 2013, and it's raised more than $310 million in venture capital.

Tetrick and his team have created products like Just Mayo by identifying plant-based alternatives to common animal products, like eggs, using a combination of lab experiments and machine-learning.

For applications like ground beef and "nuggets" I can see this being a thing if they can get the cost low enough, and product "feel" close enough.

But for things like Steaks, Chops and cutlets, it may be too weird to catch on, or even too expensive to be a close enough replicant.

All nuts.

You have any idea how much empty farm land there is??
Big Agri-Business took over farming in the 80-90's... you are certainly old enough to remember the landslide of family farms that went under back then right?
At the same time there is hydroponics. Which is woefully underutilized.

All nuts.

Fukushima plus all the other pollutants the world has been inundated with is taking those 'population predictions' way down as we speak.

All nuts.

Fukushima plus all the other pollutants the world has been inundated with is taking those 'population predictions' way down as we speak.
Documentation please. We are already on the cusp of not being able to feed the population and while there are certainly geo-political impediments- the simple fact is that the earth cannot sustain a meat centered diet by the majority of the population.

I don't want to eat artificial lab meat and thankfully its easy to tell apart from the live animal meat. Somehow though they will find a way to sneak it in our food because they dont give a fuck about what the consumer wants.

Forum List

Back