Kindle or Textbook?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "The era of children bearing backpacks stuffed with heavy textbooks may soon be over. Instead, they will open their leather binders and flick their fingers across the screens of their e-book readers.

2. Now you can carry an entire home library with you wherever you go. In fact, one New England boarding school eliminated the physical books and shelves of its 20,000-book library and created a digital version from which students can “borrow” using their Kindles.

3. ...e-books are often cheaper than physical books and, in many cases, free to download. Publishers can easily keep e-books up to date and eliminate traditional complaints about outdated facts or maps.

4. Readers/students can highlight pertinent content, jot down study notes, take advantage of a built-in dictionary by just holding a finger down on a word, read PDF notes from teachers and even listen to audio versions of the books on their e-readers. Some models with WiFi access will connect the reader to the Internet, too.

5. School districts across the nation have begun to experiment with the logistics of using the technology. One e-book experiment in an Illinois middle school was so successful that the school district purchased Kindles for every 8th-grader in the school. Clearwater HS in Florida is another early adopter of the e-reader technology. This September, the 2,000-plus students at the school received their own Kindles, each loaded with books tailored to the student’s class schedule.

6. ...they are not fully compatible yet with the needs of teachers and students. For instance, early models lacked page numbers, which made it difficult to track progress and add assigned readings to the lessons. The early devices didn’t take into account the needs of the visually impaired, either....new generation of e-book readers will allow users to share notes and highlighted text with their classmates.

7. It’s too early to know what impact the technology will have on teachers and students. One thing is for certain: If schools adopt e-reader technology, it will be a weight off students’ backs."
Will textbook-laden backpacks be a memory? | United Federation of Teachers

While I have a Kindle...I rarely use it...somehow, I like using a book!

Anyone else with opinion or experience in this connection?

Last edited:
I'd say the kindle is an infinitely more efficient use of space, and money. (Not infinitely just too lazy to do the math right now)

Why are newspapers still around? Why are paperback novels still popular in bookstores? People don't like to read off a piece of plastic that flashes pages. I guess you could train a kid to rely on the things but I hate them.

Why are newspapers still around? Why are paperback novels still popular in bookstores? People don't like to read off a piece of plastic that flashes pages. I guess you could train a kid to rely on the things but I hate them.

E-readers are the future, plain and simple. They will one day overrun not only schools, but also work and government offices. You may as well get used to them. Besides, as the original poster points out, you can carry a whole library in one of them. Resisting e-readers reminds me of word processors and typewriters, of slide rules and calculators, card catalogues and computers. Join the revolution and join the avant-guard or bring up the rear when you have no choice.

valu-trek.com/review-kindle-fire-whats-all-the-fuss

E-readers are the future, plain and simple. They will one day overrun not only schools, but also work and government offices. You may as well get used to them. Besides, as the original poster points out, you can carry a whole library in one of them. Resisting e-readers reminds me of word processors and typewriters, of slide rules and calculators, card catalogues and computers. Join the revolution and join the avant-guard or bring up the rear when you have no choice.

I have no doubt that there is a faction of society that promotes reading off a piece of plastic for a variety of reasons. Someday it might even become law but for now it seems that Americans like their paperbacks and pulp newspapers. I doubt I will be around for the book burning celebration and the shift to the battery operated world. I just hope they stash away a few books just in case.

It ain't that clear. I reserve judgement but it used to be clear that atomic energy was the future of the 50's housewife's kitchen. Kids might not like to read off battery operated plastic.

Given a choice between lugging a bunch of school textbooks around and carrying an e-book reader, I'd take the reader every time.

They aren't perfect, but the amount of space saved and the weight difference are substantial, especially for younger or simply smaller kids. Money could also be a big factor, as textbooks always seem to be ridiculously overpriced (although that could just be college textbooks, I don't know what it's like for books in K-12).

I got a Kindle not too long ago, within the last year, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is to read. The Kindle screen is made to read text, unlike a tablet, and whatever it is they do to make it work is successful. It really is very similar to reading a printed page; in fact, when I first opened the Kindle box, my roomy and I both thought the screen was some sort of sticker because it looks so different from a computer/tablet screen.

We should never get rid of print entirely, but e-books are a good thing.

I have no doubt that there is a faction of society that promotes reading off a piece of plastic for a variety of reasons. Someday it might even become law but for now it seems that Americans like their paperbacks and pulp newspapers. I doubt I will be around for the book burning celebration and the shift to the battery operated world. I just hope they stash away a few books just in case.

The ONLY reason that books have not been replaced is price. E-readers are still pricey when you can get a book for FAR less. It has nothing to do with 'plastic' and wanting to read off a page. The reality of e-ink screens ahs eliminated that as they are almost exactly the same.

When I deploy I love to read but there are very few books worth reading in Iraq or Afghanistan. Most of the books there are worthless love stories as they are the only ones left. Instead, I bring my reader and a small HDD that totals over 60,000 books on demand at any moment. NOTHING can beat that. I cant carry 10 books into the AOR because I don't have room in my bags.

I'd say the kindle is an infinitely more efficient use of space, and money. (Not infinitely just too lazy to do the math right now)

Maybe not....
.....just saw this story on Fox Business this morn:

"Why are e-books so expensive?

E-books eliminate expenses ranging from paper to transportation – shouldn't they cost less than their paper cousins?

By Stacy Johnson on Tue, Dec 13, 2011 1:44 PM

This post comes from Stacy Johnson at partner site Money Talks News.
I recently got this question on Facebook and it's a darn good one:

Why do your Kindle books cost more than a paperback copy? Electronic books should be cheaper since you have already cut out the cost of paper, shipping and printing. I understand that you and the publisher still deserve a cut but to charge more just seems outrageous.

...e-books are priced at (or sometimes above) their paper counterparts, I went to the Internet for answers. While there are plenty of articles attempting to explain the discrepancy, none I found were particularly satisfying."

Why are e-books so expensive?- MSN Money

Tell yas one benefit of ebooks...their low cost to produce and distribute too.

I have, through Childrens Books Online: The Rosetta Project, given away over 176,000 ebooks.

It's difficult to compute an exact cost of that largess, but I estimate we did it for less than $1,000.

Hard to beat THAT kind of return on investment of one's charitable dollars, isn't it?

I'd rather see them with IPads rather than Kindles. That way they can do their homework on it, take exams and search the Internet

The ONLY reason that books have not been replaced is price. E-readers are still pricey when you can get a book for FAR less. It has nothing to do with 'plastic' and wanting to read off a page. The reality of e-ink screens ahs eliminated that as they are almost exactly the same.

When I deploy I love to read but there are very few books worth reading in Iraq or Afghanistan. Most of the books there are worthless love stories as they are the only ones left. Instead, I bring my reader and a small HDD that totals over 60,000 books on demand at any moment. NOTHING can beat that. I cant carry 10 books into the AOR because I don't have room in my bags.

We are not yet ready to put physical book publishers and makers out of business.

Stay safe.

1. "The era of children bearing backpacks stuffed with heavy textbooks may soon be over. Instead, they will open their leather binders and flick their fingers across the screens of their e-book readers.

2. Now you can carry an entire home library with you wherever you go. In fact, one New England boarding school eliminated the physical books and shelves of its 20,000-book library and created a digital version from which students can “borrow” using their Kindles.

3. ...e-books are often cheaper than physical books and, in many cases, free to download. Publishers can easily keep e-books up to date and eliminate traditional complaints about outdated facts or maps.

4. Readers/students can highlight pertinent content, jot down study notes, take advantage of a built-in dictionary by just holding a finger down on a word, read PDF notes from teachers and even listen to audio versions of the books on their e-readers. Some models with WiFi access will connect the reader to the Internet, too.

5. School districts across the nation have begun to experiment with the logistics of using the technology. One e-book experiment in an Illinois middle school was so successful that the school district purchased Kindles for every 8th-grader in the school. Clearwater HS in Florida is another early adopter of the e-reader technology. This September, the 2,000-plus students at the school received their own Kindles, each loaded with books tailored to the student’s class schedule.

6. ...they are not fully compatible yet with the needs of teachers and students. For instance, early models lacked page numbers, which made it difficult to track progress and add assigned readings to the lessons. The early devices didn’t take into account the needs of the visually impaired, either....new generation of e-book readers will allow users to share notes and highlighted text with their classmates.

7. It’s too early to know what impact the technology will have on teachers and students. One thing is for certain: If schools adopt e-reader technology, it will be a weight off students’ backs."

I study best with books and crib notes. I suppose that's because this is how I learned to study and no doubt those who learn with the new e-readers will study best that way.

I do like writing out and paraphrasing my understanding when studying as well.

I study best with books and crib notes. I suppose that's because this is how I learned to study and no doubt those who learn with the new e-readers will study best that way.

Couldn't agree more!
I underline...then go back and take notes on my underlinings....pretty much the way you've related.

I think books will continue to be around.

Couldn't agree more!
I underline...then go back and take notes on my underlinings....pretty much the way you've related.

I think books will continue to be around.

That can be done on a Kindle though.

Forum List

Back