Know Who Knows What's Best?

1."During a Michigan House Education Committee hearing earlier this month, Debbie Squires, director of the Michigan Elementary and Middle Schools Principals Association, told members that while parents may have have the best intentions, they may not know what‘s best for their children’s education.

That's because a lot of parents wouldn't be able to find Iraq on a map, can't name the Vice-President, and are more interested in 'American Idol' than being informed.

Yes, liberals keep telling each other that.

Ha -- like we ever hesitated reminding that to the concervatives as well ;)
Unfortunately for you, conservatives (note the correct spelling, you high-IQ and well-educated liberal) aren't as gullible as you are.

And I notice you deleted the rest of my post. Do you really think that means it doesn't exist?

Apparently, in addition to being experts in everything, liberals are gullible, too.

Perhaps you should read my signature. It's apropos.​

"conservatives (note the correct spelling, you high-IQ and well-educated liberal)"

Proverbs 16:18
"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

It wouldn't let me give you a rep....

1."During a Michigan House Education Committee hearing earlier this month, Debbie Squires, director of the Michigan Elementary and Middle Schools Principals Association, told members that while parents may have have the best intentions, they may not know what‘s best for their children’s education.

That's because a lot of parents wouldn't be able to find Iraq on a map, can't name the Vice-President, and are more interested in 'American Idol' than being informed.

You're not really denying that there are 'teachers' in the same position...are you?

You're not really denying that there are 'teachers' in the same position...are you?
Of course I am. The history teacher and the social studies teacher knows current events and where Iraq is and who the VP is, I'm pretty positive.

Now, does the chemistry teacher? Who knows, but who gives a shit? They aren't teaching them that stuff.

Conversely, I don't expect the history/social studies teacher OR the parents to know the Table Of Elements, either.

Love the Heinlein quote! Is it from one of his novels?

Good quote....seems more like the theme of an Ayn Rand novel.

Hahaha, could be. In the Heinlein novels I've read, he always seems to have an elderly professorial character who, during some portion of the tale, serves as a mentor for the story's main character, and this professorial type always seems to be spouting roughly the same Jeffersonian theory as it relates to the situation at hand. Due to this character's consistency from story to story, my guess is that it's the representation of Heinlein's philosophy coming through.

At any rate, the philosophy is typically pretty Jeffersonian, placing paramount importance on individual freedom. I think if the two authors ever met, they'd have a lot to agree on.

Hahaha, could be. In the Heinlein novels I've read, he always seems to have an elderly professorial character who, during some portion of the tale, serves as a mentor for the story's main character, and this professorial type always seems to be spouting roughly the same Jeffersonian theory as it relates to the situation at hand. Due to this character's consistency from story to story, my guess is that it's the representation of Heinlein's philosophy coming through.

At any rate, the philosophy is typically pretty Jeffersonian, placing paramount importance on individual freedom. I think if the two authors ever met, they'd have a lot to agree on.

Recently heard a lecture by Charles Murray, and your reference to 'Jeffersonian theory' brings to mind, this quote, which Murray centralizes:

a. Jefferson, in his First Inaugural Address "A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."

b. The civic culture that grew out of this was seen as exceptional by the entire world. It is unraveling today.

c. Instead, today, we have have the fulfillment of Tocqueville's warning about “an immense, tutelary power, which takes sole charge of assuring their enjoyment and of watching over their fate.” ... it wishes to be the only agent and the sole arbiter of that happiness. It provides for their security, foresees and supplies their needs, guides them in their principal affairs, directs their industry, regulates their testaments, divides their inheritances.” Can it “relieve them entirely of the trouble of thinking and of the effort associated with living”?

Of course I am. The history teacher and the social studies teacher knows current events and where Iraq is and who the VP is, I'm pretty positive.

Now, does the chemistry teacher? Who knows, but who gives a shit? They aren't teaching them that stuff.

Conversely, I don't expect the history/social studies teacher OR the parents to know the Table Of Elements, either.

"A new report out today shows that California's public schools often have teachers who are under-prepared for the subjects they are teaching, making it more challenging to raise student achievement."
California's Teachers Too Few, Too Unprepared - NAM

"Some evidence suggests that college graduates who enter the teaching profession tend to have lesser academic skills. Using data from the National Longitudinal Study of 1972 high school seniors, Vance and Schlechty (1982) found college graduates with low Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores more likely than those with high SAT scores to enter and remain in the teaching force. Ballou (1996), using data from the Surveys of Recent College Graduates, found that the less selective the college, the more likely that its students prepared for and entered the teaching profession."
Chapter 1: Elementary and Secondary Education - Teacher Quality

"...teacher quality
has remained squarely in the middle of national and
state education agendas. At the same time, more and
more evidence has been accumulated to show the link
between teacher ability and student achievement."
http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/pdf/TQ_full_report.pdf

"Other complaints: Teacher colleges are not selective enough in whom they admit — elementary-education teachers have average SAT scores below the national mean — and don't give would-be teachers sufficient skills to teach their curriculum or instruct diverse groups of students."
education colleges spotlight: Critical spotlight will soon shine on nation's education colleges - Orlando Sentinel

Seems like you fit right in there...

Under-prepared is still better than ignorant.

Had education prepared you better, you'd probably understand what 'under-prepared' meant about said teachers.

Now, I know and interact with a great many homeschooling parents, and haven't found any 'ignorant' in the sense of your previous post...

...but I have found a number about whom I might agree,are 'ideologically ignorant.' These would be the 'unschoolers,' such as the parents of the artist first quoted in the article.

Sadly, your argument falls apart as there are many 'ideologically ignorant' teachers.

These include all those who attempt to indoctrinate children in their charge. Youtube has many examples of 'teachers' having children sing paeans to Obama, and criticize those who evince conservative values.

Then again, based on your political perspectives, you probably have more interactions with 'ignorant' than I.

You obviously have not read Starship Troopers.

Personal attacks and the use of stereotypes always convince me to change my opinions....

Only the brightest use these tactics.

Actually...they do.

It is well known that comedians are way smarter than AMW's

(ActressModelWhatever)

This may give some insight as to why you don't use "Personal attacks and the use of stereotypes..."

You should try it...it's fun.

After 40 years of liberal indoctrination in our schools and universities, the libs have come to the conclusion that the parents are still teaching their children to become conservatives.
So of course the next step is to get parents out of the way and teach our children not to listen to their parents and grandparents because they don't know anything. Then they can teach them to become good liberals.
That is the goal of what they are doing.

Van Jones Forces Innocent Children to Advocate Infrastructure Spending, Oppose Corporate Personhood on YouTube - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

After 40 years of liberal indoctrination in our schools and universities, the libs have come to the conclusion that the parents are still teaching their children to become conservatives.
So of course the next step is to get parents out of the way and teach our children not to listen to their parents and grandparents because they don't know anything. Then they can teach them to become good liberals.
That is the goal of what they are doing.

Van Jones Forces Innocent Children to Advocate Infrastructure Spending, Oppose Corporate Personhood on YouTube - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Those are the views of the Leftists...Very nicely summarized.

Here, the very words of the first Progressive President, Woodrow Wilson:

"The purpose of a university should be to make a son as unlike his father as possible."
“The University's Part in Political Life” (13 March 1909) in PWW (The Papers of Woodrow Wilson) 19:99.

With the way teachers are bashed, anyone with a brain would major in something else...

New Topics

Forum List

Back