Kristol On Kerry-This Week

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Kristol has been hard on GW, he's a neocon that thinks the administration wrong, but this is devastatingly accurate:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/672upfks.asp?pg=1

Disgraceful
From the October 4, 2004 issue: The disgraceful behavior of John Kerry and his team is sufficient grounds for concern about his fitness to be president
by William Kristol
10/04/2004, Volume 010, Issue 04

WE REALLY DON'T KNOW what a President John Kerry would do about Iraq. His flip-flops about the war, his inconsistencies, the ambiguity of his current position (win or withdraw?)--all of these mean we can only guess about a Kerry presidency. He would probably be inclined to get out of Iraq as soon as possible; it might be the case, however, that as president he would nonetheless find himself staying and fighting. Who knows?

What we do know is this: Kerry and his advisers have behaved disgracefully this past week. That behavior is sufficient grounds for concern about his fitness to be president.

On Tuesday, President Bush spoke to the United Nations General Assembly. Senator Kerry decided not to say anything supportive of the president as he made the American case to the "international community." Nor did he simply campaign that day on other issues. No. Less than an hour after President Bush finished speaking in New York, Kerry was criticizing his remarks in Jacksonville, Florida: "At the United Nations today, the president failed to level with the world's leaders. Moments after Kofi Annan, the secretary general, talked about the difficulties in Iraq, the president of the United States stood before a stony-faced body and barely talked about the realities at all of Iraq. . . . He does not have the credibility to lead the world."

So Kerry credits Kofi Annan--who a few days before had condemned the "illegal" American war in Iraq--as a more accurate source of information on the subject than the president of the United States. Kerry also seems to think it significant that the General Assembly sat "stony-faced" while the president spoke. Would the applause of delegates from China, Sudan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and, yes, France, have made the president's speech more praiseworthy in Kerry's eyes?

Then Kerry was asked about Kofi Annan's description of the war in Iraq as an "illegal" invasion. Kerry answered: "I don't know what the law, the legalities are that he's referring to. I don't know." So the U.S. government is accused of breaking international law, and Kerry chooses not to defend his country against the charge, or to label it ridiculous or offensive. He is agnostic.

Then Kerry continued: "Well, let me say this to all of you: That underscores what I am saying. If the leader of the United Nations is at odds with the legality, and we're not working at getting over that hurdle and bringing people to the table, as I said in my speech yesterday, it's imperative to be able to build international cooperation." It's our fault that the U.N. is doing almost nothing to help in Iraq. After all, according to Kerry, "Kofi Annan offered the help of the United Nations months ago. This president chose to go the other way."

Leave aside the rewriting of history going on here. The president of the United States had just appealed for help from the United Nations and its member states to ensure that elections go forward in Iraq. Kerry could have reinforced that appeal for help with his own, thereby making it a bipartisan request. He chose instead to give the U.N., France, Germany, and everyone else an excuse to do nothing over these next crucial five weeks, with voter registration scheduled to begin November 1. If other nations prefer not to help the United States, the Democratic presidential candidate has given them his blessing.

Two days later, Iraqi prime minister Ayad Allawi spoke to a joint meeting of Congress. Sen. Kerry could not be troubled to attend, as a gesture of solidarity and respect. Instead, Kerry said in Ohio that Allawi was here simply to put the "best face on the policy." So much for an impressive speech by perhaps America's single most important ally in the war on terror, the courageous and internationally recognized leader of a nation struggling to achieve democracy against terrorist opposition.

But Kerry's rudeness paled beside the comment of his senior adviser, Joe Lockhart, to the Los Angeles Times: "The last thing you want to be seen as is a puppet of the United States, and you can almost see the hand underneath the shirt today moving the lips."

Is Kerry proud that his senior adviser's derisive comment about the leader of free Iraq will now be quoted by terrorists and by enemies of the United States, in Iraq and throughout the Middle East? Is the concept of a loyalty to American interests that transcends partisan politics now beyond the imagination of the Kerry campaign?

John Kerry has decided to pursue a scorched-earth strategy in this campaign. He is prepared to insult allies, hearten enemies, and denigrate efforts to succeed in Iraq. His behavior is deeply irresponsible--and not even in his own best interest.

There is some chance, after all, that John Kerry will be president in four months. If so, what kind of situation will he have created for himself? France will smile on him, but provide no troops. Those allies that have provided troops, from Britain and Poland and Australia and Japan and elsewhere, will likely recall how Kerry sneered at them, calling them "the coerced and the bribed." The leader of the government in Iraq, upon whom the success of John Kerry's Iraq policy will depend, will have been weakened before his enemies and ours--and will also remember the insult. Is this really how Kerry wants to go down in history: Willing to say anything to try to get elected, no matter what the damage to the people of Iraq, to American interests, and even to himself?

--William Kristol

© Copyright 2004, News Corporation, Weekly Standard, All Rights Reserved.

President Bush should make some of these same points when he debates Kerry on television.

onedomino said:
President Bush should make some of these same points when he debates Kerry on television.

:beer: Hopefully they are reading. I do know they read the blogs and links.

Kristol is a Jew. He cares about what happens to Jews, not Americans. He supports the use and abuse of Lutherans from Iowa for the advancement of Jewish purposes. He should be thrown out of our nation.

William Joyce said:
Kristol is a Jew. He cares about what happens to Jews, not Americans. He supports the use and abuse of Lutherans from Iowa for the advancement of Jewish purposes. He should be thrown out of our nation.

And you are a bigot. You care only what happens to the bigots. You should be thrown out of our nation.

this is exactly what i want to see articulated.

Sad thing is I dont think Kerry is done sinking down. If he continues this he may make mondale look like a winner.

NATO AIR said:
he has been quite heinious this week

our relations with iraq will be weakened if he becomes president

If he is elected im not sure we will be around to be weakened.

The thing is, kerry's whole campaign has turned into one looooooong and constant Bush bash.

I'm 49 years old, and I've been through a few of these Presidential election ordeals. But this one is BY FAR, the worst I have ever seen. I have never before seen a candidate behave like kerry. I know liberals like to preach doom and gloom to their subjects, but I've NEVER heard it ratcheted up to the point where kerry is at now. The som' bitch scares the holy shit otta me.

I'm saying right now, if he got elected, I would loose ALL FAITH in America. I can't believe there'd be that many ignorant morons that would vote this dangerous liberal into office. I'd surely feel as though I DON'T belong in this country.

Pale Rider said:
The thing is, kerry's whole campaign has turned into one looooooong and constant Bush bash.

I'm 49 years old, and I've been through a few of these Presidential election ordeals. But this one is BY FAR, the worst I have ever seen. I have never before seen a candidate behave like kerry. I know liberals like to preach doom and gloom to their subjects, but I've NEVER heard it ratcheted up to the point where kerry is at now. The som' bitch scares the holy shit otta me.

I'm saying right now, if he got elected, I would loose ALL FAITH in America. I can't believe there'd be that many ignorant morons that would vote this dangerous liberal into office. I'd surely feel as though I DON'T belong in this country.

Im starting to wonder if Kerry isnt being sabatoged by a certain witch who wants to run in 08

Im starting to wonder if Kerry isnt being sabatoged by a certain witch who wants to run in 08

You and me both. Of course, if she wants to sabotage Kerry's campaign, she couldn't find a deadlier way to do it than to simply let the idiot open his mouth.

What a vile, digusting creep John Kerry is! He has come full circle, finishing exactly wherre he started - giving aid and comfort to America's enemies. Rot in hell, you prick.

This seems like a watershed moment in history to me. Part of me, admittedly maybe a delusional part, believes the libs may attempt some sort of revolution when they lost this time. Am I insane, I mean, on THIS issue?

I'm so disgusted about their "the republicans will suppress the black vote" rhetoric, it seems like they're willing to instigate a race war to get control this time. Please, someone pull me back from this thought precipice.

rtwngAvngr said:
This seems like a watershed moment in history to me. Part of me, admittedly maybe a delusional part, believes the libs may attempt some sort of revolution when they lost this time. Am I insane, I mean, on THIS issue?

I'm so disgusted about their "the republicans will suppress the black vote" rhetoric, it seems like they're willing to instigate a race war to get control this time. Please, someone pull me back from this thought precipice.

It's a scary place, isn't it? Wish I could help, but my brother thinks exactly the same thing. I find our conversations unsettling, to say the least.

When you think about it, though, liberalism is running out of options. It cannot tolerate the free exchange of ideas. Absent it's stranglehold on the dissemination of information, it simply cannot survive. Tyrants do not go gently and willingly in to that good night. NOTHING they do in the next few years will surprise me.

I'm going to go pull the covers over my head now.

rtwngAvngr said:

I think there are going to be quite a bit of Bush Haters who will start rebellion. Bully has already admitted it several months ago. Apparently they hate Bush so much they are willing to rip apart the union for it.

needless to say i think the libs will start going nuts after this. I am certain people will start seriously consider that book on assasinating the President. I hope if anyone tries anything they fail miserably though. they better fail. we need to be even more viligilent in the next few years.

musicman said:
What a vile, digusting creep John Kerry is! He has come full circle, finishing exactly wherre he started - giving aid and comfort to America's enemies. Rot in hell, you prick.

Exactly. We keep hearing from some kerry supporters on this board that his post-Viet Nam actions happened 34 years ago. They insist that these actions are no longer relevant, that they do not care about them and neither should we.

They are deluding themselves and attempting to sucker us. The fact is that kerry's actions back in the seventies were the defining moment for this man. Those actions demonstrated his character - or lack thereof. His actions in recent months indicate that he has not changed. He is still a traitor. He will still do any deed, tell any lie, support any foe, alienate any friend and subvert his own nation in his insane quest for power.

Rotting in hell is too good for the scum. I hope he and Teresa have to spend the rest of eternity exiled on an island enjoying each other's company.

I think there are going to be quite a bit of Bush Haters who will start rebellion. Bully has already admitted it several months ago. Apparently they hate Bush so much they are willing to rip apart the union for it.

needless to say i think the libs will start going nuts after this. I am certain people will start seriously consider that book on assasinating the President. I hope if anyone tries anything they fail miserably though. they better fail. we need to be even more viligilent in the next few years.

There will be no revolution.

By and large the ultra leftists are gutless. The only thing they will shoot off is their mouths.

If they mount any assault at all, it will be through the courts where they hope to find allies on benches occupied by other liberal zealots.

Even if I'm wrong about this, I wouldn't worry too much. Remember that liberals are the gun control fanatics. It's conservatives who own all the firepower. Maybe that's why libs are so anxious to see guns confiscated.

Merlin1047 said:
There will be no revolution.

By and large the ultra leftists are gutless. The only thing they will shoot off is their mouths.

If they mount any assault at all, it will be through the courts where they hope to find allies on benches occupied by other liberal zealots.

Even if I'm wrong about this, I wouldn't worry too much. Remember that liberals are the gun control fanatics. It's conservatives who own all the firepower. Maybe that's why libs are so anxious to see guns confiscated.

Merlin, don't you think that most armed robbers are democrats? :funnyface

Forum List

Back