Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties
Flopping Aces ^ | 11/4/2012 | Doug Ross

Operative Faith reveals that Kroger will soon join the ranks of Durden Restaurants and slash the hours of its non-exempt (hourly) workers to avoid millions in Obamacare penalties.

To give you a sense of Kroger’s size and importance, its sales last year were $90 billion and it employs nearly 350,000 people. Most of its jobs are hourly and the vast majority of workers are neither millionaires or billionaires.

Faith is a mid-level manager at Kroger and reports the dire news:

Last week we found out that, beginning in January, any employee who is not full-time at that point,will be limited to 28 hours per week and all new hires will be subject to the same policy.

Currently, part-time employees can work as many hours as needed.

Many Kroger employees, I believe, will be shocked to find out about this new policy.
Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties | Flopping Aces

Liberals always forget the laws of economics. They never learn. :eusa_boohoo:

I think for a company to differentiate between part time to full time workers for benefits per federal labor laws part time has not been allowed to work over 32 hours for a long time.

So lots of high school kids bagging groceries will be limited to 28 hours a week...........rather than being labled "part time", but being forced to work 40+ hours a week anyway?? Thats common practice in the past.

They can currently work "as many hours as needed"? o_O.

Since when have you been able to work someone full time hours but deny them full time benefits?

So you're ignoring the main point of this story?
It isn't just Kroger. Everyone is going to be looking at downsizing full time people to part time people to avoid Obamacare penalties. Of course the Democrats figured this would happen, so they did the only logical thing: They redefined "full time" to mean 30 hours a week. So instead of working full time, people won't even be able to work part time.
But since these are largely the dopes that voted for that motherfucker to begin with, they get what they deserve.

So if they have to cut hours per employee....will they still need the same total number of labor hours worked? If so...someone else will get hired to fill in that spot. Unemployment goes down!!!

I worked at a grocery store growing up (Ingles) in SC. I was "part time" but was always worked 40-50 hours a week, 10 hour shifts on weekends. Didnt get benefits. But, the store got their work.

So if they have to cut hours per employee....will they still need the same total number of labor hours worked? If so...someone else will get hired to fill in that spot. Unemployment goes down!!!

I worked at a grocery store growing up (Ingles) in SC. I was "part time" but was always worked 40-50 hours a week, 10 hour shifts on weekends. Didnt get benefits. But, the store got their work.

That's the French approach: ration jobs.
It worked real well. Yup.

Full time is 32 hours where I live.

Im not ignoring the main point of the story, it's common sense that companies are going to do whatever is cheapest for them. However I have also been out working the last 6 years, and so I know that all the "companies are going to start" is pure bullshit. Companies have been doing this since the recession hit.

6 years ago, I worked 45 hours a week and I had a staff of 6, 4 full time 2 part time. Last year before I quit my job, I was working 36 hours a week with a staff of 2 part time girls.

I'm also aware that companies will employ no more than they need and the ACA won't stop them from employing someone who's needed as long as the costumers are there.

Im not ignoring the main point of the story, it's common sense that companies are going to do whatever is cheapest for them. However I have also been out working the last 6 years, and so I know that all the "companies are going to start" is pure bullshit. Companies have been doing this since the recession hit.

6 years ago, I worked 45 hours a week and I had a staff of 6, 4 full time 2 part time. Last year before I quit my job, I was working 36 hours a week with a staff of 2 part time girls.

I'm also aware that companies will employ no more than they need and the ACA won't stop them from employing someone who's needed as long as the costumers are there.

Ever hear of a temp service contractor? Marginal hiring needs will be farmed out.

ACA changes the incentives and cost structures for labor. All companies will respond to this. Whether the incentives are enough to affect them or not is a different matter. And namely the cost structure is higher, so companies will look at every way to cut those costs. Technology that might have been too expensive compared to labor now looks more favorable. Cutting full time workers to part time workers now makes more sense.
And btw, what costume were you wearing when you stopped working?

Ever hear of a temp service contractor? Marginal hiring needs will be farmed out.

It will make getting costumes for all those temps much harder and more expensive.

They can currently work "as many hours as needed"? o_O.

Since when have you been able to work someone full time hours but deny them full time benefits?
Since the benefits are at the pleasure of the owner of the business.

In the case of union shops like Kroger, the hours for employees will get busted down so that nobody exceeds the full-time requirement so that they won't be hit with the ever-escalating insurance costs brought on bu Obolshevikcare.

The days of working one full-time job are over.

ACA changes the incentives and cost structures for labor. All companies will respond to this. Whether the incentives are enough to affect them or not is a different matter. And namely the cost structure is higher, so companies will look at every way to cut those costs. Technology that might have been too expensive compared to labor now looks more favorable. Cutting full time workers to part time workers now makes more sense.
And btw, what costume were you wearing when you stopped working?

2121722682_fa743bfdd1.jpg

What's new about this? I worked at plenty of jobs that hired me as "Part Time" so I couldn't join the union or get benefits. Kroger being one of them. You are a part time employee as long as you are labeled part time. You can still work as many hours as you want you just don't get benefits. Nothing new here. Anyway Kroger has a benefit package so how is Obama-care hurting them?

You would think a rent-a-cop would understand how this works.

LOL

Forum List

Back