Koi Pond Pondering...........

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
We have a nice little Koi Pond in the backyard. We added some goldfish and others to it, and today found some critter (we are thinking a raccoon maybe) got in it and ate a lot of the fish.

Without having to put a fence around it, how do we keep the critters out?

Thanks!

A small electric wire fence is the only way to keep critters out.
Stakes around the pond fairly close together and close to the ground and about 4 inches high.
You can still get to the pond and have access.
Turn off the power when you want to just sit around and enjoy it. :)

We have a nice little Koi Pond in the backyard. We added some goldfish and others to it, and today found some critter (we are thinking a raccoon maybe) got in it and ate a lot of the fish.

Thanks!

Echo,

Raccoons and snakes are the two biggest problems with home ponds. And goldfish are east prey. they are small enough and stupid. you know what else is a potential predator, a neighborhood cat. they love to fish.

Snakes or racoons you aren't keeping out. you could put a netting, but that destroys your view and snakes will still get through it.

here's a little garter snake eating a baby shebunkin from my pond

DSC00177.jpg

here's a partial view of my pond.

DSC00265.jpg

oh, birds could do it too. I had a blue heron take out at least 50 in about 20 minutes

Thanks!

Echo,

Raccoons and snakes are the two biggest problems with home ponds. And goldfish are east prey. they are small enough and stupid. you know what else is a potential predator, a neighborhood cat. they love to fish.

Snakes or racoons you aren't keeping out. you could put a netting, but that destroys your view and snakes will still get through it.

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

oh, birds could do it too. I had a blue heron take out at least 50 in about 20 minutes

wow nice pond...i would love a pond like that.....takes a lot of work....a small pond is just a holding tank for predators

Thanks!

Echo,

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

wow nice pond...i would love a pond like that.....takes a lot of work....a small pond is just a holding tank for predators

yea, it is a lot of work. as a mattet of fact tomorrow i'm draining it and cleaning it. i built a pvc fram and cover it in the fall with netting to keep the leaves out. but a bunch get in anyway. plus, the lilly pads grow like mad and every few years i have to thin them out. 2 years ago i pulle out 10 cubic feet of roots. it's 16' x 24' and 5 1/2 feet deep. so everything winters over fine. it's like a built in pool. I dug it by hand when i was young and foolish lol

Raccoon's are very smart critters. I've had them around here for years and I've taken to live trapping them and relocating them several miles away along a river bank. Still have some as there is a den tree in the back yard.

If you do try to trap them in a cage use marshmallows as bait, they love that. You may have to glue the mellow to the trigger though because a coon is very smart. Put a line of mellows in to the wire cage and when he/she tries to eat the one on the trigger ... bang you got a live coon. Then take it out somewhere and release.

The thread title made me do it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZELhd6oDek]YouTube - ‪Poi Dog Pondering - Be The One‬‏[/ame]

Try building a removaeable screen that you can lay on top of the pond and secure in a removable fashion.

If you can find the right mess made of the right thing( something that will not harm the fish diue to contqact with the water) it should be fairly easy.

When you want to enjoy the pond you can remove it so you can view the fish better and hand feed them.

Racoons are very clever it may take some creative fastening ideas.

Raccoon's are very smart critters. I've had them around here for years and I've taken to live trapping them and relocating them several miles away along a river bank. Still have some as there is a den tree in the back yard.

If you do try to trap them in a cage use marshmallows as bait, they love that. You may have to glue the mellow to the trigger though because a coon is very smart. Put a line of mellows in to the wire cage and when he/she tries to eat the one on the trigger ... bang you got a live coon. Then take it out somewhere and release.

You're missing the point: Coon pie.

Thanks!

EZ, how long have you had the pond? Keeping cats out is nearly impossible, and they are prone to very contagious diseases that they seem to spread quickly throughout the pond.

Yikes.

Forum List

Back