L.A. Mayor can go suck a hot tamale

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Villaraigosa warns ICE to back off immigration raids
Daily News Wire Services
Article Launched: 04/10/2008 07:10:57 AM PDT

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is asking federal officials to rethink their policy on workplace immigration crackdowns that involve established businesses and to focus on employers that mistreat workers instead.

The mayor said in a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff that work-site raids by Immigration and Customs Enforcement could have "severe and long-lasting effects" on the local economy, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

ICE made more than 4,900 work-site arrests nationwide in fiscal 2007, a 45-fold increase over the number in 2001, authorities said.

More than 130 undocumented workers were arrested at a San Fernando Valley manufacturing company in February and over 60 workers were arrested for immigration violations at South Bay-area warehouses last week.

Los Angeles companies such as clothing manufacturer American Apparel Inc. have reported being questioned by ICE officials about their hiring procedures.

Villaraigosa accused federal officials of targeting "established, responsible employers" in industries that rely on "workforces that include undocumented immigrants."

"In these industries, including most areas of manufacturing, even the most scrupulous and responsible employers have no choice but to rely on workers whose documentation, while facially valid, may raise questions about their lawful presence," he wrote in the March 27 letter.

He said ICE should spend its limited resources

targeting employers who exploit wage and hour laws.

Chertoff has not responded to the mayor's letter, but Homeland Security spokeswoman Laura Keehner said the department believes its priorities are correct.

She said work-site investigations focus on national security and public safety and that the agency also investigates companies it believes may have committed visa fraud, money laundering, and other violations.

Mayoral spokesman Matt Szabo said Villaraigosa and Los Angeles business leaders hope to discuss their concerns with Chertoff in person next week during an annual business trip to Washington.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_8875246

Villaraigosa warns ICE to back off immigration raids
Daily News Wire Services
Article Launched: 04/10/2008 07:10:57 AM PDT

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is asking federal officials to rethink their policy on workplace immigration crackdowns that involve established businesses and to focus on employers that mistreat workers instead.

The mayor said in a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff that work-site raids by Immigration and Customs Enforcement could have "severe and long-lasting effects" on the local economy, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

ICE made more than 4,900 work-site arrests nationwide in fiscal 2007, a 45-fold increase over the number in 2001, authorities said.

More than 130 undocumented workers were arrested at a San Fernando Valley manufacturing company in February and over 60 workers were arrested for immigration violations at South Bay-area warehouses last week.

Los Angeles companies such as clothing manufacturer American Apparel Inc. have reported being questioned by ICE officials about their hiring procedures.

Villaraigosa accused federal officials of targeting "established, responsible employers" in industries that rely on "workforces that include undocumented immigrants."

"In these industries, including most areas of manufacturing, even the most scrupulous and responsible employers have no choice but to rely on workers whose documentation, while facially valid, may raise questions about their lawful presence," he wrote in the March 27 letter.

He said ICE should spend its limited resources

targeting employers who exploit wage and hour laws.

Chertoff has not responded to the mayor's letter, but Homeland Security spokeswoman Laura Keehner said the department believes its priorities are correct.

She said work-site investigations focus on national security and public safety and that the agency also investigates companies it believes may have committed visa fraud, money laundering, and other violations.

Mayoral spokesman Matt Szabo said Villaraigosa and Los Angeles business leaders hope to discuss their concerns with Chertoff in person next week during an annual business trip to Washington.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_8875246

She can suck more than that.........................but then Aztlan is just around the corner........................and it depends on who swallows what!!!!!!!!:eusa_shifty:

That's rediculous. Lets go after American business owners (granted they shouldn't hire illegeals---then again who can blame them) instead of going after the illegals.

This burns my chaps about as much as seen AMERICAN hispanics at a California school take down an American flag and re-hang it upside down underneath an American flag, shouting "MEXICO! MEXICO!." I'm all for immigrating legally into this country...but damn, if your so proud of Mexico, go back. You don't see me hanging the German, Irish, and English flags all over the place and denouncing are flags.

That was the real eye-opener that Mexico is recolonizing the South. As "prophecied" by Santa Anna.

That's rediculous. Lets go after American business owners (granted they shouldn't hire illegeals---then again who can blame them) instead of going after the illegals.

This burns my chaps about as much as seen AMERICAN hispanics at a California school take down an American flag and re-hang it upside down underneath an American flag, shouting "MEXICO! MEXICO!." I'm all for immigrating legally into this country...but damn, if your so proud of Mexico, go back. You don't see me hanging the German, Irish, and English flags all over the place and denouncing are flags.

That was the real eye-opener that Mexico is recolonizing the South. As "prophecied" by Santa Anna.

Ummmm soooooo you don't believe that Aztlan is about to take place then.............:eusa_shifty:

Ummmm soooooo you don't believe that Aztlan is about to take place then.............:eusa_shifty:

It's definately possible, considering that hispanics (including lots of "illegal" Mexicans) are now the Majority in a few southern states.

I'm not racists against hispanics, I grew up in a town where there was about 50-50 whites to hispanics. Probably more now. But I feel like it's definately happening. We've already started seeing violence on the border that is considered to be just as dangerous as Iraq is at the moment.

Have you been reading "WARDAY?

It's definately possible, considering that hispanics (including lots of "illegal" Mexicans) are now the Majority in a few southern states.

I'm not racists against hispanics, I grew up in a town where there was about 50-50 whites to hispanics. Probably more now. But I feel like it's definately happening. We've already started seeing violence on the border that is considered to be just as dangerous as Iraq is at the moment.

Have you been reading "WARDAY?

No I haven't..............I've been watching this coming for ten years..........:eusa_shifty:

If this is sarcasm, I agree. It isn't the job of employers to enforce our lame immigration policy.

If this is sarcasm, I agree. It isn't the job of employers to enforce our lame immigration policy.

Yeah, it was sarcasm. LOL..almost looked like a real statement though. I'm glad you noticed my sarcastic "tone"

THERE WILL BE NO ILLEGALS VERY SHORTLY.........................another lie by ommision, treaties signed behind our backs................these fucking basTARDS HAVE GOT TO GO....................!!!!!!:eusa_shifty:

If state depts of labor would expedite the I-9 process or, heaven forbid, provide technology to verify work eligability at point of hire then I could see going easy on businesses who find that they have to hire mexicans in order avoid the charge of discrimination. But I posted this thread because I don't agree with the mayor's wanton attitude about harboring illegals for the sake of their economy. The other edge to the sword that is killing the middle class, the first being outsourcing oversees, is how businesses look for any way to minimize payroll cost by hiring mexicans purposefully. I say give businesses a viable vetting process and hold them accountable for breaking the law just like we should be doing with illegals already. Otherwise, atzlan sympathizing mayors from LA can go deepthroat chipotle burrito.

"Lets go after American business owners (granted they shouldn't hire illegeals---then again who can blame them) ."

exactly, i mean businesses are here to make a profit. hello.

i mean granted they should be concerned with safety issues or complying with the FLSA ... but really who could blame a business for doing what's in their best interest i.e. profit.

which reminds me of the ah "the mayor's wanton attitude about harboring illegals for the sake of their economy."

oh wait which was it...

it's ok for a white business to want to hire illegals (they have to for business reasons) but a hispanic mayor wanting to protect the city's economy

:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

did you take your brain pill today, dude? If you want to debate the I9 or the federal hotline to verify SS numbers we can talk about the specific crux putting businesses in jeopardy of either hiring illegals or being accused of discrimination..

And yes, a public official like the mayor of LA needs to realize that upholding the fucking law is not a matter of redirecting la migra so that the first generation can just kinda blend in while the second and third generation takes advantage of the 14th amendment.

"Lets go after American business owners (granted they shouldn't hire illegeals---then again who can blame them) ."

i mean granted they should be concerned with safety issues or complying with the FLSA ... but really who could blame a business for doing what's in their best interest i.e. profit.

which reminds me of the ah "the mayor's wanton attitude about harboring illegals for the sake of their economy."

oh wait which was it...

it's ok for a white business to want to hire illegals (they have to for business reasons) but a hispanic mayor wanting to protect the city's economy

"WHITE BUSINESS"..........................as opposed to what..............:rolleyes:

Doobs,

Newsflash, those pills your mama gives ya every morning…the ah ‘brain pills’…that’s actually her estrogen supplement…

If state depts of labor would expedite the I-9 process or, heaven forbid, provide technology to verify work eligability at point of hire then I could see going easy on businesses who find that they have to hire mexicans in order avoid the charge of discrimination. But I posted this thread because I don't agree with the mayor's wanton attitude about harboring illegals for the sake of their economy. The other edge to the sword that is killing the middle class, the first being outsourcing oversees, is how businesses look for any way to minimize payroll cost by hiring mexicans purposefully. I say give businesses a viable vetting process and hold them accountable for breaking the law just like we should be doing with illegals already. Otherwise, atzlan sympathizing mayors from LA can go deepthroat chipotle burrito.

How much would that cost? And who would pay for it? And what are the jobs the workers are taking that are killing the middle class?

oh wait which was it...

Actually, a Hispanic mayor wanting to target white business owners while allowing criminals to walk.

Rhetoric should at least resemble the truth.

" If you want to debate the I9 or the federal hotline to verify SS numbers we can talk about the specific crux putting businesses in jeopardy of either hiring illegals or being accused of discrimination.."

i'm here for meanless debate come on...

"And yes, a public official like the mayor of LA needs to realize that upholding the fucking law is not a matter of redirecting la migra so that the first generation can just kinda blend in while the second and third generation takes advantage of the 14th amendment."

3rd generation...before allie beats yeah to the truth :badgrin: the 14th kicks in on the second generation silly.

and what the hell? now you are dissing the constitution?

wait till the staunch constitutionalist get wind of this.

" If you want to debate the I9 or the federal hotline to verify SS numbers we can talk about the specific crux putting businesses in jeopardy of either hiring illegals or being accused of discrimination.."

i'm here for meanless debate come on...

"And yes, a public official like the mayor of LA needs to realize that upholding the fucking law is not a matter of redirecting la migra so that the first generation can just kinda blend in while the second and third generation takes advantage of the 14th amendment."

3rd generation...before allie beats yeah to the truth :badgrin: the 14th kicks in on the second generation silly.

and what the hell? now you are dissing the constitution?

wait till the staunch constitutionalist get wind of this.

Why the hell not , we've been doing it the last thirty five years.............:eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back