Korean's must not be as capable as they claim.....

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Since they rejected what we asked, they must not be as ready to defend themselves as they claim.

MAY 21, 2004 22:15
by Ho-Won Choi ( [email protected])

The U.S. wanted to transfer more responsibilities from its armed forces in Korea to the Korean military than the 10 duties that Korea agreed to take over at the sixth council for Korea-U.S. cooperation at Hawaii last January.

“At that time, a high-ranking official from the U.S. Armed Forces in Korea asked us, ‘Is it possible for the Korean military to take over more duties of the U.S. Forces in Korea?” but we rejected it, saying that we cannot take over more in the current situation than the existing 10 duties,” Nam Dae-youn, a spokesperson of the Ministry of National Defense, said at a briefing on May 21.

Last year, Korea and the U.S. agreed that the Korean military would take over 10 duties from the U.S. military in Korea by 2006 △ guarding the Joint Security Area △ protecting against chemical, biological and radiological attacks at the communications zone △ blocking North Korean special forces for marine penetration △ controlling backup for the air force △ quick installing land mines △ investigating system at day and night △ firing warfare responding to a North Korean artillery attack.

Originally posted by Gop guy
Damn man, you're active in this forum.
I lived in Korea for three years and I am still involved in business there, primarily in the defence industry.

My wife is Korean and her family (with whom I am very close) still live there. I own a business (sales office) there, and have some real-estate investments there, so I care about what is going on over there very much (damn, I used 'there; a lot!).

I leave next week on a trip to Korea, Malaysia and Singapore so I keep up with what is going on in that part of the world. Since I am involved with Korea's defence industry, I meet some prominent Koreans and I have some pretty good insight into their geo-political and defense issues.

I love the country and consider it a second home.

Forum List

Back