Kudos for Tony Blair

G

Gabriella84

I used to think that Tony Blair was a weak leader who cowered in Bush's shadow. After witnessing his reaction to the London bombing, it has to be the other way around.
I would say more, but the Rude Pundit has said it all for me. Quite truthfully, might I add. Too bad that the U.K. has an effective, forceful leader and this country does not.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

7/8/2005
Tony Blair In Purgatory:
Forget for a moment that Sarasota, Florida is about 860 miles from Washington, DC, roughly twice the distance that Gleneagles, Scotland is from London. Forget for a moment that after the attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, President Bush continued to read to schoolchildren until he was taken on a multi-state flight around the United States, while Tony Blair yesterday rushed back to London to assure his nation before rushing back to Scotland to assure that the work of the G-8 Summit would be accomplished. Forget that Bush's first words to America on 9/11 were to thank the school children, declare it a tragedy, and offer a moment of prayer, while Tony Blair, before leaving for London, spoke to the UK about terrorism, resolve and the world. Forget that Bush's speech to the nation that fucked-up day was given by a man looking like a deer in headlights, including a reassurance that capitalism was fine and a Bible quote, while last night in England, Blair gave a speech that's been described as Churchill-like in its rallying call and was also compassionate towards Muslims.

Forget all that. And think about Tony Blair for just one moment: dicked over time and again by George Bush and the United States on every world issue except for the war in Iraq. Think about the Prime Minister, coming back to London from that fine resort in Scotland, ready to hear about and talk about carnage. And let us think that, for a moment, he may have wondered if he's been played for a sucker by the neocon right and the White House. As the death toll rises, perhaps a thoughtful man, which we here in the U.S. with our thoughtless leaders often hope Blair is (in the same way we thought Colin Powell was an honest man), couldn't be blamed for second-guessing himself. Oh, no, he can't show it. But perhaps, in his sickened heart of hearts, as the police try to dig out the shattered corpses from the tunnels, Blair knows, fucking knows he's walked down the garden path with the very man who would put a bullet in the back of his skull if such an act would benefit the powerful in the United States, that he's tossed his chips onto a table filled with cheaters. Sure, he tried to bluff with sexed up documents and lies of his own, but he had no idea who he was dealing with.

In the end, Blair knows that once you've tossed in your ante, there's no gettin' out until the pot is played.

Bunch of crap if you ask me. 2005 is not 2001. Blair has been fighting the GWOT for 3 1/2 years now. Everything that Bush did over a two-week span in 2001, Blair did in one day. Good for him. That means he learned something from 9/11 - how to respond.

I don't think that is the case at all. I think, when disaster struck, Blair proved that he was a strong and compassionate leader. Since WWII, the British have always been well prepared for disaster and terror attack. I think this further points out how weak and inneffective Bush's leadership skills were.
Look at their reactions. Blair immediately reached out to the Muslim population of London, noting that the vast majority of them were peaceful citizens who did not condone the attack. Bush immediately sought to inspire hatred and hostility, which he still does.

Gabriella84 said:
I don't think that is the case at all. I think, when disaster struck, Blair proved that he was a strong and compassionate leader. Since WWII, the British have always been well prepared for disaster and terror attack. I think this further points out how weak and inneffective Bush's leadership skills were.
Look at their reactions. Blair immediately reached out to the Muslim population of London, noting that the vast majority of them were peaceful citizens who did not condone the attack. Bush immediately sought to inspire hatred and hostility, which he still does.
You're a moron with a very short memory. Right after 911 Bush kept telling us how the Muslims are peace-loving people, blah, blah, blah. Also, as GOP pointed out, there has been a lot of time go by since 911 and now. Furthermore, 911 wasn't a couple of bombs... it was a major attack and at the time NOBODY was sure what was going on.

You really need to take your blinders off. Your biases clearly fog your view and it is amazing that you THINK you are as intelligent as you THINK you are.

freeandfun1 said:
You're a moron with a very short memory. Right after 911 Bush kept telling us how the Muslims are peace-loving people, blah, blah, blah. Also, as GOP pointed out, there has been a lot of time go by since 911 and now. Furthermore, 911 wasn't a couple of bombs... it was a major attack and at the time NOBODY was sure what was going on.

You really need to take your blinders off. Your biases clearly fog your view and it is amazing that you THINK you are as intelligent as you THINK you are.

B-b-but Free, what about all the cool swear words. :gives:

Gabriella84 said:
Blair immediately reached out to the Muslim population of London, noting that the vast majority of them were peaceful citizens who did not condone the attack. Bush immediately sought to inspire hatred and hostility, which he still does.

I like the second one better. Why would you desire to be liked by members of a murderous death cult?

gop_jeff said:
Bunch of crap if you ask me. 2005 is not 2001. Blair has been fighting the GWOT for 3 1/2 years now. Everything that Bush did over a two-week span in 2001, Blair did in one day. Good for him. That means he learned something from 9/11 - how to respond.

Actually it took Blair nearly an hour and a half to have enough info to get up and speak to the people. Then it took another 45 min., till he was able to get the pic of 'important' leaders behind him, when he was at a G8 summit. His actual time back in London, was longer after the attacks stopped than when Bush returned to DC.

Once again, Gabby grabs what she wants to hear. :rolleyes:

Gabriella84 said:
I used to think that Tony Blair was a weak leader who cowered in Bush's shadow. After witnessing his reaction to the London bombing, it has to be the other way around.
I would say more, but the Rude Pundit has said it all for me. Quite truthfully, might I add. Too bad that the U.K. has an effective, forceful leader and this country does not.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

7/8/2005
Tony Blair In Purgatory:
Forget for a moment that Sarasota, Florida is about 860 miles from Washington, DC, roughly twice the distance that Gleneagles, Scotland is from London. Forget for a moment that after the attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, President Bush continued to read to schoolchildren until he was taken on a multi-state flight around the United States, while Tony Blair yesterday rushed back to London to assure his nation before rushing back to Scotland to assure that the work of the G-8 Summit would be accomplished. Forget that Bush's first words to America on 9/11 were to thank the school children, declare it a tragedy, and offer a moment of prayer, while Tony Blair, before leaving for London, spoke to the UK about terrorism, resolve and the world. Forget that Bush's speech to the nation that fucked-up day was given by a man looking like a deer in headlights, including a reassurance that capitalism was fine and a Bible quote, while last night in England, Blair gave a speech that's been described as Churchill-like in its rallying call and was also compassionate towards Muslims.

Forget all that. And think about Tony Blair for just one moment: dicked over time and again by George Bush and the United States on every world issue except for the war in Iraq. Think about the Prime Minister, coming back to London from that fine resort in Scotland, ready to hear about and talk about carnage. And let us think that, for a moment, he may have wondered if he's been played for a sucker by the neocon right and the White House. As the death toll rises, perhaps a thoughtful man, which we here in the U.S. with our thoughtless leaders often hope Blair is (in the same way we thought Colin Powell was an honest man), couldn't be blamed for second-guessing himself. Oh, no, he can't show it. But perhaps, in his sickened heart of hearts, as the police try to dig out the shattered corpses from the tunnels, Blair knows, fucking knows he's walked down the garden path with the very man who would put a bullet in the back of his skull if such an act would benefit the powerful in the United States, that he's tossed his chips onto a table filled with cheaters. Sure, he tried to bluff with sexed up documents and lies of his own, but he had no idea who he was dealing with.

In the end, Blair knows that once you've tossed in your ante, there's no gettin' out until the pot is played.

I will apologize in advance. This might be lengthy.

At the risk of sounding cold hearted - and the people who know me on this board know that I'm not that way - let me add this to the equation.

The UK, unfortunately, is "used" to the IRA bombing their towns. As sad as it sounds, it is the truth. To say that "another bomb" went off in Downtown London, isn't something that the citizens would be totally shocked at.

Granted, this was much worse than anything they have experience. But the initial shock was possibily again unfortunately, one of ..."oh geez...no again."

It was only after a few minutes that it turned out to be the awful disaster that it is.

Mr. Blair was told of another bombing in downtown. Yes, terrible. A shock beyond unimaginable portions, again, unfortunately, no.

Now we have our President. The morning of 9/11, he probably dodged an
assassination attempt:

----At about 6 a.m. Sept. 11, Longboat Key Fire Marshall Carroll Mooneyhan was at the front desk of the Colony Beach & Tennis Resort as Bush prepared for his morning jog. From that vantage point, Mooneyhan overheard a strange exchange between a Colony receptionist and security guard.

A van occupied by men of Middle Eastern descent had pulled up to the Colony stating they had a “poolside” interview with the president, Mooneyhan said. The self-proclaimed reporters then asked for a Secret Service agent by name. Guards from security relayed the request to the receptionist, who had not heard of either the agent or plans for an interview, Mooneyhan said.

The receptionist gave the phone over to a nearby Secret Service agent, who said the same thing — no one knew of an agent by that name or of any poolside interview.

The agent told the occupants of the van to contact the president’s public relations office in Washington, D. C., and turned them away from the premises, Mooneyhan said.

http://www.longboatobserver.com/showarticle.asp?ai=1874
---
Here is the President, knowing there was an unsuccessful assassination attempt on his life, wanting to fulfill his promise to the children of the school.

Yes, he knew before he walked into the classroom that a plane had hit the WTC. There was no indication at the first crash that it was an act of terrorism. He also has a staff of experts who were analyzing the situation and acting upon it. I, personally, can speak from experience that just because something tragic happens, the "commander" doesn't necessary act immediately - he has analysts, intel people, etc to disect the situation and then brief him on everything.

----Mr Bush arrived at the school, just before 9am, expecting to be met by its motherly principal, Gwen Rigell. Instead he was pulled sharply aside by the familiar, bulky figure of 51-year-old Karl Rove, a veteran political fixer and trusted aide of both Mr Bush and his father, George Sr.

Mr Rove, a fellow Texan with an expansive manner and a colourful turn of phrase, told the President that a large commercial airliner (American Flight 11) had crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Centre. Mr Bush clenched his teeth, lowered his bottom lip and said something inaudible. Then he went into the school.

At 9.03, as the President sat smiling anxiously in a class of seven-year-olds, United 175 smashed into the WTC's South Tower. At 9.05 the White House Chief of Staff, Andrew Card, 53, another long-time Bush friend and confidante, leaned in close to the President and whispered: "A second plane has hit the World Trade Centre. America is under attack."

This time Bush visibly flinched and caught his breath, but he said nothing. "I am very aware of the cameras," he recalled later. "I'm trying to absorb that knowledge. I have nobody to talk to. I'm sitting in the midst of a classroom with little kids, listening to a children's story and I realise I'm the Commander in Chief and the country has just come under attack."---

Make note: First told of an accident at 9:00 am. Then at 9:05 he was told about the second plane - and "American is under attack."

----At 9.12 Mr Bush left the classroom. By now the reporters' mobiles were ringing non-stop, and no one needed to ask why the school visit was being cut short. In a small, back office, the President scribbled a brief statement in black felt tip on a yellow legal pad.

"Today," he declared on nationwide television, "we have had a national tragedy. Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Centre. We're going to hunt down and find the folks who committed this act. Terrorism against our nation will not stand." At 9.28, as Bush was readying himself to speak to the cameras, an air traffic controller in Cleveland heard screams coming over the radio channel from United Flight 93.

He called the plane, but received no answer. Two minutes later, Mr Mineta, in Washington, issued an unprecedented directive ordering the Federal Aviation Authority to close all US airports.

Before making his first statement, Mr Bush had spoken to Dick Cheney and watched a recording of events at the World Trade Centre. He seemed, to those around him, to be rigid with rage.

"He watched the TV videos a couple of times," says an aide who was with him, "and then he just wheeled away with this look of absolute - I guess you'd have to say disgust more than hatred - on his face, and he walked out of the room. I didn't hear him say much. He didn't have to."

By the time Mr Bush had finished his TV address, it was 9.35 and outside the school the motorcade was revving up again, this time to take the President to Sarasota airport where Air Force One was waiting.----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/12/16/wbush16.xml

Visit cut short, and address to the nation done by 9:35 - an address that states: "we have had a national tragedy. Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Centre. We're going to hunt down and find the folks who committed this act. Terrorism against our nation will not stand."

Thirty minutes from first word of a terrorist attack to the end of his address to the nation.

And if you are wanting to say something about the "deer in the headlights" that the Bush-bashers so love to bring up, think about this.

You are the president of the United States. Someone tells you that terrorists have flown two airplanes into the WTC. Our country has never experienced anything on this grand of a scale (the garage bombing is no where near as huge as this). Here he is, in a classroom full of children.

What did you want him to do? Jump up screaming, "OH MY GOD, WE'RE BEING ATTACKED!" and run out of the room?

I believe his reaction was rather controlled, considering the impact of the news and what he probably wanted to do and say.

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy. What did John Kerry do when he was first told? Nancy Pelosi? Name anybody. What did they do?

What did you do? Turn on the TV and gawk? That is what I did. I was in the car...flipping through all the stations to get all the news I could get.

And I heard his address. I am a country-loving flag-waving citizen of the United States and his speech scared the hell out of me; and I had nothing to do with the attack.

Now we have our President. The morning of 9/11, he probably dodged an assassination attempt:

From the Black Helicopters, no dout. :boohoo:

yea i wish bush was mor like clinton a stong forcefully leader that really stood up when the us embasys were bombed and the uss cole was blown up and soliders in somalli were dragged through the streets....that is what we need ...a strong leader that knows what is is.

What does Clinton have to do with all this? Just because Clinton was a moron, that gives Bush an excuse to be a moron?
News Flash! Clinton is NO LONGER PRESIDENT! He'd out playing hide the sausage as a private citizen. His security lapses did not allow Sept. 11 to happen. He did not invade a sovereign nation to avenge his daddy.
Clinton did stupid things. People re-elected him. Bush does stupid things. People re-elected him. Some things never change.

Gabriella84 said:
From the Black Helicopters, no dout. :boohoo:

No mention of helicopters. No mention of someone's imagination. This is the same M.O. as a previous assassination carried out by terrorists:

"The Secret Service may have foiled an assassination attempt. Two days earlier, Ahmed Shah Massoud, leader of Afghanistan's Northern Alliance, had been murdered by a similar ruse. Two North African men, posing as journalists from "Arabic News International," had been requesting an interview with Massoud since late August. Ahmad Jamsheed, Massoud's secretary, said that by the night of September 8, "they were so worried and excitable, they were begging us." An interview was arranged for the following day. As it began, a bomb hidden in the video camera exploded, killing the two journalists. Massoud was rushed by helicopter to a hospital in Tajikistan, but was pronounced dead on arrival (although his death was not acknowledged until September 15)"

http://www.ict.org.il/spotlight/det.cfm?id=699

Gabby, sometimes you are funny. Most of the time you are ridiculous. But when you make light of the death, or possible assassination, of the President of the United States - regardless of how you personally feel - you are just repulsive.

I make light because this is one of the most ridiculous and implausible theories I have ever heard concerning Sept. 11. And I have read a great number of them. I have never read anything about an alleged assassination attempt. It is merely another excuse for Bush's incompetent handling of Sept. 11.

For doing the same that President Bush did durning 9/11, but yet says President Bush was wrong for the way he handled it..... It must be nice to be young and dumb, and be spoon fead all your thoughts. :baby4: And then come on here and present these so called thoughts as her own. :gross2:

Stephanie said:
For doing the same that President Bush did durning 9/11, but yet says President Bush was wrong for the way he handled it..... It must be nice to be young and dumb, and be spoon fead all your thoughts. :baby4: And then come on here and present these so called thoughts as her own. :gross2:

Let me know when your brain thaws out and I will attempt to rely to your ridiculous notions.
Do you get DSL or cable in your igloo? Do the polar bears ever eat through the lines? :rolleyes:

Gabriella84 said:
Let me know when your brain thaws out and I will attempt to rely to your ridiculous notions.
Do you get DSL or cable in your igloo? Do the polar bears ever eat through the lines? :rolleyes:
So what if she were an Inuit? Are you now condemning a class of people because of their surroundings or where they live? I thought you were Ms. Tolerant. I guess in reality you're nothing but Ms. "give me hundred dolla I show you good time."

freeandfun1 said:
So what if she were an Inuit? Are you now condemning a class of people because of their surroundings or where they live? I thought you were Ms. Tolerant. I guess in reality you're nothing but Ms. "give me hundred dolla I show you good time."

So it is OK to take pot shots at me because I live in San Francisco and attend Cal?
And if I were on the market, I would charge a LOT more than $100. Though I might give you a military discount.

Gabriella84 said:
I make light because this is one of the most ridiculous and implausible theories I have ever heard concerning Sept. 11. And I have read a great number of them. I have never read anything about an alleged assassination attempt. It is merely another excuse for Bush's incompetent handling of Sept. 11.

So because you never read anything about it, it doesn't exist?

http://www.voxfux.com/articles(closed)/00000009.html

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/timeline/main/essayaninterestingday.html

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/09/08/911/The_drama_in_Sarasota.shtml

Here are just three links of the many out there talking about the possible assassination attempt that you claim never happened because you never read about it.

Read these if you would like.

Oh wait...you probably shouldn't; this way you can still say it never happened.

Gabriella84 said:

Gabby,where are you getting this stuff?!!!!! As free stated,I remember Bush reminding people that this was not all Muslims and saying what he could to keep the calm against a possible uprising against Muslims. I want to see a quote where Bush tried to inspire hatred and hostility against Muslims. This is the kind of stuff that gets you beat up around here. You made this up because of your dissatisfaction with G.W. The reality that I remeber was Bush beng praised all over for his strength in leadership after 9-11. Remember how the country was united,or were you sleeping?

"I will not forget the wound to our
country and those who inflicted it.
I will not yield, I will not rest, I will
not relent in waging this struggle
for freedom and security for the
American people."

George W. Bush, September 20, 2001

That is leadership,Gabby.

Forum List

Back