Koch industries, other CEOs warn employees of layoffs if Obama is reelected

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Peepers
I'm sorry, but how is this legal? This is political blackmail.
Don't get hysterical. It's nothing of the sort.

It most certainly is. Business owners have no legal right to try to intimidate their employees against voting for a specific person. It is against the law, and exactly what they are doing here.

It most certainly is. Business owners have no legal right to try to intimidate their employees against voting for a specific person. It is against the law, and exactly what they are doing here.

Oh palease....

:lol:

That doesn't qualify as intimidation, moron. Check with your local police.

According to the WARN act, employers planning to lay off more than 50 workers are REQUIRED to tell them employees of the possibility.

Just because the presidebt told employers that the government would pick up the losses and judgments for violating the law, it doesn't mean the law was changed.

Wrong, turd. What government employees are allowed bares no resemblance to what private employers are allowed. I don't pay taxes so some sleazy unprincipled Marxist toadies can indoctrinate my children with their political agenda.

Perhaps you are not familiar with colleges?

Corporations can claim losses on their taxes essentially socializing their losses, they receive subsidies from local and state governments to open businesses in their states and pay tax lawyers to get out of paying taxes.

As I said, if you hate one type you should hate both. :lol:

Next time attempt to not be such a hack by not using Rush buzz words like "Marxist toadies", you will have more credibility that way.

29 USC § 2102 - Notice required before plant closings and mass layoffs

■§ 2101. Definitions; exclusions from definition of loss of employment
■§ 2102. Notice required before plant closings and mass layoffs
■§ 2103. Exemptions
■§ 2104. Administration and enforcement of requirements
■§ 2105. Procedures in addition to other rights of employees
■§ 2106. Procedures encouraged where not required
■§ 2107. Authority to prescribe regulations
■§ 2108. Effect on other laws
■§ 2109. Report on employment and international competitiveness

29 USC Chapter 23 - WORKER ADJUSTMENT AND RETRAINING NOTIFICATION | LII / Legal Information Institute

Obama wants to raise taxes on business's that make over 250,000 per year, those are small business's, when business have to pay more in taxes they don't have money left over to pay employees. The taxes coming their way with Obama care is bone chilling, business's will cut their employees to under 50 to avoid having to pick up insurance cost and they will also cut hours to under 30 a week to avoid it. But below is another e-mail from a CEO, you should read the entire article as it explains in very clear and concise terms what it takes to run a successful business that employs thousands. The government can't employ us all as the government is the consumer of wealth and the private sector the producer of wealth. The government makes nothing it can sell for a profit or a service, they are takers from productive business's and people and these business's and people pay the paychecks for government employess.

Read the full email below.

-------------------------------------
To All My Valued Employees,

As most of you know our company, Westgate Resorts, has continued to succeed in spite of a very dismal economy. There is no question that the economy has changed for the worse and we have not seen any improvement over the past four years. In spite of all of the challenges we have faced, the good news is this: The economy doesn't currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is another 4 years of the same Presidential administration. Of course, as your employer, I can't tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn't interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. In fact, I encourage you to vote for whomever you think will serve your interests the best.

However, let me share a few facts that might help you decide what is in your best interest.The current administration and members of the press have perpetuated an environment that casts employers against employees. They want you to believe that we live in a class system where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. They label us the "1%" and imply that we are somehow immune to the challenges that face our country. This could not be further from the truth. Sure, you may have heard about the big home that I'm building. I'm sure many people think that I live a privileged life. However, what you don't see or hear is the true story behind any success that I have achieved.

I started this company over 42 years ago. At that time, I lived in a very modest home. I converted my garage into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you. We didn't eat in fancy restaurants or take expensive vacations because every dollar I made went back into this company. I drove an old used car, and often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business -- hard work, discipline, and sacrifice. Meanwhile, many of my friends got regular jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a nice income, and they spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into this business ---with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford to buy whatever I wanted. Even to this day, every dime I earn goes back into this company. Over the past four years I have had to stop building my dream house, cut back on all of my expenses, and take my kids out of private schools simply to keep this company strong and to keep you employed.

Just think about this - most of you arrive at work in the morning and leave that afternoon and the rest of your time is yours to do as you please. But not me- there is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have that freedom. I eat, live, and breathe this company every minute of the day, every day of the week. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. I know many of you work hard and do a great job, but I'm the one who has to sign every check, pay every expense, and make sure that this company continues to succeed. Unfortunately, what most people see is the nice house and the lavish lifestyle. What the press certainly does not want you to see, is the true story of the hard work and sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and people like me who made all the right decisions and invested in themselves are being forced to bail out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed 42 years of my life for. Yes, business ownership has its benefits, but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds. Unfortunately, the costs of running a business have gotten out of control, and let me tell you why: We are being taxed to death and the government thinks we don't pay enough. We pay state taxes, federal taxes, property taxes, sales and use taxes, payroll taxes, workers compensation taxes and unemployment taxes. I even have to hire an entire department to manage all these taxes. The question I have is this: Who is really stimulating the economy? Is it the Government that wants to take money from those who have earned it and give it to those who have not, or is it people like me who built a company out of his garage and directly employs over 7000 people and hosts over 3 million people per year with a great vacation?

Obviously, our present government believes that taking my money is the right economic stimulus for this country. The fact is, if I deducted 50% of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, that's what happens to me. Here is what most people don't understand and the press and our Government has chosen to ignore - to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Instead of raising my taxes and depositing that money into the Washington black-hole, let me spend it on growing the company, hire more employees, and generate substantial economic growth. My employees will enjoy the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But that is not what our current Government wants you to believe. They want you to believe that it somehow makes sense to take more from those who create wealth and give it to those who do not, and somehow our economy will improve. They don't want you to know that the "1%", as they like to label us, pay more than 31% of all the taxes in this country. Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said, "democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To restart it, you must stimulate business, not kill it. However, the power brokers in Washington believe redistributing wealth is the essential driver of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change they want. So where am I going with all this? It's quite simple. If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company. Rather than grow this company I will be forced to cut back. This means fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone.

So, when you make your decision to vote, ask yourself, which candidate understands the economics of business ownership and who doesn't? Whose policies will endanger your job? Answer those questions and you should know who might be the one capable of protecting and saving your job. While the media wants to tell you to believe the "1 percenters" are bad, I'm telling you they are not. They create most of the jobs. If you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the "1%"; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country.

You see, I can no longer support a system that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities. If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about.

I agree with just about everything he said here and he's right. But, within the context of publishing this to all your employees: this couldn't be much worse. On one hand, he's basically saying "feel sorry for me because i gave up a lot to create this job for you", but on the other, he's saying that they're all ultimately unimportant and suggesting that they're the takers. If i got this email from the CEO of my company, i would be put off a bit.

Ultimately, i don't think it's really required for a CEO to publish a communication regarding the upcoming election to all of his/her employees. If they really felt obligated to, it would be wise to form it like a company-wide update on how the overall health is doing. The core of it would be something like this:

"As I'm sure you are all well aware of, an important presidential election is looming. You are receiving this to inform you that myself and the senior officers of this company have reason to believe that if the election goes a certain way, this company may be made to shoulder a significantly larger tax burden. Every one of you is a valued member of our team and we appreciate the efforts you put forth every day in helping to make this a successful company. If the company happens to incur a significantly larger tax burden in the near future, we may be forced to reduce the workforce here at Company X in order to remain a leader in the competitive marketplace. I feel obligated to communicate this to you now in the effort make sure that you, valued members of our team, are aware of the health of the company overall and are able to continue to ensure that yourself and your families are taken care of.

With that said, i encourage every one of you to register and vote for the candidate that best represents your views and you feel will best represent you you interests. Thank you for your attention and all the great work you do here at Company X."

I whipped that up quickly and i could probably do a better job with more time but it's a lot more subtle and thought provoking. It also stresses each person's importance to the company while encouraging people to educate themselves politically before participating in the political process in exercising their right to vote."

Elections have consequences.

Obama is just crushing the little people.

Just crushing them....

The little people who voted for a tea party candidate crushed themselves.

If they vote for Romney, they will be killing the middle class forever.

There is a huge difference between teachers and students and employers and employees. BUt only a lolberal would equate children with employees.
It is a First Amendment issue. Companise have every right to communicate whatever they want to workers. It used to be liberals believed in the 1A.

Okay Rabbler...

Where did I say that they did not have the RIGHT to say what they wanted to? Oh yeah, I didn't.. They have have the right to under "1A", does that make it the right thing to do... NO.

Children was inaccurate assessment on my part (because they can't vote), but more so college students and high-school aged children.

Either way, if you are against one you should be against both.. It's not a matter of the companies right to do it, you keep trying deflect with that particular "straw man" but nobody is arguing that they don't have the right.

It's about scare tactics. These are particular people have been vocal both in funding and outspokenness against the president, this is just a last ditch effort on their part to try and get their way by threatening their employees.
You have yet to show they are doing anything wrong. Communicating with your employees as to what will happen if Obama gets re-elected is not wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZgHjIOTk8U]Bill Moyers Essay: When Bosses Push Their Politics - YouTube[/ame]​

Forum List

Back