Kosovo Freedom Fighters Still Face Problems From Tyrants and Dictators

JeffWartman

Jul 13, 2006
Suburban Chicago
Kosovo Freedom Fighters Still Face Problems From Tyrants and Dictators

...The newly formed state of Kosovo, which declared it's independence from Serbia last week, is facing mounting opposition from tyrants and dictators from around the globe.

The United States and many nations in the European Union, rightly, have said they will recognize the new nation of Kosovo.

However, some tyrants and dictators have said they do not support the right of a free people to chose freedom in their own country.

The ethic Albanians in Kosovo have been abused, ignored and beaten for a long time. It's their right, as humans, to stand up and declare their independence from a country that treats them as animals. The only precedent set from this is that an abused people will no longer believe there is no way out -- they are not enslaved by remaining in a country in which they have no desire to live. Forcing them to remain a province within Serbia is nothing short of slavery...

http://www.jeffwartman.com/2008/02/kosovo-freedom-fighters-still-face.html

The UN condemned Serbia's action today for their usual bad manners, for whatever that's worth. I'd keep a couple of firearms close by rather than rely on it for anything.

I was in Belgrade in October and talked about this with a couple of colleagues there. It was obvious that their feelings about it ran very deep.

And it's interesting to note that Jeff Wartman is implying that anyone who doesn't agree that Kosovo has a right to independence must be a tyrant or a dictator. I wouldn't have thought that Cyprus and Spain are classic examples of tyrannical dictatorships.

It's a difficult question, no matter how facile Wartman would like it to appear, and I don't think many people fully understand it. In addition, once the gate is open as it is now, how many other issues will groups with an ax to grind try to push through, rightly or wrongly.

Chechen independence from Russai?
Cyprus being split in half (Greek / Turkish)?
Basque separatism in Spain?
Kurdish independence from Iraq?
Tamil nationalism in Sri Lanka?

I could go on.

And let's not forget that, when secession is driven by ethnic reasons (as in this case) nothing good tends to come of it. Look at Pakistan and India.

If Serbia does instigate a trade blockade, As Kostunica has threatened, and Russia continues to support him, that turns this into a really significant east-west dispute.

The Balkans is a powder keg, and people oversimplifying it simply pours oil of the fire. The fire is hot enough already.

Forum List

Back