KY state senate passes optional bible study in public high school

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Hmm pay tax dollars for bible study in public schools when they can get it for free in church?

Ahh the wisdom of the Republican controlled KY state senate.
This will fix our recession problems.

The only part of the constitution that Republicans respect is the 2nd amendment.

Interesting... the OP calls it into question on the grounds that it's fiscally irreponsible and the first two replies evade the issue and try to defend against an objection that wasn't raised. Why is that?

☭proletarian☭;2044686 said:
Interesting... the OP calls it into question on the grounds that it's fiscally irreponsible and the first two replies evade the issue and try to defend against an objection that wasn't raised. Why is that?

States decide what their schools will teach, it is THEIR business not yours. They will pay for it in THAT State. Again NONE of your business.

Hmm pay tax dollars for bible study in public schools when they can get it for free in church?

Ahh the wisdom of the Republican controlled KY state senate.
This will fix our recession problems.
They are teaching a bible as literature class. I don't have a problem with that. I took one in high school and it didn't turn me into a Jesus freak...quite the opposite. :lol:

States decide what their schools will teach, it is THEIR business not yours. They will pay for it in THAT State. Again NONE of your business.

Not true to the extent that what they teach has to conform to constitutional mandates...like separation of church and state.

That said, I think there's nothing wrong with teaching how the bible shows up in literature, which these classes appear to be (based on a very limited google search).

It's funny, this issue actually turned up last week because my son told me that in his school teachers aren't allowed to talk about the bible at all. Yet, when I was in high school, we read, The Passion; We read Miss Lonelyhearts; We read a some amazing literature that was filled with biblical imagery and biblical references. How can one be literate and not be taught those things? Or at least to know those things exist.

I think sometimes we go overboard and get goofy about stuff.

A course in comparative religion would be approprate; a course on the bible seems to be an effort to proselyize - and of course that is exactly the intent.

A course in comparative religion would be approprate; a course on the bible seems to be an effort to proselyize - and of course that is exactly the intent.

I would agree with you. Except I googled this particular law and it appears that it focuses on the bible in literature.

"Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car." Garrison Keillor

You have to realize something, republicans in power fail miserably, so they need all the divine assistance they can get. This is just an attempt to get help.

My son had this book in a college class.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Major-Religions-Introduction-Texts/dp/140511049X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267188024&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Major Religions: An Introduction with Texts (9781405110495): T. Patrick Burke: Books[/ame]

Short intros are super.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Major-Religions-VSI-Set-Christianity/dp/0195325982/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267188024&sr=1-6]Amazon.com: Major Religions VSI Set: Consisting of Buddhism VSI, Hinduism VSI, Islam VSI, Judaism VSI, and Christianity VSI (9780195325980): Books[/ame]

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried." Gilbert K. Chesterton

Last edited:
Yeah well it is MY state and I do not want my school tax money I pay to go for teaching religion in school.

Yeah well it is MY state and I do not want my school tax money I pay to go for teaching religion in school.

But there's a diference between teaching religion and teaching about religion.
If the class is truly the Bible as literature, then there is a secular purpose, it's not teaching the kids to believe anything, and therefore is fine. Other religions should ideally be taught as well, but the Bible has had a strong influence on music, art, literature, and Wester society in general that it should be taught in schools. It just shouldn't be taught as fact or as any particular interpretation.

They are actually teaching that the bible is a work of fiction. Godless Commie school teachers with their liberal agenda to destroy America can now teach school kids that the Bible is nothing more than fiction.

It's win/win.

:lol:

But there's a diference between teaching religion and teaching about religion.
If the class is truly the Bible as literature, then there is a secular purpose, it's not teaching the kids to believe anything, and therefore is fine. Other religions should ideally be taught as well, but the Bible has had a strong influence on music, art, literature, and Wester society in general that it should be taught in schools. It just shouldn't be taught as fact or as any particular interpretation.

If they also offer the Koran (sp?) and other religious texts as optional courses I will go for it.

I would agree with you. Except I googled this particular law and it appears that it focuses on the bible in literature.

does it also focus on other religions holy texts as well?

That is the point.

That is the point.

Again, I disagree. While there ideally should be classes on other religions as well, if you're only going to teach one holy text it should be the Bible because of its cultural significance. That is NOT establishing a religion nor is it showing preference to one religion based on its teachings. Teaching only the one book because it has had the most significant impact on US culture is in no way contrary to freedom of religion.

That is the point.

Again, I disagree. While there ideally should be classes on other religions as well, if you're only going to teach one holy text it should be the Bible because of its cultural significance. That is NOT establishing a religion nor is it showing preference to one religion based on its teachings. Teaching only the one book because it has had the most significant impact on US culture is in no way contrary to freedom of religion.

the most significiant impact to date. However in the hills of eastern KY where I grew up they now have muslim mosque.
And the mamzing thing is no one has burned it down.

Teaching is not just about the past it is mostly about preparing for the future.
If they teach the bible and religion and show how they have screwed us up in the past so we can perhaps avoid those mistakes in the future...

Last edited:

Not true to the extent that what they teach has to conform to constitutional mandates...like separation of church and state.

That said, I think there's nothing wrong with teaching how the bible shows up in literature, which these classes appear to be (based on a very limited google search).

It's funny, this issue actually turned up last week because my son told me that in his school teachers aren't allowed to talk about the bible at all. Yet, when I was in high school, we read, The Passion; We read Miss Lonelyhearts; We read a some amazing literature that was filled with biblical imagery and biblical references. How can one be literate and not be taught those things? Or at least to know those things exist.

I think sometimes we go overboard and get goofy about stuff.

You and your Liberal buddies have NO CONSTITUTIONAL Authority to dictate to a State what it will and will not teach. NONE, ZIP. Go ahead darling cite for me the relevant part of the Constitution that grants to the Federal Government the power and authority to run A States education. I won't hold my breath waiting.

New Topics

Forum List

Back