Klein frustrated over gay marriage

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Honestly, I hope he is. Ralph Klein has used campaigne slogans along the lines of "let's send those eastern creeps and bums back to Ontario". The man is an asshole AND a liberal party reject. I wish he'd go back to the booze, kept him busy. :wine:

Jim Macdonald
Canadian Press

July 21, 2005

1 | 2 | NEXT >>
Alberta Premier Ralph Klein. (CP)
ADVERTISEMENT

EDMONTON -- Alberta marriage licences are now being issued to gay couples, much to the distress of Premier Ralph Klein.

"It's a sad day for the majority of Albertans who believe in the traditional definition of marriage," Klein said in an interview Thursday. "We have to obey the law of the land, and it's unfortunate that such a law would be passed."

Murray Billett of Canadians for Equal Marriage said he was disappointed by Klein's comments.

"If you look at history, there were politicians and people who were sad when women got the vote," Billett told CFRN-TV. "There were politicians and people who were sad when black people were treated equally."

Klein's words also drew an immediate rebuke from one of the gay people who obtained a marriage licence Wednesday after the proclamation of federal legislation to allow same-sex marriages across Canada.

"I'm disappointed that he used words like 'unfortunate' and 'sad,' " said Mickey Wilson. "My hope was that they would buy into the fact that we're all citizens of Alberta."

"It's really unfortunate that he's chosen to continue to alienate and continue to speak words that in my personal opinion promote hatred."

Klein said he's not opposed to protecting the rights of gays on other fronts, but his Conservative government has been steadfastly against creating a law that allows same-sex marriages.

"We always believed that gay people should be protected relative to discrimination in terms of housing, jobs and so on," said the premier. "But when it comes to marriage, we draw the line."

He said he believes that represents the majority opinion in Alberta.

Stephen Harper, the federal Conservative Opposition leader, offered only brief comment on the issue Thursday when asked about the next move his party would be taking.

"I've said it will be an issue in the election and our government will have our own vote in the Parliament and it will be a free vote," Harper said during a stop in Burlington, Ont.

Grant Hill, a former Conservative MP from Calgary, also said he would be working toward a "political solution." Hill, who leads the group United Families Canada, said he wants to see the gay marriage issue returned to the Commons for "a true free vote."

"Homosexual couples in Canada are well taken care of without going down the road of full-fledged marriage," said Hill.

"Marriage has more than the purpose of just romance between two individuals. There is a fairly significant societal component to marriage both for children and for responsibility."

But Wilson, an ordained minister who serves a gay congregation in Edmonton, said many gay couples want a church wedding and the traditional bond that comes with a marriage.

Wilson also said he doesn't believe that most Albertans oppose gay marriage, as suggested by the premier.

Link

Hey now, that is my premier you are talking about there!! :finger3:

You would be amazed (or maybe not) at how much talk of seperation there is over here right now. To be honest, I think it is a very loud, very small minority but still, it is a sign that the old feelings of Western alienation are resurfacing. Your average redneck Albertan hates the federal liberal government with a passion and holds Ontario solely responsible for re-electing them against the wishes of the rest of the country.

HorhayAtAMD said:
Hey now, that is my premier you are talking about there!! :finger3:

You would be amazed (or maybe not) at how much talk of seperation there is over here right now. To be honest, I think it is a very loud, very small minority but still, it is a sign that the old feelings of Western alienation are resurfacing. Your average redneck Albertan hates the federal liberal government with a passion and holds Ontario solely responsible for re-electing them against the wishes of the rest of the country.

I have a slight idea as to how popular the idea of seperation is in Alberta. How much provincial ownership does Alberta have in certain resources.....out of curiousity? Too bad Canada is so regionally minded, esepcially in the praries where communities (cities ect) are much more isolated.

Oh, and next time, I hope those Albertians who come here looking for work remember how much they hate Ontario. When my mother runs for mayor (which she is) she can borrow Kleins old slogans. :D

Western alienation is also alive and well in Manitoba. While, Manitoba was province that overwhelmingly supported same-sex marriage it would be nice for Ontario and Quebec to stop dictating their edicts to other parts of the country.

While I know I'm slightly off-topic. I think a lot of this alienation in the West and seperatism in Quebec could be alleviated by giving more power back the provinces.

Isaac Brock said:
Western alienation is also alive and well in Manitoba. While, Manitoba was province that overwhelmingly supported same-sex marriage it would be nice for Ontario and Quebec to stop dictating their edicts to other parts of the country.

What edicts? BTW, I like being the boss, don't imagine I'll change my bossy Ontario ways soon. (J/K) :cof:

While I know I'm slightly off-topic. I think a lot of this alienation in the West and seperatism in Quebec could be alleviated by giving more power back the provinces.

I agree totally and feel Atlantic Canada would benefit the most, considering the amount of empty promises continually thrown their way by the feds.

Said1 said:
How much provincial ownership does Alberta have in certain resources.....out of curiousity? Too bad Canada is so regionally minded, esepcially in the praries where communities (cities ect) are much more isolated.
I don't know about provincial ownership of our resources and quite frankly, I don't care that much. I am 100% a federalist. The only thing that kind of annoys me is that I don't feel Quebec pulls their weight. There is no reason why that province, with its population and resources, should be on the receiving end of transfer payments. BC too has little excuse.

Oh, and next time, I hope those Albertians who come here looking for work remember how much they hate Ontario. When my mother runs for mayor (which she is) she can borrow Kleins old slogans. :D
Wow, good luck to your mom! How exciting!

Forum List

Back