Koffi: The UN Is Important and So Am I!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Gag me!

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110006324

Our Mission Remains Vital
The U.N. needs to be reformed, but it still performs a crucial function.

BY KOFI A. ANNAN
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:01 a.m.

In the past year I have read many attacks on the United Nations--quite a few, but by no means all, in the pages of this newspaper.
That pains me, because I have served the U.N. all my life. I have done, and am still doing, everything I can to correct its imperfections, and to improve and strengthen it. And I believe profoundly in the importance of that task, because a strong U.N. is of vital importance to humanity.

When the appalling disaster of the tsunami struck in the Indian Ocean, killing at least 150,000 people and destroying the livelihood of millions, President Bush acted quickly to form a core group of nations with available military forces in the region. That was the right thing to do. It got the relief efforts off to a flying start, which was essential.

But a week later, when all involved came together in Jakarta to plan and coordinate the multinational effort, everyone, including the U.S., agreed that the U.N. should take the lead.

Why? For two reasons.

First, the U.N. had the necessary skills. Its Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, which I formed in 1997 soon after I took office, is designed exactly for the role that was required--a light structure, not getting in anyone's way or doing their job for them, but able quickly to locate needed supplies and contact whatever organization can deliver them.

But second, and even more important, everyone was willing to work with the U.N.: the governments and people of the affected countries, the donors, and the nonprofit organizations whose role is so essential in all emergencies, great and small. All of them recognize that the U.N. is the right body to lead, because it is in no one's pocket. It belongs to the world...

BY KOFI A. ANNAN

In the past year I have read many attacks on the United Nations--quite a few, but by no means all, in the pages of this newspaper.
That pains me, because I have served the U.N. all my life.
The UN could be an extremely good organisation, however half the people in the top jobs have been there for generations and cover each others backs.Get rid of the old boys club at the top and get some do'ers not talkers in at the top.Then we'll have a true United Nations.

taff said:
BY KOFI A. ANNAN

That pains me, because I have served the U.N. all my life.
The UN could be an extremely good organisation, however half the people in the top jobs have been there for generations and cover each others backs.Get rid of the old boys club at the top and get some do'ers not talkers in at the top.Then we'll have a true United Nations.

I may be a bit snarky, but I do believe it's that the UN has served Kofi his whole life!

Thats what i mean.Thank him very much, give him a watch and a golden handshake then show him the door.Lets get some action.The foundations are there for a highly efficient organisation.Just needs someone fresh to guide it in the right direction.

taff said:
Thats what i mean.Thank him very much, give him a watch and a golden handshake then show him the door.Lets get some action.The foundations are there for a highly efficient organisation.Just needs someone fresh to guide it in the right direction.

Well on the beginning we agree, later not so much so. Personally I believe the whole organization is corrupt to the core. But heh, that's just me.

If it's so damn important, why is he letting it turn into a big shit pile and refusing to hang the crooks? We shall see if he strips Sevan of his diplomatic immunity.

Because their an old boys club ,like i said earlier.Wipe out the heirarchey completly leaving noone in a position of power.Then set fixed terms for the new people.

taff said:
Because their an old boys club ,like i said earlier.Wipe out the heirarchey completly leaving noone in a position of power.Then set fixed terms for the new people.
How do we wipe em out?

Thats what we need to find out.I just think in theory a world force of peacekeepers ready to be deployed as required could achieve so much if used as and when required.Not tied up in beurocracy or used as a political pawn.

taff said:
Thats what we need to find out.I just think in theory a world force of peacekeepers ready to be deployed as required could achieve so much if used as and when required.Not tied up in beurocracy or used as a political pawn.

And how does the UN resemble that? I agree with the above premise, the UN appears though to be the wrong instrument.

Kathianne said:
And how does the UN resemble that? I agree with the above premise, the UN appears though to be the wrong instrument.

The UN doesnt resemble it at all.Heads must roll.New personal throughout and try to rebuild it from scratch otherwise what is the alternative apart from America permantly sacrificing the lives of it's young men in conflicts around the globe.This should not be an option.Not whilst armies from democratic countries sit idly in their barracks.

taff said:

I think heirachies are a natural process, existing in most organizations, someone has to be in charge.

Said1 said:
I think heirachies are a natural process, existing in most organizations, someone has to be in charge.
When i say wipe out i mean replaced.

Im watching you Said1, dont you get pedantic with me :teeth:

taff said:
When i say wipe out i mean replaced.

Im watching you Said1, dont you get pedantic with me :teeth:

I know what meant, and heirarchies still naturally develop, since the aim is to stay in charge, once you're on top. :slap: :poke:

Pedantic? What does that mean, it's not in my dictionary! :cry:

Kofi desperately needs a new speechwriter/babysitter.

When publicly speaking about the U.N., he should never be allowed to utter the word "pocket". This is just common sense.

Kathianne said:
Well on the beginning we agree, later not so much so. Personally I believe the whole organization is corrupt to the core. But heh, that's just me.

Yes most definately from top down and down up.

At least Kofi doesn't suffer lack of worth issues :tinfoil:

Forum List

Back