Kite Runner, FANTASTIC!!!

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
I was able to get some tickets to a screening of the movie, Kite Runner. It was great..

I would not bring somebody too immature, or who is not able to deal with some violence to see this flick. But, as a whole, I would recommend this movie to most people.

It had a message, some spins, and some great photography.. One of the few movies I have seen at a theater that I REALLY enjoyed. One thing you get is a feeling of "immersion" into the Afghan culture,, at least I felt that way.

I had seen a snipit on CBS Sunday Morning a few weeks ago and was impressed with the writer, and his accomplishments as a former immigrant to the US..:clap2:

so what exactly did you take away from this movie, e.g., what value did the movie give your life?

i ask, because as I understand it, this is not just an "entertainment" film.

It's not entertainment. It's more educational but wrapped around a story that you can't help but get involved in. I read a book, some 30 years ago, about Afghanistan history and and promptly read several more regarding their culture, etc. As with most of the nations in this part of the world, it's history was full of wonder and accomplishment until the Islamic curtain came down, and it ground it to a halt.
This movie was true to what I had read at that time. The use of young boys for sexual entertainment is not so uncommon there. It is part of the their old culture, as women are seen as unclean and mere servants. Some boys are actually trained, by their mothers, to become partners to older wealthy men so that their family can be guaranteed a good income and a means of living. The Taliban and other extremist movements, that wish to hark to the good ole days, (pre-TV, cell phones, Pesi) also include these elements. It's horrific for us to see but it does provide a perspective that we all need to understand exists.

Forum List

Back