Kiss Butt Obama

I doubt he has much trust with the Poles.

You mean not going ahead with the missile shield proposal? Yes, that probably irked them. But alienation?
Damn, you're too fast. Somehow that clause didn't make it into my post, so I edited it back in. No, no alienation.

Sorry! I'm just waiting for the news to come on tv and jumping around (figuratively speaking) the forums.

I wonder though if Obama is making the point that US foreign policy is going to be evidence-based. Yes he did annoy the Poles and probably some of the others that were on board, but maybe that's a good thing. Not annoying allies I mean but making the point that his foreign policy is going to be a bit hard-headed? Just as an aside I think he should give Gordon Brown a rocket, bloody failure that man is and his rotten government.

Sorry, went off topic.

You mean not going ahead with the missile shield proposal? Yes, that probably irked them. But alienation?
Damn, you're too fast. Somehow that clause didn't make it into my post, so I edited it back in. No, no alienation.

Sorry! I'm just waiting for the news to come on tv and jumping around (figuratively speaking) the forums.

I wonder though if Obama is making the point that US foreign policy is going to be evidence-based. Yes he did annoy the Poles and probably some of the others that were on board, but maybe that's a good thing. Not annoying allies I mean but making the point that his foreign policy is going to be a bit hard-headed? Just as an aside I think he should give Gordon Brown a rocket, bloody failure that man is and his rotten government.

Sorry, went off topic.
Not a problem; I think it's more than worthy of the topic at hand - kissing butt, eh?

As a great man once said, you can't please all the people all the time. If he was not pissing off some, he would be doing something wrong. He might even get called a Chamberlain - not a good thing around these parts.

Which allies has he alienated?

Which ones has he not alienated, answer that than we can go from there, you got all the posts so you go first.

I appreciate the invitation but I will have to respectfully decline.

It was not an invitation, not at all, it was more of a trick, I gave you a question I knew you would not answer simply to show that when challenged you had nothing.

dont mistake a clever post as an invitation

Which ones has he not alienated, answer that than we can go from there, you got all the posts so you go first.

It was not an invitation, not at all, it was more of a trick, I gave you a question I knew you would not answer simply to show that when challenged you had nothing.

I'll be sure to bear that in mind in the future. I appreciate the lesson in tactics.

Sorry, went off topic.
Not a problem; I think it's more than worthy of the topic at hand - kissing butt, eh?

As a great man once said, you can't please all the people all the time. If he was not pissing off some, he would be doing something wrong. He might even get called a Chamberlain - not a good thing around these parts.

Poor old Neville. I always like to think he was buying time.

I'll be sure to bear that in mind in the future. I appreciate the lesson in tactics.

I am sure you will bear it in mind, no one likes to be a fool twice

I am sure you will bear it in mind, no one likes to be a fool twice

No, I know they don't, trust me.

Sorry, went off topic.

He was actually following public opinion at the time. WWI was still relatively fresh in the Brit's minds. They (the public) did not see the storm clouds on the horizen and did not want another war.

He was actually following public opinion at the time. WWI was still relatively fresh in the Brit's minds. They (the public) did not see the storm clouds on the horizen and did not want another war.

That's an interesting point. I don't suppose anyone really wants a war and no, I'm not trying to exploit the expression you used, I took your point as you meant it. I'm not sure if the Brits (govt) were thick or just ignorant at that time or if it was wilful blindness. They certainly weren't prepared for war and Germany was tooling up for years. The sad part is that so many influential Brits, in the political establishment and in particular the aristocracy (anyone got a spittoon I could use? :D) were admirers and supporters of Hitler. It's a wonder they got around to declaring war at all.

That's an interesting point. I don't suppose anyone really wants a war and no, I'm not trying to exploit the expression you used, I took your point as you meant it. I'm not sure if the Brits (govt) were thick or just ignorant at that time or if it was wilful blindness. They certainly weren't prepared for war and Germany was tooling up for years. The sad part is that so many influential Brits, in the political establishment and in particular the aristocracy (anyone got a spittoon I could use? :D) were admirers and supporters of Hitler. It's a wonder they got around to declaring war at all.

While the appeasment was in play England and France were also doing everything they could to "hem in" Germany, they (the politicians) weren't that stupid or blind. However when Germany and Russia made the non-agression pact England paniced, sent emmisaries to Poland and promised mutual protection from both England and France (much to France's chargrin). Hitler was a gambler, and based on the previous responses from England and France figured they would again not intervene if he attacked Poland, he lost that roll of the die.

While the appeasment was in play England and France were also doing everything they could to "hem in" Germany, they (the politicians) weren't that stupid or blind. However when Germany and Russia made the non-agression pact England paniced, sent emmisaries to Poland and promised mutual protection from both England and France (much to France's chargrin). Hitler was a gambler, and based on the previous responses from England and France figured they would again not intervene if he attacked Poland, he lost that roll of the die.

Interesting to look back at it and see how it unfolded.

Sorry, went off topic.

What is interesting is for years Russia (an Iranian ally) has been blocking most sanctions against Iran, Obama stops the missile shield in Europe and suddenly the Russians are on board with heavier sanctions against Iran. Can everyone say horse trade.

Sorry, went off topic.

What is interesting is for years Russia (an Iranian ally) has been blocking most sanctions against Iran, Obama stops the missile shield in Europe and suddenly the Russians are on board with heavier sanctions against Iran. Can everyone say horse trade.

Good move I reckon.

An excellent book to read is The Dark Vally (A Panorama of the 1930s) by Piers Brendon. Well documented and very comprehensive tome.

An excellent book to read is The Dark Vally (A Panorama of the 1930s) by Piers Brendon. Well documented and very comprehensive tome.

Looks good, just reading a review. Thank you for the reference.

Curious how some can read these things!

Nixon left Nam. And you recall the Chinese.
Reagan ran from Beirut.
Bush Sr. stopped too early?
Bush invaded the wrong nation and then screwed up Afghanistan as well as much more.

And Bush's Axis of evil was about as helpful as everything else he did - while Korea built nuclear weapons.

So really who is the appeaser historically? Nixon? Reagan? Bush Sr? or Junior?

Curious that a new president in just a few months gets such enormous credit from all the wingnuts who slept and sleep through history.

Which infuential Brits and who in the aristocracy?

Forum List

Back