King Abdullah Of Jordan Offers To Send Troops To Iraq

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5344894/

also can be found at:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040701/wl_nm/iraq_jordan_dc

momentous shift from before, could Egypt do the same perhaps?

this is another great development for the iraqi people. the jordanians are fair and true allies of the US with a leader who wants to develop his country and further his people's education and future, and will be the same good ally for the Iraqis.

Jordan willing to send troops to Iraq

King Abdullah's position is major shift since power transfer

Updated: 5:50 p.m. ET July 01, 2004

Jordan is willing to send troops to Iraq, becoming the first Arab state to do so, if Baghdad’s new interim government requests it, King Abdullah said on Thursday.

The Jordanian monarch, whose country would also be the first of Iraq’s neighbors to send troops, was speaking in a television interview with Britain’s BBC "Newsnight" program. He said he had not yet discussed the issue with Iraqis.

Abdullah’s comments, which are certain to please the United States, reflect a major shift in his country’s views on the international military presence in Iraq now that Washington has handed power to Prime Minister Iyad Allawi’s interim government.

“My position has been beforehand not to send troops ... because of Jordanian history with Iraq,” he said. “I felt that all countries that surround Iraq have their own agendas, so maybe we’re not the right people to go in for the job.”

“However, now there’s an interim government and, we hope, a fully independent process very soon in Iraq. I presume, if the Iraqis ask us for help directly it will be very difficult for us to say no,” he said.

‘110 percent support’
“My message to the president and prime minister is: tell us what you want, tell us how we can help and we have 110 percent support for this,” he said.

Iraq’s former Governing Council, the U.S.-backed authority that preceded the interim government sworn in this week, firmly refused to have any troops from neighboring countries on its soil, raising the possibility any offer now by Jordan might also be turned down.

Turkey said last year, in response to a U.S. request, that it was ready to send troops to Iraq but then withdrew the offer when the Governing Council opposed the move.

At the time, Jordan sharply criticized Turkey’s troops offer.

Before last year’s Iraq war, Jordan trod a diplomatic tightrope, wanting to avoid its mistake over the 1991 Gulf War when it refused to join an anti-Iraq coalition that led to isolation by oil-rich Gulf states.

Public opinion in Jordan, whose population is mostly of Palestinian origin, is strongly opposed to U.S. policy in the region and to Jordan’s 1994 peace treaty with Israel.

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Great news. If some Arab countries put their soldiers and reputations on the line for a stable Iraq, and some don't... well, it will be a pretty clear line in the sand.

This is great news, if it pans out. If Jordan puts troops it in will be a huge vote of confidence for the ultimate success of the Iraqi experiment.

I just saw that on the news. Great move by Jordan. Came at the right time, shows they not only have a stake in a stable Iraq, they care more than France and the UN as a whole.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This trend could have a profound impact on the critics. Oh wait, I am not Lys S'Moore, so that will probably not happen, unless they become truly objective to what is really going on.

:cool:

I guess I view such an offer cynically.

Jordan troops operating in a free Iraq under the command of "King Abdulla" is a questionable prospect. Would such involvement by troops who themselves understand little of democracy or a free society help advance that of Iraq?

Such troops could only be marginally better than Saudi Arabian peacekeepers. The Arab military makes shitty peacekeepers, and that's why they are never used, even in Arab states.

I guess it's up to Iraq at this point. The new government would be insane to allow such influences unless they have already rejected a Liberal government. If they do accept such a contribution, that's a sign of failure on our part.

Hopefully this is a symbolic gesture that will be unneccessary but any positive response from an Arab country is a big + !

Forum List

Back