King or Country?

Stupid question if the evidence was that compelling then congress would agree with the President. Thus you would know where the military stood. It would take more than a presidential scandal to turn the military against civilians. After all what do you think our families are you idiots.

I don't think this question is designed to insult the military.

It's a serious question because the generals WOULD have to make a choice.

The troops would obey orders unless the cou d' etat was so balatent that even they could see it.

One of the things I understand about the people who might try to pull off something this evil is they are NOT stupid,

The news leading up to this moment in time would be designed to confuse the people, and the troops, too.

FWIW I have a LOT of confidence in the top brass of this nation.

I honestly think that they understand that their job is to defend the constitution, FIRST.

I've known some of those WEst Point and Annapolis grads, and I still have confidence that they are honest patriots of the nation...not of the POTUS, but of the nation.

Now if a POTUS was planning on doing a coup d' etat, he'd have to retire a LOT of the office corps first.

I don't think he could pull that off because there are far too many top brass with integrity.

Last edited:

The troops would obey orders unless the cou d' etat was so balatent that even they could see it.

One of the things I understand about the people who might try to pull off something this evil is they are NOT stupid,

The news leading up to this moment in time would be designed to confuse the people, and the troops, too.

I honestly think that they understand that their job is to defend the constitution, FIRST.

I've known some of those WEst Point and Annapolis grads, and I still have confidence that they are honest patriots of the nation...not of the POTUS, but of the nation.

Now if a POTUS was planning on doing a coup d' etat, he's have to retire a LOT of the office corps first.

I don't think he could pull that off because there are far too many top brass with integrity.

I tend to agree. Also, there are a lot of other organizations besides the US military that would have a direct impact of a successful attempt like that (including and armed US citizenry).

Stupid question if the evidence was that compelling then congress would agree with the President. Thus you would know where the military stood. It would take more than a presidential scandal to turn the military against civilians. After all what do you think our families are you idiots.

I don’t think it’s a stupid question, it is kind of like the scene in War Games where the order comes to turn the key and a substantial portion of the missile commanders refuse to do so. Admittedly I can’t remember the source, but I think that scene what inspired by actual drills that were conducted.

Another thing is that I used the term “compelling” rather than “conclusive” something may be compelling but still up for debate. When I was in high school and thinking about joining the navy, this is something I gave a lot of thought to…so no; I don’t think it’s a stupid question at all.

Now if a POTUS was planning on doing a coup d' etat, he'd have to retire a LOT of the office corps first.

Right on! This question is not designed to offend military personnel. My opinion is that, if my scenario were to take place, the Joint Chiefs would just look at the President and say “are you insane”. From a chain of command perspective it would be the decision of the Joint Chiefs to either back the Standing President, President Elect or Congress.

Given the (good) political and historical indoctrination our military academies provide, I am just about positive the Joint Chiefs would side with Congress until the issue could be settled through the existing legal and Democratic Process.

BUT, if the Joint Chiefs were split on the issue or agreed to side with the President, would soldiers, sailors and airmen go with their Chief of Staff, the President or Congress?

First, I hesitate to comment on the thread question because the basic question itself is one of those "suppose the sun stopped shinning type questions what would you do?" However, IMO a president-elect is just that a president-elect and has ZERO power as the CIC. One he and or she has not taken the oath of office. If the sitting president who IS the CIC orders the US Military to impose martial law then you may see for the most part the Military follow orders of the current CIC. Although in some cases it may fall along the lines of the civilian population , as the Military is not filled with robots, but has dedicated people that have a high sense of purpose. Each person(s) in the US Military takes an Oath to defend the Constitution and in the case of enlisted personnel to obey the orders of those appointed over them i.e Officers, CIC. US Military personnel are not bound to make decisions on the validity of an election , so the basic premise of your question equates an easy answer as I mentioned above. Now you might run into an issue if the president gets past that date when the president-elect is supposed to take that oath of office and violates the constitution then IMHO the Military is bound to their oaths to the constitution. Still though, to assume that the men and women of the Military are these mindless robots that are not capable of making individual decisions is comepletely false.

The men and women of the US Military are dedicated and as mentioned above have a high sense of duty and unlike the average citizen outwardly serve a cause greater than themselves. It takes a special kind of person to do this, one with intelligence, dedication, and a love of country and not a mindless drone.

If anyone here thinks for a minute that our military represents some sort of drone, mindless group of individuals, you are sorely mistaken and quite ignorant.

jodylee, you are a disgrace for the words you have left here.

Forum List

Back