Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

So if they have to cut hours per employee....will they still need the same total number of labor hours worked? If so...someone else will get hired to fill in that spot. Unemployment goes down!!!
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Well, if we outlaw power tools we can employ lots more people on existing construction projects!

I think Obama said he wanted to do that with ATM machines.

So if they have to cut hours per employee....will they still need the same total number of labor hours worked? If so...someone else will get hired to fill in that spot. Unemployment goes down!!!

I worked at a grocery store growing up (Ingles) in SC. I was "part time" but was always worked 40-50 hours a week, 10 hour shifts on weekends. Didnt get benefits. But, the store got their work.

You would think a rent-a-cop would understand how this works.

LOL

Oh how original...yet another cop joke. Seriously, you're crushing me. How will I ever recover..........some stranger on the internet called me a rent-a-cop. Oh my gawd...I better type my resume' and post it on here to prove you wrong.

They can currently work "as many hours as needed"? o_O.

Since when have you been able to work someone full time hours but deny them full time benefits?

Coors has done it for decades, They get away with it by laying you off after nine months,call you back after three months, they can do this three times ,then you have to be brought on as a full time employee or kick you to the curb, in the example of Coors 99% chance you be kicked to the curb,by the way as temp employ for Coors you would do 90% of the work of the full time employees and at half wages.

Since when have you been able to work someone full time hours but deny them full time benefits?

Since the beginning of time. The only thing federal law requires is that they get paid overtime, which is fine with every part time worker I ever met. Now they won't even have that.

I worked at a grocery store growing up (Ingles) in SC. I was "part time" but was always worked 40-50 hours a week, 10 hour shifts on weekends. Didnt get benefits. But, the store got their work.

If you think working 20 hours a week is employed then you are right. Up until Obama got elected, most people didn't.

Walmart has been getting away with not paying for employee healthcare forever. There oughta be a law, I tell ya.

Wonder how we could get something like that accomplished.

Since Obama was Crowned King don't ya' know!
Full time is 32 hours where I live.
Where do you live, France? :confused:

Ohio

It's basically up to the employeer, and we had employees who worked exactly 32 hours specifically so they could qualify as full time and get company insurance.

Coors has done it for decades, They get away with it by laying you off after nine months,call you back after three months, they can do this three times ,then you have to be brought on as a full time employee or kick you to the curb, in the example of Coors 99% chance you be kicked to the curb,by the way as temp employ for Coors you would do 90% of the work of the full time employees and at half wages.

So Coors hires stupid people who don't realize this?
Or is it a matter that people are happy to work for the wages offered so continue to do so? Which is the truth of the matter.
Every labor contract has two sides: employer and employee. Both have to sign.

Did you even think about what you were saying before you wrote this?

Same with me. The summer after I graduated high school was "part time" but working 40.

Last edited:

Same with me. The summer after I graduated high school was "part time" but working 40.

I worked at sams club in high school.

They were insane about making sure I worked the exact number of hours they could work me without being legally obligated to give me a lunch or pay me overtime, or give me benifits.

I admit, at 17 I wouldnt have minded working full time hours and not getting the benefits.

I think for a company to differentiate between part time to full time workers for benefits per federal labor laws part time has not been allowed to work over 32 hours for a long time.

Yeah, this is just smoke and mirrors.

As far back as the 70s, companies were doing the same thing. Cutting hours so they wouldn't' have to pay full time bennies.

Others in this thread have written about this. Let's hope the rw's don't fall for the lies - AGAIN.

Another nasty little trick is to fire people just before their retirement date so they can cut their LAWFULLY EARNED PENSIONS. In a previous thread, several rw's posted in favor of this and called the workers lazy bumz mooching off the system. In fact, I think Matthew whose avatar is a pig, was one of those rw's.

Mark my words, the rw's are cutting off their feet and the day will come when they're not real happy about having to walk on the stumps.

All an employer has to do is tell you to clock out at 39.9 hours a week.

Hell, look at what WalMart gets away with.

Thanks to the rw's, the working class is screwed.

All an employer has to do is tell you to clock out at 39.9 hours a week.

Hell, look at what WalMart gets away with.

Thanks to the rw's, the working class is screwed.

You'd prefer they didnt have jobs at all?

not sure but in California, they passed a law several years ago that changed the way OT was accrued or awarded....if I recall correctly anything over 8 hours in a day became time and half, now, you can work 10 hours BUT of you don't accrue 40 hours, no OT rate...

and then theres the old 'asst. shift mgr' rope a dope, you get a mgr's salary ( :rolleyes:) instead of hourly becasue your title says mgt. which means they can keep you there 10 a days hours and over 40...yet, no OT at all...Starbucks lost in court doing that I believe...(?)

They don't make a living wage but yeah twice as many would be working. That's assuming the purpose of the downsizing had squat to do with Obamacare.

They don't make a living wage but yeah twice as many would be working. That's assuming the purpose of the downsizing had squat to do with Obamacare.

What is a "living wage"?
This is one of the myths of liberalland: that everyone deserves a "living wage." IN the real world wages are determined by supply and demand.

What is a "living wage"?
This is one of the myths of liberalland: that everyone deserves a "living wage." IN the real world wages are determined by supply and demand.

They don't understand basic economics. Likely never taken a fucking class.

Idiots.

Forum List

Back