Kool Kitty Enclosures

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Jeremiah

piedmont-triad-cat-enclosure.jpg

I really love these.

Our cats are inside-only and they love our screened in porch. Its part of the deck so it looks out over the lake and its constant traffic of birds, squirrels, chipmunks and their favorite, lizards.

They spend a good part of their day out on the porch, lounging or pretend-stalking.

Our master bedroom is enormous though and I would love to build some catwalks. It has to wait though - other things are higher priorities.

I hope someone paints it a couple of coats before it gets wet. It sure looks like yellow pine. The support posts look like they're treated timbers, but everything else looks like pine. The lattice work on top looks nice, but it'll have to be spray painted from top and underside. Also, the stair rails are sitting on the ground, which means they'll eventually rot. They should've been on concrete or bricks. A very nice design, but wrong material. For a few dollars more, it could've been something that would've lasted a very long time.

Also, it would've been better and cheaper to build it almost entirely out of PVC pipe. Then, it wouldn't need painting and it would last until someone tore it down. A lot cheaper in the long run. Just curious, are they going to mow the grass, or just let it grow? Where is the shelter from the rain?

The vertical span of the enclosure wire should be supported with horizontal pieces between each posts, half way between the ground timbers and the top cross beam. It would not only give strength and support for the enclosure wire, but give the cats walk boards all the way around the pen.

Nice idea, but needs a little more thought put into it. My guess is that excluding the paint, the cost so far is between $1,000 and $1,500.

Hell...seeing most of these pics makes me wanna build such a place for ME, lol.

I hope someone paints it a couple of coats before it gets wet. It sure looks like yellow pine. The support posts look like they're treated timbers, but everything else looks like pine. The lattice work on top looks nice, but it'll have to be spray painted from top and underside. Also, the stair rails are sitting on the ground, which means they'll eventually rot. They should've been on concrete or bricks. A very nice design, but wrong material. For a few dollars more, it could've been something that would've lasted a very long time.

Also, it would've been better and cheaper to build it almost entirely out of PVC pipe. Then, it wouldn't need painting and it would last until someone tore it down. A lot cheaper in the long run. Just curious, are they going to mow the grass, or just let it grow? Where is the shelter from the rain?

The vertical span of the enclosure wire should be supported with horizontal pieces between each posts, half way between the ground timbers and the top cross beam. It would not only give strength and support for the enclosure wire, but give the cats walk boards all the way around the pen.

Nice idea, but needs a little more thought put into it. My guess is that excluding the paint, the cost so far is between $1,000 and $1,500.
Shingles. And some eaves. And hidey holes. And a door to get inside the house in cold weather but they can go outside if they wanna.

Shingles. And some eaves. And hidey holes. And a door to get inside the house in cold weather but they can go outside if they wanna.
Is that yours? For your cats?

No. Jeremiah is building an enclosure for her kitty so it is an inside only kitty. Thought I would post some cool pics so she can get ideas of one to build.:)
I don't have a cat. It died. Just read the FZ. Oh. Wait. You have.

No. Jeremiah is building an enclosure for her kitty so it is an inside only kitty. Thought I would post some cool pics so she can get ideas of one to build.:)

Git yer buns down to the shelter and adopt a couple of feline friends.

Yes, they're nice pictures. I design and build custom bird cages. I love building things. It's interesting to see what others design and build. I'm sorry about your cat. Yes, I did read about it.

Yes, they're nice pictures. I design and build custom bird cages. I love building things. It's interesting to see what others design and build. I'm sorry about your cat. Yes, I did read about it.
It's been a "wonderful" target to get brownie points. So much fun fun fun for some.

Anyway....here is one that would be really inexpensive. They can go outside to get fresh air and just watch passersby and still have access to the house in cold weather or if threatened:

8169bd7b45e53b65987bc3d803310680.jpg

Forum List

Back