Kudos to Rick Scott

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
This is probably the one and only time I will feel any warmth toward our rightwing gov...

Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) is now to the right of Florida Governor Rick Scott (R) on the question of allowing public sector workers to unionize.
"My belief is as long as people know what they're doing, collective bargaining is fine," Scott said in an interview with Tallahassee's WFLA FM radio station.
Florida Governor Rick Scott Gives Thumbs Up To Public Worker Organizing | TPMDC

You assume Floridians "know what they are doing".
Does that include Broward county ? :lol:

This is probably the one and only time I will feel any warmth toward our rightwing gov...

Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) is now to the right of Florida Governor Rick Scott (R) on the question of allowing public sector workers to unionize.
"My belief is as long as people know what they're doing, collective bargaining is fine," Scott said in an interview with Tallahassee's WFLA FM radio station.
Yeah...And he's to the left of FDR.

FDR said:
"... Meticulous attention should be paid to the special relationships and obligations of public servants to the public itself and to the government. All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations ... The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for ... officials ... to bind the employer ... The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives ...

"Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of government employees. Upon employees in the federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people ... This obligation is paramount ... A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent ... to prevent or obstruct ... Government ... Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government ... is unthinkable and intolerable."

But as long as state workers are agreeing to pony up, Scott says the workers should be allowed to organize. Walker's drawn a bright line on that issue. Which is saying something -- the tea party favorite Scott is definitely no RINO.

oh they still get to organize and negotiate but it's limited to their salaries only, not their benefits. makes sense to me, once they're weaned from the private sugar tit they should stay weaned.

That's because AFSCEI or whatever they are called has rolled over like a little bitch. Scott is proposing an effective 15% pay cut and the union has basically acquiesced.

Yeah...And he's to the left of FDR.

FDR said:
"... Meticulous attention should be paid to the special relationships and obligations of public servants to the public itself and to the government. All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations ... The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for ... officials ... to bind the employer ... The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives ...

"Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of government employees. Upon employees in the federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people ... This obligation is paramount ... A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent ... to prevent or obstruct ... Government ... Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government ... is unthinkable and intolerable."

hush your mouth!!!

That's because AFSCEI or whatever they are called has rolled over like a little bitch. Scott is proposing an effective 15% pay cut and the union has basically acquiesced.

hey, they know in the end they'll get it back, the next dem. that comes along or craven rep. they'll get the 15% back.

do they kick in for their pensions and medical too?

Do you mean afscme?

I missed whatever you are talking about, please explain.

hey, they know in the end they'll get it back, the next dem. that comes along or craven rep. they'll get the 15% back.

For the most part, no.

But Florida state workers are amongst the lowest paid in the nation, which is especially true in the professions. Few professionals stay for any great length of time, usually for a couple of years before hopping off to the private sector. When the economy is good, the state has problems even filling some positions. Heck, even in this economy, the state has had problems filling and keeping highly skilled people.

EDIT - As for teachers ...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...ion-but-scott-wants-more-cuts-to-schools.html

Last edited:

Probably because the dude can read polls

Poll: Americans oppose weaker unions
By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY

Feb. 22, 2011

MADISON, Wis. — Americans strongly oppose laws taking away the collective bargaining power of public employee unions, according to a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll. The poll found 61% would oppose a law in their state similar to such a proposal in Wisconsin, compared with 33% who would favor such a law.

Poll: Americans oppose weaker unions - USATODAY.com

And I think that Indiana governor is going to back down on this.

The GOP didn't campaign on union busting in November. This shit came out of the blue, and only the tea bagging base is totally psyched for this.

The dittoheads think they are fighting san francisco liberals by taking on unions. I think reading Drudge 24/7 gave them the impression that this was some glorious crusade against liberal pinheads. They don't appear to realize they're taking on working americans. Firefighters, cops, teachers, and nurses.

The GOP has no problem with the unions. It seems that the unions have a big problem with reality. Americans don't want to be forced to join and contribute to a union just to get a job. It's called freedom.

For the most part, no.

But Florida state workers are amongst the lowest paid in the nation, which is especially true in the professions. Few professionals stay for any great length of time, usually for a couple of years before hopping off to the private sector. When the economy is good, the state has problems even filling some positions. Heck, even in this economy, the state has had problems filling and keeping highly skilled people.

EDIT - As for teachers ...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...ion-but-scott-wants-more-cuts-to-schools.html

Now that is surely the way to train the next generation to be able to compete with Japanese, Chinese, Indians, and Germans. Then again, given Scott's past performance as a CEO, that leaves more for him to make off with.

But as long as state workers are agreeing to pony up, Scott says the workers should be allowed to organize. Walker's drawn a bright line on that issue. Which is saying something -- the tea party favorite Scott is definitely no RINO.

oh they still get to organize and negotiate but it's limited to their salaries only, not their benefits. makes sense to me, once they're weaned from the private sugar tit they should stay weaned.

I agree. I work for Brevard County down here and I have no problem contributing to MY RETIRMENT. We already pay our part for HC benifits. As for raises?? Ain't seen one in about 3 years.

Of course some of the folks I work with don't see it that way.

The GOP has no problem with the unions. It seems that the unions have a big problem with reality. Americans don't want to be forced to join and contribute to a union just to get a job. It's called freedom.

We do have a Union at my job.

I don't have to join to work at my job. A job which I'm pretty damned good at and enjoy doing.

Thats the best way in my book.

The GOP has no problem with the unions. It seems that the unions have a big problem with reality. Americans don't want to be forced to join and contribute to a union just to get a job.

It's called freedom.

Right, I get it. GOPers want to join companies that have union-negotiated wages, and be able to collect those wages without contributing to or joining the people who actually negotiated the compensation.

Its called freeloading.

If you don't want to be in a union, then don't accept the union wages. Negotiate your own individual compensation package which will almost certainly be lower than what the union negotiated.

The union spent a lot of time money on negotiators, and lawyers to negotiate those wages. It doesn't come for free. Stop thinking like a free loader. You have to be a real cheapskate to want a union salary, without having to contribute or help the union that fought for it. If you want to accept a salary and benefits that unions fought for, chip in a few buck and help pay their legal and contractual expenses they had to pay to get those compensation packages. .

Last edited:

Forum List

Back