Korea's Attractions that CNN acknowledges

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
As Korean Wave is gaining popularity, and the number of foreign visitors to Korea is increasing, the tourist attraction landscape foreigners go to have changed. Before, tourists often went to experience Korea's traditional culture, but nowadays, due to the Korean Wave, tourists are showing interest in entertainment agencies.

Few days ago, CNN not only presented Bukchon traditional village, Changgyeong palace as the 'must go place' of Seoul, but also included SM Entertainment office building.

SM Entertainment has produced great stars like Girl's Generation, Super junior, and Shinee. SM Entertainment building is always overcrowded with both foreign and domestic fans. In order to accommodate the demand of the fans, SM Ent has created Noraebang, where fans can sing K-Pop, and souvenir shops where fans can buy Girl's Generation and Super Junior posters and diaries. SM Ent holds showcases when new albums are released for the convenience of tourists.

Likewise, Korean Wave has transcended being a fever into a cultural icon. We hope Korean Wave's influence evolves to provide developments in Korea's tourism industry.

Korean is tough, and transliterations not as standard as with many other languages.

Every time I read a story about Korea I swear I can actually smell the Kimchee, Andol and sewage from the Benjo ditches.

My wife will sometimes buy a bottle of Kimchee and it'll stink up everything in the fridge.

Every time I read a story about Korea I swear I can actually smell the Kimchee, Andol and sewage from the Benjo ditches.

My wife will sometimes buy a bottle of Kimchee and it'll stink up everything in the fridge.
But can you still taste the Soju and the formaldehyde-laden Budweiser? :lol:

ETA: the cucumber kimchee is the way to go!

Last edited:
As Korean Wave is gaining popularity, and the number of foreign visitors to Korea is increasing, the tourist attraction landscape foreigners go to have changed. Before, tourists often went to experience Korea's traditional culture, but nowadays, due to the Korean Wave, tourists are showing interest in entertainment agencies.

Few days ago, CNN not only presented Bukchon traditional village, Changgyeong palace as the 'must go place' of Seoul, but also included SM Entertainment office building.

SM Entertainment has produced great stars like Girl's Generation, Super junior, and Shinee. SM Entertainment building is always overcrowded with both foreign and domestic fans. In order to accommodate the demand of the fans, SM Ent has created Noraebang, where fans can sing K-Pop, and souvenir shops where fans can buy Girl's Generation and Super Junior posters and diaries. SM Ent holds showcases when new albums are released for the convenience of tourists.

Likewise, Korean Wave has transcended being a fever into a cultural icon. We hope Korean Wave's influence evolves to provide developments in Korea's tourism industry.

If I ever went to S.Korea I would want to see the DMZ...

I would find that more interesting than anything S.Korea has to offer.

Seeing North Korean and US soldiers standing only feet away from one another with a line dividing them.

I'd grab one of those North Korean fuckers and drag him across the line.... Of course that would be right after I said "why did the chicken cross the road? to get to the other side" :lol:

I don't know how those guys can just stand there silent for hours on end shoulder to shoulder day in and day out and not say a word.

Seeing North Korean and US soldiers standing only feet away from one another with a line dividing them.

I'd grab one of those North Korean fuckers and drag him across the line.... Of course that would be right after I said "why did the chicken cross the road? to get to the other side" :lol:

I don't know how those guys can just stand there silent for hours on end shoulder to shoulder day in and day out and not say a word.
I took that tour of the DMZ when I was at Camp Bonifas, and it's pretty intense. They require that you be dressed well, also, or you could end up starring in a NK propaganda film. You are warned against any provocation of the NK soldiers - it's not a Buckingham Palace situ - you are reminded again and again and again that you are representing the U.S.

They let you go into the SK side of the negotiation room, which is surprisingly small. This is the place where they mainly argue about the size of each country's flag on the table.
icon_rolleyes.gif

My main interest was seeing the site of the Ax Murder Incident, which has fascinated me since it happened in the summer of 1976 (Camp Bonifas is named after the Captain who was murdered).

What's very interesting is that all the SK (ROK) guards must be black belts, and they stand facing their NK counterparts, the NK guards face each other, with a third between them and the SK side, to prevent defection!

ETA: One of my souvenirs from that day:

0518121804.jpg

Last edited:

I took that tour of the DMZ when I was at Camp Bonifas, and it's pretty intense. They require that you be dressed well, also, or you could end up starring in a NK propaganda film. You are warned against any provocation of the NK soldiers - it's not a Buckingham Palace situ - you are reminded again and again and again that you are representing the U.S.

They let you go into the SK side of the negotiation room, which is surprisingly small. This is the place where they mainly argue about the size of each country's flag on the table.
icon_rolleyes.gif

My main interest was seeing the site of the Ax Murder Incident, which has fascinated me since it happened in the summer of 1976 (Camp Bonifas is named after the Captain who was murdered).

What's very interesting is that all the SK (ROK) guards must be black belts, and they stand facing their NK counterparts, the NK guards face each other, with a third between them and the SK side, to prevent defection!

ETA: One of my souvenirs from that day:

0518121804.jpg

Yeah I saw a documentary (well several) on the DMZ and have read several books about the DMZ/Korean War...

I've seen the official DMZ (in the docs aforementioned) where the North Korean soldiers stare at one another on their side and we kinda do the same on our side.... Of course when the US have have something to say we have to say it through a bullhorn/megaphone...

I've always had an interest in 20th century totalitarianism/authoritarianism, especially Kim Il-Sung, Kim Jong-Il and now I suppose Kim Jong-Un...

Considering the direction China is heading I don't know why China doesn't allow the US to go into N. Korea along with allied forces to liberate the North Korean People then turn N. Korea over to S. Korea to create a unified Korea and end the war..

The only thing I can think is that North Korea would pull a "Jonestown" if that was attempted. That or would strike China and South Korea...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back