Koppel Says News, Entertainment a Dangerous Mix

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://au.news.yahoo.com/040421/11/onif.html

Koppel, who has been a reporter, anchor and producer at ABC News for nearly 40 years, quoted from a 1958 speech in which Murrow warned that television was increasingly being used to "distort, delude, amuse and insulate us," which Koppel termed a prescient warning of what has come to pass.

In the early days of television, news divisions were seen as loss leaders for the networks, a means of serving the public interest while broadcasters raked in profits. But today, with profit margins squeezed by increased competition, news divisions are expected to carry their own weight and turn a profit, a motive that often conflicts with the traditional editorial decision-making process.

Well Edward Murrow knew what was coming. No one paid attention though.

The thing is the public wants truth. Fox airs both sides. The others don't validate conservatism by airing that interpretation of things much.

The ones lying most about the president are the big three "loss leader, public service" big network news shows. Let's just look at one colossal lie. "This was a unilateral action." That's a bold faced lie perpetuated by the leftist media, not fox.

This isn't and never has been a unilateral action. We had a coalition from the very beginning.

What, the 3000 British troops in Iraq?
He-he. Just kidding.

I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly (I get most of my news from sources other than TV) but if by unilateral you mean Republican-only... no the war def. had it's Rep and Dem proponents so you're right the claim it was unilateral is in that sense false...I suppose.

But if Fox is your best example of un-biased reporting....puh-lease. I mean, I watch it and do appreciate the occasional no-spin zone...but, really. Who are you kidding?

Yeah. NONE of the media EVER said bush was engaging in unilateralism. Nobody. In fact, I've never heard the word in the media regarding Iraq. I love big brother, too.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Yeah. NONE of the media EVER said bush was engaging in unilateralism. Nobody. In fact, I've never heard the word in the media regarding Iraq. I love big brother, too.

I'm sure there is apoint in there, it must be hiding behind all of that sarcasm.
<--daring you to make sense

Originally posted by nycflasher
I'm sure there is apoint in there, it must be hiding behind all of that sarcasm.
<--daring you to make sense

Yes. Most of the mainstream media has been blantatnly lying about this for three years. I didn't realize I had to dumb it down.

Yes. Most of the mainstream media has been blantatnly lying about this for three years. I didn't realize I had to dumb it down.

Yeah, well you do. Go back to that baby talking you were speaking before.

Better yet, call me a faggot before every point you make then it will be clear...crystal.

Actually, if you called me a pinko faggot that would really energize your posts and lend credibility to them.

Maybe you could get Big D in on the action. You could start every post with "Hey you ******-loving, pinko, faggot..."

Those are words EVERYONE understands.
Globalist Neocon...ha.
Are you so sure your not just an asshole?

Yeah, well you do. Go back to that baby talking you were speaking before.

Better yet, call me a faggot before every point you make then it will be clear...crystal.

Actually, if you called me a pinko faggot that would really energize your posts and lend credibility to them.

Maybe you could get Big D in on the action. You could start every post with "Hey you ******-loving, pinko, faggot..."

Those are words EVERYONE understands.
Globalist Neocon...ha.
Are you so sure your not just an asshole?

I did it once. Why don't you calm down. And quit running around like a little wounded birdy, chirping for all to hear. I know it pissed you off when I beat you in your own rap battle.

I did it once. Why don't you calm down. And quit running around like a little wounded birdy, chirping for all to hear. I know it pissed you off when I beat you in your own rap battle.

Whatever all that means. I lost my RWA thesaurus. And if you think you can beat me at anything why don't you start a contest and put it to a vote.

Until then, you can be #1 in your own mind:D... if that will placate you.

Whatever all that means. I lost my RWA thesaurus. And if you think you can beat me at anything why don't you start a contest and put it to a vote.

Until then, you can be #1 in your own mind:D... if that will placate you.

Reading Is Fundamental, Corky from "Life Goes On".

Reading Is Fundamental, Corky from "Life Goes On".

Until then, you can be #1 in your own mind... if that will placate you.

Come on, back to News and Entertainment...

Reading Is Fundamental, Corky from "Life goes on."

This means I'm calling you a mongoloid who can't read. Once again, I had to dumb it down. Why is that?

Forum List

Back