LA Oil Workers Going On Strike.

rcajun90

Jul 7, 2005
New Orleans, Louisiana
A lot of interesting conversations going on in the local media around South Louisiana. I’m not the only one appalled at the way congress is treating us. Bush was willing to do not only the right thing but also what made economic sense. The right thing is to rebuild any American region hit by a natural or any kind of disaster even if they don’t have natural resources. Why? Because they are Americans and part of this country. It should be as simple as that.

I think a lot of people that have been down here take the generosity and hospitality of the people on the gulf coast as a sign of ignorance. It is not but simply part of the culture and the way we were reared. If you push us into a corner we will fight back. Many people on the radio and in the newspapers have realized that if the federal government will not protect us and they will not allow us to protect ourselves then we have no choice but to fight back.

One plan that I would support is to shut down the oil industry in the state for a few days or a week to get the attention of congress. I’m not sure how much damage it would cause the country to lose thirty percent of its oil supply. I wouldn’t support it beyond getting some members of congresses attention that those “Coonasses” (As someone on this board so eloquently referred to us) and rednecks are serious. I guess the country could dip into the strategic oil reserves… oh wait they are in South Louisiana.

Some callers from a New Orleans radio talk show are actually advocating the destruction of the pipelines, rigs and refineries. This is coming from callers not newspaper columnists or other credible sources. This does show however the level of frustration. I would never support violence or vandalism. Also it would destroy the leverage we have and in the end hurt the state and the country. It’s simply amazing to me that a region of the United States needs leverage to get protection from the federal government.

Many of you have never experienced anything like this. Those of you that fled from Rita in Southeast Texas got a taste of it but our society and civilization are very fragile. I will never forget a near riot that broke out over gas at a station in Baton Rouge four days after Katrina hit. Knifes and guns were pulled in the half mile line and the local police were called out to maintain order. If you push people in a corner even the easy going people from South Louisiana and Mississippi, they will strike back.

Interesting article from the L.A. Times
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...0,2886301.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions
He makes some sense showing how coastal erosion has destroyed the protection New Orleans use to have but he blames Bush for everything. This disaster was manmade but you can hardly point the finger at Bush since it has been coming for the last fifty years. I’m not sure why Bush didn’t support a coastal erosion bill other than the mood in congress is basically screw New Orleans. Perhaps he is picking his battles and he wants the levees done right first. I support him and trust him. It’s those wonderful folks in congress I have a problem with.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!
:smoke:

rcajun90 said:
A lot of interesting conversations going on in the local media around South Louisiana. I’m not the only one appalled at the way congress is treating us. Bush was willing to do not only the right thing but also what made economic sense. The right thing is to rebuild any American region hit by a natural or any kind of disaster even if they don’t have natural resources. Why? Because they are Americans and part of this country. It should be as simple as that.

I think a lot of people that have been down here take the generosity and hospitality of the people on the gulf coast as a sign of ignorance. It is not but simply part of the culture and the way we were reared. If you push us into a corner we will fight back. Many people on the radio and in the newspapers have realized that if the federal government will not protect us and they will not allow us to protect ourselves then we have no choice but to fight back.

One plan that I would support is to shut down the oil industry in the state for a few days or a week to get the attention of congress. I’m not sure how much damage it would cause the country to lose thirty percent of its oil supply. I wouldn’t support it beyond getting some members of congresses attention that those “Coonasses” (As someone on this board so eloquently referred to us) and rednecks are serious. I guess the country could dip into the strategic oil reserves… oh wait they are in South Louisiana.

Some callers from a New Orleans radio talk show are actually advocating the destruction of the pipelines, rigs and refineries. This is coming from callers not newspaper columnists or other credible sources. This does show however the level of frustration. I would never support violence or vandalism. Also it would destroy the leverage we have and in the end hurt the state and the country. It’s simply amazing to me that a region of the United States needs leverage to get protection from the federal government.

Many of you have never experienced anything like this. Those of you that fled from Rita in Southeast Texas got a taste of it but our society and civilization are very fragile. I will never forget a near riot that broke out over gas at a station in Baton Rouge four days after Katrina hit. Knifes and guns were pulled in the half mile line and the local police were called out to maintain order. If you push people in a corner even the easy going people from South Louisiana and Mississippi, they will strike back.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...0,2886301.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions
He makes some sense showing how coastal erosion has destroyed the protection New Orleans use to have but he blames Bush for everything. This disaster was manmade but you can hardly point the finger at Bush since it has been coming for the last fifty years. I’m not sure why Bush didn’t support a coastal erosion bill other than the mood in congress is basically screw New Orleans. Perhaps he is picking his battles and he wants the levees done right first. I support him and trust him. It’s those wonderful folks in congress I have a problem with.

Tell the truth, how much did you send to Illinois in 1987 with our floods? How much when Plainfield was substantially leveled? The feds did the same for us that they are doing for you, actually less. I did send money to the Red Cross for your area, I wonder if you did the same?

Perhaps you did, then you aren't whining.

Some callers from a New Orleans radio talk show are actually advocating the destruction of the pipelines, rigs and refineries. This is coming from callers not newspaper columnists or other credible sources.
And you still wonder why many think yer MORONS!!!?

Yeah, go ahead, blow the damn things up. See how long it takes to get hungry cuz ya don't have a job anymore...geeeezzzzz you folks are FUCKED UP!

Kathianne said:
Tell the truth, how much did you send to Illinois in 1987 with our floods? How much when Plainfield was substantially leveled? The feds did the same for us that they are doing for you, actually less. I did send money to the Red Cross for your area, I wonder if you did the same?

To tell the truth not a dime. I was a freshman in college without parents working my way through it. How was Plainfield leveled? Oh my do you live in a flood zone? I'm now an adult that has a good job and I have sent money via the American Red Cross for countless hurricanes like Hugo and Andrew.

Let me ask you a few questions. How did the "Great Flood of Illinois in 1987" level the area? Did thousands of people die and 100's of thousands of people displaced? People returning home for a look and leave in New Orleans are finding dead realtives in their homes so the true death toll to Katrina has is not yet final. I don't believe you can compare the two events but to be honest I don't know much about the 1987. I will google it and do some research.

If the federal response was as feeble and inadequate as their Katrina response and the two events are remotely comparable then I would expect you to be more supportive. My post was directed at congress and not the countless Americans that have opened up their hearts and wallets. Also countless Americans like Dillioduck actually came down here to help and many are still here helping. Even people that want to screw New Orleans and Mississippi, should stop and think about the governments response to Katrina. What if a dirty bomb went off in Chicago? How would FEMA respond? MRE’s and bags of ice? Assuming you call Chicago home, how would feel if with money and hard work Chicago could be repopulated but congressmen from other regions simply say the whole place should be bulldozed. By the way consider my post a warning not whining. The whining will start when people get their energy bills.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
:banana:

Mr. P said:
And you still wonder why many think yer MORONS!!!?

Yeah, go ahead, blow the damn things up. See how long it takes to get hungry cuz ya don't have a job anymore...geeeezzzzz you folks are FUCKED UP!

What is yer? I never heard of that word. I guess I’m just one of those dumb coonasses. Did you bother to read all of my post? I don’t support sabotage. Those of you that only get your information from TV or the newspaper do not realize how many people are on the edge right now. I doubt if many of you can even comprehend what some people are going through. I’m not one of them. I was truly blessed. BTW Mr. P I said a prayer for you this past Sunday.

:thanks:

Kathianne said:

This was all I could find on the 1987 flood. It hardly sounds like the same league
as Katrina, Rita, Andrew or Hugo. However I bet it was for those that were victims. I wasn't a victim of Rita or Katrina. My house and my jobs are intact. No one I know lost their lives nor are they currently living in a tent or FEMA trailer. FEMA trailers are in short supply and as I type this some people are living in tents. It is a cold night by Louisiana and Mississippi standards. I hope those tents have heaters. I believe I will call the Red Cross and see if I can donate new heaters or money towards them for those poor people.

Also it sounds like the federal and local governments are correcting the Chicago area flooding problems. If this isn't correct please let me know.

"Flooding of rivers in the Chicago area is a natural phenomenon. Agricultural areas flood along with natural wetlands. The magnitude of these floods and the effects upon humans grew as the metropolitan area developed. Flood events of historical significance have occurred across the region during 1849, 1855, 1885, 1938, 1952, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1973, 1979, 1986, 1987, and 1996. Most record-setting flood stages and discharges in the region have been recorded since 1948.

Flood control and watershed planning in the Chicago region is managed by a group of federal, state, and local agencies. These include the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resource Conservation Service, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, the Illinois Office of Water Resources, the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, and storm water management agencies in each of the region's counties.

By the early 1980s several watershed plans were developed to address flood problems along the North Branch Chicago River, Upper Des Plaines River, Lower Des Plaines Tributaries, Poplar Creek, Upper Salt Creek, and the Little Calumet River. These plans will eventually implement 43.9 miles of channel modifications and 41,128 acre-feet (13.4 billion gallons) of floodwater storage facilities, including the Tunnel and Reservoir Plan. Flooding remains a serious problem along the main channel of the Des Plaines River and the Little Calumet River and many smaller streams. A 1998 estimate puts annual flood damages at $41,459,000 in the Chicago area, affecting nearly 20,000 homes and businesses.

Local, state, and federal agencies and individuals have become increasingly aware of the unmitigated impacts of urbanization on drainage and flooding. The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District implemented the first stormwater detention ordinance in 1972. This ordinance required new developments to detain a portion of the increased runoff and to restrict the outlet capacity of the detention basin to a predevelopment discharge. It has now become standard practice to provide stormwater detention within new subdivisions to control the rate of runoff to predevelopment rates.

The 1986 flood was triggered by widespread regional rainfall with varying intensity and duration, which had been preceded by two weeks of nearly continuous rain falling across northern regions of the Des Plaines, North Branch Chicago, and Fox River watersheds. Flooding in rivers and streams across Lake, McHenry, northern Cook, northern DuPage, and northern Kane Counties resulted. The 1987 flood was generated by localized high-intensity and shorter duration rainfall which dropped up to 13 inches of rainfall in less than 24 hours, largely in Cook and DuPage counties. The 1986 and 1987 floods generated enough public awareness of the continued problems of drainage and flooding for the Illinois General Assembly to pass legislation authorizing the formation of countywide stormwater management programs."

:mm:

rcajun90 said:
What is yer? I never heard of that word. I guess I’m just one of those dumb coonasses. Did you bother to read all of my post? ...

:thanks:
Yeah, I read another of yer whinny posts. I had nothing better to do at the time. :funnyface

Mr. P said:
Yeah, I read another of yer whinny posts. I had nothing better to do at the time. :funnyface

Your command of the language is very impressive. I never heard of fancy words like yer and cuz. I guess we really have a long way to go with education in Louisiana.

:dance:

rcajun90 said:
Your command of the language is very impressive. I never heard of fancy words like yer and cuz. I guess we really have a long way to go with education in Louisiana.

:dance:
Yes, I guess you do have a long way to go. I'll never hold it against ya though. Start by getting out more into the "real" world, the La outback ain't what ya think it is. ;)

rcajun90 said:
This was all I could find on the 1987 flood. It hardly sounds like the same league
as Katrina, Rita, Andrew or Hugo. However I bet it was for those that were victims. I wasn't a victim of Rita or Katrina. My house and my jobs are intact. No one I know lost their lives nor are they currently living in a tent or FEMA trailer. FEMA trailers are in short supply and as I type this some people are living in tents. It is a cold night by Louisiana and Mississippi standards. I hope those tents have heaters. I believe I will call the Red Cross and see if I can donate new heaters or money towards them for those poor people.

Also it sounds like the federal and local governments are correcting the Chicago area flooding problems. If this isn't correct please let me know.

"Flooding of rivers in the Chicago area is a natural phenomenon. Agricultural areas flood along with natural wetlands. The magnitude of these floods and the effects upon humans grew as the metropolitan area developed. Flood events of historical significance have occurred across the region during 1849, 1855, 1885, 1938, 1952, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1973, 1979, 1986, 1987, and 1996. Most record-setting flood stages and discharges in the region have been recorded since 1948.

Flood control and watershed planning in the Chicago region is managed by a group of federal, state, and local agencies. These include the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resource Conservation Service, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, the Illinois Office of Water Resources, the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, and storm water management agencies in each of the region's counties.

By the early 1980s several watershed plans were developed to address flood problems along the North Branch Chicago River, Upper Des Plaines River, Lower Des Plaines Tributaries, Poplar Creek, Upper Salt Creek, and the Little Calumet River. These plans will eventually implement 43.9 miles of channel modifications and 41,128 acre-feet (13.4 billion gallons) of floodwater storage facilities, including the Tunnel and Reservoir Plan. Flooding remains a serious problem along the main channel of the Des Plaines River and the Little Calumet River and many smaller streams. A 1998 estimate puts annual flood damages at $41,459,000 in the Chicago area, affecting nearly 20,000 homes and businesses.

Local, state, and federal agencies and individuals have become increasingly aware of the unmitigated impacts of urbanization on drainage and flooding. The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District implemented the first stormwater detention ordinance in 1972. This ordinance required new developments to detain a portion of the increased runoff and to restrict the outlet capacity of the detention basin to a predevelopment discharge. It has now become standard practice to provide stormwater detention within new subdivisions to control the rate of runoff to predevelopment rates.

The 1986 flood was triggered by widespread regional rainfall with varying intensity and duration, which had been preceded by two weeks of nearly continuous rain falling across northern regions of the Des Plaines, North Branch Chicago, and Fox River watersheds. Flooding in rivers and streams across Lake, McHenry, northern Cook, northern DuPage, and northern Kane Counties resulted. The 1987 flood was generated by localized high-intensity and shorter duration rainfall which dropped up to 13 inches of rainfall in less than 24 hours, largely in Cook and DuPage counties. The 1986 and 1987 floods generated enough public awareness of the continued problems of drainage and flooding for the Illinois General Assembly to pass legislation authorizing the formation of countywide stormwater management programs."

:mm:

Well about 5k people were made homeless in 1987 out of a pop C40k in my li'l town in Dupage County. That's about 8% if my math serves me right. Now, about 75% of those had the comprehensive homeowner's and flood insurance, which eventually helped out. In the meantime, the National Guard and Salvation Army and Red Cross helped those that didn't.

Neighbors, much like Baton Rouge did for y'all, stepped up, with housing, food, and toys for kids.

Plainfield was something else. Not as wealthy and much more devastation. I think it was a type 5 tornado. Unlike NO or even Dupage, while more sparsely populated, much more death and even destruction, given what was there. Much of it was razed by the tornado, including a high school and parochial school, during school hours. Didn't make the news? NO sure as hell did, for days BEFORE it hit.

rcajun90 said:

It's gotta suck to be going through the grief process around Christmas but you are and will be for sometime. All I can offer is a suggestion that you recognize it as such and try not to let the anger phase of it get out of control. IMHO this is a good place for you to vent but ignore people who think they know better. Putting ignorance in "proper" syntax, grammer and style doesn't make it wisdom.I know who I want to have my back when I get down and it's not those who are eager to mock those who suffer.

Merry Christmas !!

Take a moment out of each day and be grateful for something.

dilloduck said:
It's gotta suck to be going through the grief process around Christmas but you are and will be for sometime. All I can offer is a suggestion that you recognize it as such and try not to let the anger phase of it get out of control. IMHO this is a good place for you to vent but ignore people who think they know better. Putting ignorance in "proper" syntax, grammer and style doesn't make it wisdom.I know who I want to have my back when I get down and it's not those who are eager to mock those who suffer.

Merry Christmas !!

Take a moment out of each day and be grateful for something.
Touching... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mr. P said:
Touching... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah. I do feel for the people in the Gulf, IF I could help all areas, other than NO, I would. Sorry, but just feel the whole entitlement deal on top of poor local government and excuses has me worn out.

Kathianne said:
Yeah. I do feel for the people in the Gulf, IF I could help all areas, other than NO, I would. Sorry, but just feel the whole entitlement deal on top of poor local government and excuses has me worn out.

Imagine how tired you would be if you lived there every day. I was shocked how bad it was even though I wasn't even there until Nov. Compassion is an art that some people haven't learned yet.

dilloduck said:
Imagine how tired you would be if you lived there every day. I was shocked how bad it was even though I wasn't even there until Nov. Compassion is an art that some people haven't learned yet.

As I said to rajcajun or whatever, I've been through floods, no way on that scale. But the people involved wanted nothing more than to get their lives back in order, however that could be done. They certainly weren't looking for the government to do it.

In the case of NO it seems that they want that and more and if do not wish to go along with it, they are threatening to secede! :laugh: they are a joke.

Kathianne said:
As I said to rajcajun or whatever, I've been through floods, no way on that scale. But the people involved wanted nothing more than to get their lives back in order, however that could be done. They certainly weren't looking for the government to do it.

In the case of NO it seems that they want that and more and if do not wish to go along with it, they are threatening to secede! :laugh: they are a joke.

What you know of the people of Lousianna is coming though your favorite mouthpiece--the MSM. You have no idea what so ever what the common man feels there. They are still recovering from hell!!! Even THEY aren't sure what the right thing to do is. Your lack of compassion for the people there is disgraceful.

Kathianne said:
Well about 5k people were made homeless in 1987 out of a pop C40k in my li'l town in Dupage County. That's about 8% if my math serves me right. Now, about 75% of those had the comprehensive homeowner's and flood insurance, which eventually helped out. In the meantime, the National Guard and Salvation Army and Red Cross helped those that didn't.

That's a lot of people when compared to the population. From what I read it sounds like the local, state and federal governments are stepping in to make sure it never happens again or at least make it very unlikely it will happen again soon. That's all I along with everyone I talk to wants. We don't need any individual aid except places to live. Jobs are for now are plentiful at least on the lower end of the economy. McDonald's, Wendy's etc... are all offering a signing bonus the problem is there are no places to live. There's a waiting list for FEMA trailers.

Neighbors, much like Baton Rouge did for y'all, stepped up, with housing, food, and toys for kids.

It's not just neighbors but what I want to believe is most of America that has and is stepping up with food and toys for the kids.

Plainfield was something else. Not as wealthy and much more devastation. I think it was a type 5 tornado. Unlike NO or even Dupage, while more sparsely populated, much more death and even destruction, given what was there. Much of it was razed by the tornado, including a high school and parochial school, during school hours. Didn't make the news? NO sure as hell did, for days BEFORE it hit.

To be honest I never heard of Plainfield as I would imagine many of you had never heard of St. Bernard, Ocean Springs, Pass Christian, Metairie or Arabi. New Orleans is getting press because a major American metro area has never been wiped off the face of the Earth. People in Lake Charles and Biloxi are feeling ignored because of New Orleans but it is simply a difference in population. New Orleans still has buildings standing just ruined. Biloxi has a lot of foundations without buildings on them. There's not much debris there's simply nothing left around the coast. Lake Charles had damage but nothing like Biloxi or the New Orleans area. BTW Lake Charles and Biloxi are above sea level. Lake Charles is a good 40 minutes from the coast.

Lake Charles
http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/120605/opi_inside001.shtml

dilloduck said:
What you know of the people of Lousianna is coming though your favorite mouthpiece--the MSM. You have no idea what so ever what the common man feels there. They are still recovering from hell!!! Even THEY aren't sure what the right thing to do is. Your lack of compassion for the people there is disgraceful.
Nope my compassion was used up when our LA poster kept coming on and bashing us for not doing more. I did what I could, that wasn't enough. How much did you give to IL flood victims in '87 Dillo? How about Plainfield? You were not college aged then! Bleeding heart...Conveinent now that you have time and money.

Kathianne said:
Nope my compassion was used up when our LA poster kept coming on and bashing us for not doing more. I did what I could, that wasn't enough. How much did you give to IL flood victims in '87 Dillo? How about Plainfield? You were not college aged then! Bleeding heart...Conveinent now that you have time and money.

I realize that you are unable to fathom the state of mind that RC has been in since 2 hurricanes ripped his state apart and you have never had a history of being overly compassionate to me here for that matter but to accuse me of being a bleeding heart for helping is simply an ignorant and desperate attempt to discredit me. Return to go and find your heart, moderator.

Kathianne said:
And there ya go K..
One of our local radio guys was down there (NO) on what he called a vacation a few weeks ago. He described it as “just as bad after 3 months as it was after three weeks”.
Trash everywhere, houses still boarded etc..

He took a drive and said, “only one house for miles and miles was being lived in”. He said he spoke with the owners, a couple with modest means who had on their own, restored their home to a better state than it was in before Katrina, and ask why they were there and no one else was. The reply was, “well ya just gotta come back and do it”. That is pretty much why I have no time for the whiners that think SOMEONE ELSE should come in and DO IT.

Forum List

Back