Kitty Hawk Concludes Successful Summer Deployment... Oops Right Back Out Ya Go

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
Two typhoons on the way.... can't let the ship get damaged.. so after about 60 hours in homeport, the ship was getting underway again this afternoon... poor bastards... i was just able to get off the brow about 5 minutes before they put it up... damn XO was hot to trot on my ass and everbody else staying behind, but thankfully the CO found out he was being asinine and ordered all "oprhan wharf rats" off the ship to support its mission out to sea for the next few days.

hmm, i didn't see a single smiling face all day today. morale was as widespread as support for the troops at a joan baez singalong rally...

http://www.c7f.navy.mil/news/2005/august/21.htm

Kitty Hawk concludes successful summer underway period

Journalist 3rd Class Christopher Koons, USS Kitty Hawk public affairs
Posted: 08/22/2005

YOKOSUKA, Japan (Aug. 20, 2005) - The Kitty Hawk Carrier Strike Group returned to Yokosuka after completing an 83-day summer underway period, which included two port calls, a combined, joint exercise with Australia, and two joint exercises in the Guam and Okinawa operating areas. Currently in port in Yokosuka, Japan, the Kitty Hawk Carrier Strike Group demonstrates power projection and sea control as the U.S. Navy's only permanently forward-deployed aircraft carrier strike group, operating from Yokosuka, Japan.

USS Kitty Hawk, At Sea -- USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) returned to its forward-deployed operating port of Yokosuka, Japan, Aug. 20, bringing an end to a three-month summer underway period which saw the ship and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5 encounter many changes and challenges.

Chief among these challenges were a trio of exercises Kitty Hawk and CVW-5 participated in along with the rest of the Kitty Hawk Carrier Strike Group and Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 15. These were Talisman Saber 2005, the third annual Orange Crush and Joint Air and Sea Exercise (JASEX) 2005.

“All three of these exercises turned out to be very successful,” said Lt. Cmdr. Mike Masica, CVW-5’s assistant operations officer. “They were a lot of hard work.”

Each of the exercises offered the Hawk/5/15 team a chance to practice important capabilities, said Masica.

“Talisman Saber gave us a chance to train with Australian military forces, Orange Crush focused on integrating different parts of the [Kitty Hawk Carrier Strike Group] together and JASEX tested our ability to operate with different parts of the U.S. armed forces, especially the Air Force” he said.

The most important part of these exercises was the chance for self-examination they offered Kitty Hawk and CVW-5, said Masica.
CONTINUE ARTICLE @ LINK

Typhoon on land vs. typhoon at sea....hmmmmm....yep I'll take the land piece, thank you very much Mr. XO (but then again, I am a die hard gravel cruncher!)

CSM said:
Typhoon on land vs. typhoon at sea....hmmmmm....yep I'll take the land piece, thank you very much Mr. XO (but then again, I am a die hard gravel cruncher!)

Yes, much better to be on land than being tossed around like a toy out to sea....

NATO AIR said:
Yes, much better to be on land than being tossed around like a toy out to sea....

Nato, once again, 'Thanks for your Service', I'm assuming you are still safely on land. My heart goes out to your unlucky crew, may they stay safe from typhoons and other dangers.

Kathianne said:
Nato, once again, 'Thanks for your Service', I'm assuming you are still safely on land. My heart goes out to your unlucky crew, may they stay safe from typhoons and other dangers.
Thank you, I'm sure they most appreciate it.

Land is nice.

Forum List

Back