KY state senate passes optional bible study in public high school

States decide what their schools will teach, it is THEIR business not yours. They will pay for it in THAT State. Again NONE of your business.

Not true to the extent that what they teach has to conform to constitutional mandates...like separation of church and state.

That said, I think there's nothing wrong with teaching how the bible shows up in literature, which these classes appear to be (based on a very limited google search).

It's funny, this issue actually turned up last week because my son told me that in his school teachers aren't allowed to talk about the bible at all. Yet, when I was in high school, we read, The Passion; We read Miss Lonelyhearts; We read a some amazing literature that was filled with biblical imagery and biblical references. How can one be literate and not be taught those things? Or at least to know those things exist.

I think sometimes we go overboard and get goofy about stuff.

You and your Liberal buddies have NO CONSTITUTIONAL Authority to dictate to a State what it will and will not teach. NONE, ZIP. Go ahead darling cite for me the relevant part of the Constitution that grants to the Federal Government the power and authority to run A States education. I won't hold my breath waiting.

thanks for ignoring the vast majority of the post.

it isn't a function of 'liberal' or 'conservative'. You know full well that no state can give fewer constitutional protections than the federal constitution.

Not true to the extent that what they teach has to conform to constitutional mandates...like separation of church and state.

That said, I think there's nothing wrong with teaching how the bible shows up in literature, which these classes appear to be (based on a very limited google search).

It's funny, this issue actually turned up last week because my son told me that in his school teachers aren't allowed to talk about the bible at all. Yet, when I was in high school, we read, The Passion; We read Miss Lonelyhearts; We read a some amazing literature that was filled with biblical imagery and biblical references. How can one be literate and not be taught those things? Or at least to know those things exist.

I think sometimes we go overboard and get goofy about stuff.

You and your Liberal buddies have NO CONSTITUTIONAL Authority to dictate to a State what it will and will not teach. NONE, ZIP. Go ahead darling cite for me the relevant part of the Constitution that grants to the Federal Government the power and authority to run A States education. I won't hold my breath waiting.

it isn't a function of 'liberal' or 'conservative'. You know full well that no state can give fewer constitutional protections than the federal constitution.

And you have yet to provide any documentation that the Federal Government has the AUTHORITY to even run the Department of Education. Go ahead find for me that power listed in the Constitution. It is NOT there, leaving it solely in the hands of the States and LOCAL Government.

And you have yet to provide any documentation that the Federal Government has the AUTHORITY to even run the Department of Education. Go ahead find for me that power listed in the Constitution. It is NOT there, leaving it solely in the hands of the States and LOCAL Government.

you're not listening...

Who didn't learn Greek and Roman mythology in public school?

It was taught because of it's cultural significance.

How is this any different?

A course in comparative religion would be approprate; a course on the bible seems to be an effort to proselyize - and of course that is exactly the intent.

I would agree with you. Except I googled this particular law and it appears that it focuses on the bible in literature.

does it also focus on other religions holy texts as well?

That is the point.

well, if we're talking about a comparative religion class, i'd agree with you that there has to be an overview of religious texts.

however, to be fair, most religious imagery in literature is christian, most commonly jesus imagery. would we talk about the old testament or the koran in the context of Miss Lonelyhearts?

A few everyday phases you may or may not know come directly from the Bible.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
A drop in the bucket
A fly in the ointment
A man after his own heart
A multitude of sins
A thorn in the flesh
All things must pass
All things to all men
Am I my brother's keeper?
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth
As old as Methuselah
As old as the hills
As you sow so shall you reap
Ashes to ashes dust to dust
At his wits end
Baptism of fire
Beat swords into ploughshares
Bite the dust
Blessed are the peacemakers
Born again
By the skin of your teeth
Can a leopard change its spots?
Coat of many colours
Eat drink and be merry
Faith will move mountains
Fall from grace
Fight the good fight
Flesh and blood
For everything there is a season
Forbidden fruit
Forgive them for they know not what they do
From strength to strength
Get thee behind me Satan
Give up the ghost
Good Samaritan
How are the mighty fallen
In the beginning was the word
It's better to give than to receive
Lamb to the slaughter
Let not the sun go down on your wrath
Let there be light
Living off the fat of the land
Love of money is the root of all evil -The
Love thy neighbour as thyself
Man does not live by bread alone
Many are called but few are chosen
My cup runneth over
No rest for the wicked
O ye, of little faith
Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings
Physician heal thyself
Sour grapes
Spare the rod and spoil the child
The apple of his eye
The blind leading the blind
The bread of life
The fly in the ointment
The fruits of your loins
The powers that be
The root of the matter
The salt of the earth
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak
The wages of sin is death
The writing is on the wall
Thou shalt not kill
Three score and ten
To cast the first stone
What God has joined together let no man put asunder
Woe is me

Bible Phrases - a list of everyday phrases that come from the Bible, with their origins and meanings.

States decide what their schools will teach, it is THEIR business not yours. They will pay for it in THAT State. Again NONE of your business.

A course in comparative religion would be approprate; a course on the bible seems to be an effort to proselyize - and of course that is exactly the intent.

I would agree with you. Except I googled this particular law and it appears that it focuses on the bible in literature.

Ya....I looked it up and it said that the bill calls for the Kentucky Board of Education to establish guidelines for an "elective course on the Bible's literary structure and its influence on "literature, art, music, mores, oratory and public policy" and it must follow all federal and state laws in "maintaining religious neutrality and accommodating the diverse religious views of students."

I don't have an issue with it- what's more, you really can't learn history without including the role of religions in the shaping of the modern geo-political landscape. Relgion played a big role - if you excise it totally, it would be inpossible to learn history.

Forum List

Back