Knife To Gun Fight, Knife Wins?!? Oh Yeah, Behind The Knife Was A Marine

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Links at site

http://kg.typepad.com/banter/2006/05/united_states_m.html

United States Marine Takes Knife to Gun Fight....Wins

A group of thugs picked the wrong person to mess with this Memorial Day evening, and one of those idiots is currently sleeping with the fishes.

NOTE TO THUGS - when you choosing your victims, it is generally considered to be a life threatening mistake to pick someone who carries a knife - ESPECIALLY if that individual happens to wear a Eagle, Globe and Anchor!!!

One more tip, if you pull your shotgun on a Marine and he shows you his war face you should probably pack it up and call it night.

I first heard about this story on Neal Boortz's radio show, and he made a very important point that this incident shatter's the long-time rule of thumb that one should not take a knife to a gun fight. Looks like there is now an exception for Marines.

from 11Alive.com
An ex-Marine pulled out a pocket knife after five people, including a young girl, allegedly tried to rob him late Monday evening in Midtown. That girl died.

Another one of the alleged assailants is in critical condition.

Investigators are calling the case one of self-defense. They say no charges will be filed against the victim in the case.

Police say they have been talking to three of the suspects, trying to find out what happened.

Atlanta police say around 11 p.m., the victim -- a former U.S. Marine -- was walking home from work at Jock’s and Jill’s in Midtown. He says that when he got to 4th Street and Penn Avenue, five people jumped out of a Cadillac with guns. He says he kicked the guns out of their hands, and fought back with his very own pocket knife....

Even more impressive since its a pocket knife, unless Marines are given really big pocket knives.

Kinda loses some punch when you find out the one out of the five he killed was a girl, apparently pregnant to boot too.

Not that that excuses her for putting herself in that situation, but, yeah, real bad-ass there.

To see people giving him a virtual high-five for this is just... something i'll never understand.

Redhots said:
Kinda loses some punch when you find out the one out of the five he killed was a girl, apparently pregnant to boot too.

Not that that excuses her for putting herself in that situation, but, yeah, real bad-ass there.

To see people giving him a virtual high-five for this is just... something i'll never understand.

And people not thinking 'way to go' for defending yourself, no matter who it's against, is not something I'll ever understand.

If somebody comes after me, I'm gonna shoot him, stab him, claw, bite, scratch... Hell, I'll feed him his own testicles if I have to, and I don't care if 'he' is a 'she,' or if she's pregnant, or if her parents are around, grandparents, little kids, innocent bystanders, whatever. That mofo's getting it right in the face.

Redhots said:

:wtf:

I'll never get this attitude of whoa is the criminal. Whoa is the teacher who has sex with her students. Whoa is the gay guy who kidnaps and molests little boys. Whoa is the robber who breaks into someones home and ends up dead by the homeowners gun.

This marine, whose age they conviently left out, did what any human had to do to survive. If that means that this dumb bitch, who was pregnant and traveling with 4 thugs with guns, died, then so be it. Not the top candidate for mother of the year there and more then likely, this marine did the country a favor by eliminating 2 more mouths to feed. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. This woman chose to endanger herself and by proxy her child. She deserves what she got.

IF you're within 20 feet of someone with a holstered gun, you can have a knife in them before they clear the holster. If you're fighting more than one opponent, two to three are the optimum number of assailants, particularly if they have trained together as a unit. More than that just get in each others way, especially a bunch of punks against a battle-tested Marine. And I'm sure his knife wasn't just a "pocket-knife". You can carry a lock-back with a 4" blade comfortably in your front pocket, and tactical folders, such as those made by Emerson, Benchmade, Strider Knives and others, are designed for quick deployment from a front pocket.

Congrats to the Marine for cleaning up the streets.

Redhots said:

Holy crap! I am aghast at this line of thinking.

Ok, have it your way, the Marine killed FOUR assailants (one of whom had a shotgun!) who were intent on doing him bodily harm, unfortunately, a pregnant women was collateral damage. Of course, it the pregnant woman had not been hanging around with four criminals, she migh be alive. The Marine in question is indeed a "bad-ass"!

It is obvious that you have never been faced with even one assailant never mind five. Your comment tells me that you are very brave over the internet but have never been in peril. Easy to make your kind of comments from that position. To see some people denigrating his bravery and competence in this is just...something I detest!

Redhots said:

Let me get this straight!! You are saying that the "victim" should have stopped, looked at each and everyone of his attackers, and than decided which he should defend himself against. Just because this piece of scum happened to be a womanhe should discount her as a possible attacker. I think you missed the part about them being armed with GUNS.

As for the ex-marine being a bad-ass.. Your damn right he's a bad-ass he took out 5 people who were armed with GUNS. This stupid bitch deserved what she got for "pulling a gun" on a percieved defensless man.

Would you have felt better if the ex-marine was a woman who took out these peices of shit...????

nukeman said:
Let me get this straight!! You are saying that the "victim" should have stopped, looked at each and everyone of his attackers, and than decided which he should defend himself against. Just because this piece of scum happened to be a womanhe should discount her as a possible attacker. I think you missed the part about them being armed with GUNS.

As for the ex-marine being a bad-ass.. Your damn right he's a bad-ass he took out 5 people who were armed with GUNS. This stupid bitch deserved what she got for "pulling a gun" on a percieved defensless man.

Would you have felt better if the ex-marine was a woman who took out these peices of shit...????

There's no such thing as an ex-marine...BLASHPHEMER!!

Psst...they're called retired Marines. Once a Marine...

As for the pocketknife, I was indeed thinking a lock-blade with a couple inches on it. I know most people are thinking Swiss Army knives, but I don't think a Marine would just be carrying one of those toothpicks.

Redhots said:

:wtf:

Redhots said:

I disagree, the report says she was stabbed when she jumped on him. It's not like she was stabbed from across the room.

In a fight where two men are armed with guns why was she within arms reach of the marine in the first place? Especially if she was pregnant??

Redhots said:

Then youll never understand the world because I dont care what you say, defending yourself against five opponents with guns is pretty damn impressive.

This should make Redhots feel better; but I'm sure he will still be more concerned and caring about the youths instead of the victim.

-----

Thomas Autry is a former Marine corporal, but he doesn't consider himself a brave man for fighting off five assailants, one of whom died.

The soft-spoken Autry was somber Tuesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after he was attacked late Memorial Day while walking home from work at a Midtown Atlanta restaurant.

"I'm sorry this whole thing happened. I hate this world has gotten to the point where it is predatory," said a shaken Autry, speaking briefly to reporters from behind the screen door of his Atlanta apartment.

Police say Autry, 36, acted in self-defense when he stabbed 17-year-old Amy Martin, who died of wounds to her chest. Another alleged assailant, Christopher Daniel, 18, was in critical condition Tuesday night with stab wounds to his upper torso.

The group was part of a teenage robbery crew that had struck twice this month, authorities said.

Prowling for a victim just after 11 p.m. Monday, the group might have mistaken the tall, thin Autry for an easy mark as the waiter walked home alone after finishing a shift at Jocks & Jills, police said.

But the Desert Storm veteran, cornered by his pursuers on Penn Avenue at 4th Street, fought back with a pocket knife.

More than his military training, Autry said, "what really helped me was growing up in New York."

He said he knew to stay alert on his long walk home and turned to investigate after seeing a white cat scurry across the street. That's when he saw his attackers piling out of a dark blue 2007 Cadillac, he said.

One of the teens carried a shotgun.

"My first instinct was to run," said Autry. "Those kids were younger than me. They caught me and cornered me. It was about life preservation."

Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens said that during the chase, Autry was trying to get into his backpack to get the knife, which slowed him down.

As he ran, Autry repeatedly yelled "Fire," which Stephens said attracted the attention of nearby residents, who called 911.

Cornered, Autry kicked the shotgun from the hands of one attacker and stabbed Martin and Daniel. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol but it misfired, Stephens said.

The attackers ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them.

Police say Autry suffered a cut to his hand. His right index finger was bandaged but he declined to discuss his injuries.

Martin's 17th birthday was earlier this month. Relatives said she was dating one of the boys who was arrested. A 10th- grader at Grady High, Martin was scheduled to take a final exam in social studies Tuesday, relatives said.

Early police reports indicated Martin was pregnant but the autopsy concluded otherwise, according to the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office.

Autry sighed with relief after learning the teenager was not pregnant. "That really makes me feel a whole lot better that she wasn't with child," he said. "I'm sorry to her family. I just feel real bad at the situation."

The surviving suspects were identified as Kendall Barksdale, 17, of Atlanta; Christopher Hayes, 17, of Douglasville; a 16-year old whose name is being withheld because of his age, and Daniel, whose address was not listed. They were arrested on charges of aggravated assault and armed robbery.

Martin, nicknamed "Strawberry" for her sweet disposition as a young girl, had fallen "into a bad crowd," according to relatives who gathered at the southwest Atlanta apartment where she and her family lived.

Her stepfather, Chris Roberts, said Martin's death resulted from "her wrong choices in friends, and being in the wrong place, with the wrong people.

"She wasn't brought up that way," he said.

Martin's younger sister Kristie Roberts, 12, blamed Martin's boyfriend of three years, the youngest suspect in the group.

"She wouldn't have been in that car but for [him]," Kristie said.

The teen's stepfather chimed in: "I told her to stay away from these people who have no ambition but trouble."

Autry said he hopes the culprits can be rehabilitated and not just locked up.

He was clearly troubled by the attack. Concerned about his safety and that of his girlfriend, Autry had his door locks changed Tuesday and he asked to not be photographed.

Autry was honorably discharged in 1992 after serving in Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia. When told that many people consider him a hero for his actions, Autry disagreed.

"The heroes are those guys out there fighting for us every day and not getting respect," he said, referring to military personnel fighting in Iraq and elsewhere. "That [killing the attacker] wasn't admirable, it was fight or flight — and I tried the flight."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/0531metmarine.html?imw=Y

A true marine through and through. Humble to the end.:salute:

It is a shame what happened to the girl, but these girls sometimes learn the hard way about sacking up with the "wrong guy." This was just the ultimate example. Either way she probably would have ended up dead if she continued to be with the guy. 3 years and she didnt get it by then. She would have never learned.

Redhots said:

Next time you get jumped 5 on 1, be sure and make note of the gender of your assailants prior to defending yourself.

He DESERVES a high five. Too bad more people can't follow his lead. You'd probably just stand there and die.

insein said:
A true marine through and through. Humble to the end.:salute:

It is a shame what happened to the girl, but these girls sometimes learn the hard way about sacking up with the "wrong guy." This was just the ultimate example. Either way she probably would have ended up dead if she continued to be with the guy. 3 years and she didnt get it by then. She would have never learned.

Humble? Us?

I think this is a case of mistaken identity on your part.:laugh:

Some of you will have to point out to me where I've said he shouldn't have acted the way he did in that situation. I didn't.

And point out to me where I said I thought the robbers were the real victims. I haven't.

What got me was all the cheering on of "Way ta frag that bitch!" "Boo-ya Semper Fi!"... when what happened was a few stupid kids made a really bad choice and one of them died because of it. I don't think thats anything to celebrate.

Oh and thanks for posting that extended article. It seems the Marine in question really doesn't want any of your praise.

Autry was honorably discharged in 1992 after serving in Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia. When told that many people consider him a hero for his actions, Autry disagreed.

"The heroes are those guys out there fighting for us every day and not getting respect," he said, referring to military personnel fighting in Iraq and elsewhere. "That [killing the attacker] wasn't admirable, it was fight or flight — and I tried the flight."

Better give that man some negetive rep too.

Forum List

Back