Knives

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
When I bought this house, it had been a vacation home for some people up north. They left all their stuff and I had to have it all hauled off. I kept a few things. I kept their knives. They left several knives and until the time I've lived here and used them, I never realized that I didn't have enough knives or enough really decent ones. A lot of their stuff I thought I might use has since been discarded, but I still use the knives.

My daughter is a fabulous cook. She has an array of knives the likes of which I've never seen. I have a set of Chicago cutlery, and a few of those knives which are supposed to never need sharpening, and of course the ones the previous owners of this house left.

My favorite knife of all time was a little knife that was only about 4 inches long including glade and handle. My hands are small and that was such a great little knife in the kitchen. But I lost it and by then the company had stopped making it. I have grieved for my little knife for years, and I've never found a really good knife that small again.

What is your 'philosophy of knives?' Do you have one you prefer over others? Your favorites etc.?

My favorite is the one I keep under the matress on my bed. Sadly, the UK has ridiculous gun laws so a knife (and the baseball bat I keep by the door) serve a duel purpose. Useful things.

My favorite is the one I keep under the matress on my bed. Sadly, the UK has ridiculous gun laws so a knife (and the baseball bat I keep by the door) serve a duel purpose. Useful things.

Get yourself a crossbow before Parliament begins introducing 'measures' on them. We've got one and they had a devastating effect on the shed door my wife insisted I replace after I had one too many beers last summer.

I LOVE knives. In my youth, I was a veritable porcupine of sharp hardware. My favorite was a small stiletto type knife concealed in a money clip. Hand over the money, press the button and the knife went right through a hand. I have always loved knives, the look of them, the feel of them. There is nothing more beautiful than a well crafted knife.

Times change, although I still love knives, I have graduated to guns.

Or did you mean specifically kitchen knives?

Get yourself a crossbow before Parliament begins introducing 'measures' on them. We've got one and they had a devastating effect on the shed door my wife insisted I replace after I had one too many beers last summer.

:clap2:

Sounds like you could be a Texan :lol:

Ohhh I have a cross-bow! A couple, including a pistol grip mini crossbow. One of the very nicest things about a cross-bow is that they are SILENT! A big advantage if there is more than one intruder in your home. For home invasions, a cross-bow and night vision might be better than a gun.

Sounds like you could be a Texan

Perhaps, except I'm not. It's the wife who's American (South Carolina). No, I'm simply one of those Brits who hasn't lost sight of the benefits of keeping a weapon about the house. Although sadly I'm restricted by law to owning nothing more than a double barrel 12 bore.

When I bought this house, it had been a vacation home for some people up north. They left all their stuff and I had to have it all hauled off. I kept a few things. I kept their knives. They left several knives and until the time I've lived here and used them, I never realized that I didn't have enough knives or enough really decent ones. A lot of their stuff I thought I might use has since been discarded, but I still use the knives.

My daughter is a fabulous cook. She has an array of knives the likes of which I've never seen. I have a set of Chicago cutlery, and a few of those knives which are supposed to never need sharpening, and of course the ones the previous owners of this house left.

My favorite knife of all time was a little knife that was only about 4 inches long including glade and handle. My hands are small and that was such a great little knife in the kitchen. But I lost it and by then the company had stopped making it. I have grieved for my little knife for years, and I've never found a really good knife that small again.

What is your 'philosophy of knives?' Do you have one you prefer over others? Your favorites etc.?

A friend of mine had a set of cutco knives. They had really nice quality stuff.
I hope to buy a set really soon. Ive just always been too cheap.

CUTCO Cutlery & Vector Marketing: Kitchen knives, block sets, utensils

Sounds like you could be a Texan

Perhaps, except I'm not. It's the wife who's American (South Carolina). No, I'm simply one of those Brits who hasn't lost sight of the benefits of keeping a weapon about the house. Although sadly I'm restricted by law to owning nothing more than a double barrel 12 bore.

:tongue:

It was the mix of weapons and alcohol that made the connection for me
:lol:

Although, I don't know how to cook and can barely boil an egg.

I am into high quality chefs knives and the stones and hones to keep them razor sharp.

So I always volunteer to do all of the slicing and dicing for the food prep in my house.

My favorite is the 7" Santoku which is in my opinion the best all around kitchen knife.

It is a Japanese style knife with American ergonomics and many use high quality German steel.

One of the most popular is the Shun Classic 7" Santoku (they come in right and left handed models)

Shun® Classic 7" Santoku Knife in Open Stock Knives | Crate&Barrel

my favorite is the meat cleaver....i dont use it often but when i do.....its the only knife for the job

i would love a set of japanese steel knives

I've never owned one of those. I always bought chicken whole and cut them up when the family was around and I used a butcher knife. When my daughter was staying here she got a deal on some whole chickens for the freezer. I thawed one the other day and cut it up. There must be an art to it and I seem to have lost that art. It was a real pain. I was wishing for a good meat cleaver!

I LOVE knives. In my youth, I was a veritable porcupine of sharp hardware. My favorite was a small stiletto type knife concealed in a money clip. Hand over the money, press the button and the knife went right through a hand. I have always loved knives, the look of them, the feel of them. There is nothing more beautiful than a well crafted knife.

Times change, although I still love knives, I have graduated to guns.

Or did you mean specifically kitchen knives?

Any kind of knife.

A word of caution- I don't care if it's Henkel or Chicago Cutlery or whatever the brand...

Many of these high quality famous name brands are now made in China.
Look on the box very carefully. Look on the blade.

It took me a while, but I found a Henkel steak knife set made in Spain. Most of the Henkel sets I found were made in China. You have to shop around and read the itty-bitty print.

That tiny little knife I had was called a 'strawberry knife.' The people who sold it to me told me to keep my eye out on line, at yard sales etc. Haven't found one yet. Now they have what is called a 'strawberry knife' on amazon. Not the same thing. The one on Amazon is actually for hulling strawberries and it is much larger than my petite little blade! It was so wonderful to have a knife that actually fit my very small hand!

A word of caution- I don't care if it's Henkel or Chicago Cutlery or whatever the brand...

Many of these high quality famous name brands are now made in China.
Look on the box very carefully. Look on the blade.

It took me a while, but I found a Henkel steak knife set made in Spain. Most of the Henkel sets I found were made in China. You have to shop around and read the itty-bitty print.

I don't really care where anything is made. The quailty and carbon content are what's important to me in a knife.

In fact one of my favorite blades (not for cooking) was made in Burma from the leaf spring of a truck

See the makings of traditional hunting working original Gurkhas khukris knives

I don't really care where anything is made. The quailty and carbon content are what's important to me in a knife.

In fact one of my favorite blades (not for cooking) was made in Burma from the leaf spring of a truck

See the makings of traditional hunting working original Gurkhas khukris knives
That is really cool.

If I'm going to pay a handsome price for a brand name kinfe/knife set I'd rather it originate from the manufacturer's country of origin and not some out-sourced factory in China.

Forum List

Back