Kodak not making cameras anymore.

Here is one question that I would put to the Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates that are competing to control America's goverment: At one time both the Eastman Kodak company and the Polaroid corporation were power houses in the photography industry. Now both have gone bankrupt. What do you think that says about America? And what can be done to rectify the situation?

What's it say about America? Same thing it says everywhere else...You snooze, you lose.
Fail to keep up with developing technology and how to capitalize on it, while the competition embraces and enhances it, and you're SOL.

There is an interesting site for looking at the statistics of the situation.
This link shows information about the usage of Kodak cameras at the flickr photo site

This link shows information about the usage of Apple iPhones at the flickr photo site

It doesn't take a statistics guru to see that while the usage of Kodak Easyshare cameras has been declining, the usage of Apple iPhones as cameras has been increasing.

The statistics just confirm what is generally known, that people have been discarding their Kodak EasyShare "point and shoot" cameras in favor of using cellphones for snapshot photography.

The Kodak EasyShare series of cameras were however successful in their time, with well over 100 million images taken by them having been uploaded to flickr.

Kodak announced it will no longer make cameras, they will only concentrate on processing film.
The company was one of the biggest corporate casualties of the digital age as it failed to quickly embrace modern technologies such as digital photography, which it invented in 1975.

Kodak, which filed for bankruptcy protection last month, said on Thursday that getting out of cameras would result in "significant" job losses. Most of the 400 people in that business are based in Rochester, New York, and work in research and development and marketing.
Who do you suppose is to blame for this catasrophe?
Most would some way blame those damn workers with all of their demands.
If this does not show that the top...the ones that make major decisions are more than likely the demise of a company with their inability to invest and to look into the future.
But it is easy to blame the workers.
UPDATE 3-Kodak to shutter camera business | Reuters

UNIONS FOREVER!
People buy the cheapest competitive model. They quit buying USA stuff starting in the early 80s, and made foreign market outlets a mountain of money.

When the USA model is $800 and the China model is $19.99, they go for the low tag.

I have a Kodak camera and a Kodak printer, both of which were purchased in the last year and a half (possibly 6 months ago on the camera). I'm sorry to see them quit their tradition. If they invented digital photography, they should be able to enjoy their profits for 50 years before anyone else can copy them.

I don't know why we're not respecting patents for 50 years. In some parts of the world, it's longer than what we tolerate. History of the Digital Camera

I hope other American companies step in and use American technology. We're better when American companies provide American help we can talk to in our own language. Just sayin. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
What is surprising is how often this happens. GM should rule the auto world given it's 1960 position. The word 'hubris' was invented for the stupendous fall (not really; that's 'hyperbole').
Schwinn bicycles should at least rule the US with the place it held at the same date.
Many, many more examples exist.
Climb into that special world of 'exceptional success' and something happens. Things that ought not be done are for the satisfaction of someone on high who does it because he can, not necessarily because it is the best thing. He has an idea and will see it done.
Yet, he is never alone. Minions are always ready to salute whatever flag the leader runs up.

pretty soon film will be a thing of the past as will Kodak.

Don't say that, or what will I do with my Pentax Spotmatic?

I am already lucky because it is a F model, and that takes lightmeter batteries that are still in production. But all other earlier models take an obsolete battery, so you cannot use the internal lightmeter.

creative destruction at work.

they missed the Digital wave....now there will be a scramble for what patents they still hold and then, they'll close their doors or will be bought up and amalgamated with another co....

creative destruction at work.

they missed the Digital wave....now there will be a scramble for what patents they still hold and then, they'll close their doors or will be bought up and amalgamated with another co....
It's a bummer. I wish Kodak would change their minds, and stay in business. Dad took all the family pictures with a Kodak, oh, what a loss.

Forum List

Back