Kindle DX -- Is it worth the money?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Introducing Kindle DX—Amazon’s Large Screen Addition to the Kindle Family of Wireless Reading Devices

Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) today introduced Amazon Kindle DX, the new purpose-built reading device that offers Kindle’s revolutionary wireless delivery and massive selection of content with a large 9.7-inch electronic paper display, built-in PDF reader, auto-rotate capability, and storage for up to 3,500 books. More than 275,000 books are now available in the Kindle Store, including 107 of 112 current New York Times Best Sellers. New York Times Bestsellers and New Releases are $9.99 unless marked otherwise. Top U.S. and international magazines and newspapers plus more than 1,500 blogs are also available. Kindle DX is available for pre-order starting today for $489 at Amazon.com Kindle Store: Over 275,000 eBooks, Newspapers, Magazines, and Blogs and will ship this summer.

Read more at below link. You may have to scroll down to get to article.
Introducing Kindle DX—Amazon’s Large Screen Addition to the Kindle Family of Wireless Reading Devices

$489 is more than what I paid for my Acer Aspire One (netbook). But I do like the idea that I can reduce the number of books I have since it has the ability to store 3,500 books. Finding bookspace is a growing problem in my house. Also getting bestsellers and new releases at $9.99 is a bargain. I didn't think I would consider getting one, but now with this 9.7 inch display, it's getting more tempting, although I still think the pricetag is high. Any thoughts?

The era of specialized technology is over. So it's really too little, too late. I think laptops are better ideas because you can do everything the kindle can and more, plus more storage space, for less money.

I guess if you have to carry a laptop already, you wouldn't want to carry a Kindle. But if you're looking for a convenient way to read without having to carry tons of books, this would be a better alternative than a laptop. The Kindle has the weight of a paperback while a laptop is about 5 lbs.

I guess if you have to carry a laptop already, you wouldn't want to carry a Kindle. But if you're looking for a convenient way to read without having to carry tons of books, this would be a better alternative than a laptop. The Kindle has the weight of a paperback while a laptop is about 5 lbs.

I've seen some laptops that are only 2 lbs.. Apple is trying to out do paper with their newest ones and Compaq is finally living up to it's name. If I didn't feel like crap today I'd find the references but I had a flair-up and hurt everywhere.

I've seen some laptops that are only 2 lbs.. Apple is trying to out do paper with their newest ones and Compaq is finally living up to it's name. If I didn't feel like crap today I'd find the references but I had a flair-up and hurt everywhere.

yes. but it's a lot easier to use a kindle when you're on a plane or train than it is to use a laptop.

my husband wants one of those so badly......

and it would be very nice to not have to make weekly trips to barnes and noble... not to mention conserving trees.

I dunno.. sounds like a good idea but I can't imagine reading too much on a screen that size. Hell, every pdf i've ever read on a 17 inch screen still makes my eyes hurt. Also, regarding pdf navigation, there is something to be said for being able to turn back pages rather than scroll through them on an electronic device.

like anything else, i'm sure it takes getting used to.

but people read their newspapers online now, too. so seems we're getting to the point where it makes sense.

I read some newspapers online, and I find it excruciating. It's ink on paper in newsprint or in books for me. They're much more enjoyable, and they're mine to keep or to share. I've read one book online, and it was very user friendly, and that was the last for me. Used bookstores that sell paperbacks too, are a gold mine. I thought about giving a "kindle" for a gift, but why would I give something that I can't imagine enjoying?

With a paper back book I can lay on the couch with my sweety, give her a foot rub, and read a novel; it doesn't get any better than that!

Last edited:
oh I hear ya.. we are certainly an internet based info culture these days...

but can you imagine reading A Tale of Two Cities on a device slightly larger than your cell phone?

I've read quite a few books in pdf format, both fiction and reference books, and my eyes are worse for it. Like I said, it sounds like a damn good idea but.. i'd be shocked if they are any more successful than the minidisk player. I hope your Hubby enjoys it if he gets one though!

Last edited:
oh I hear ya.. we are certainly an internet based info culture these days...

but can you imagine reading A Tale of Two Cities on a device slightly larger than your cell phone?

I've read quite a few books in pdf format, both fiction and reference books, and my eyes are worse for it. Like I said, it sounds like a damn good idea but.. i'd be shocked if they are any more successful than the minidisk player. I hope your Hubby enjoys it if he gets one though!

The Kindle DX is 9.7 inches. It's about the size of a magazine. You can change the size of print and color is the same as ink on paper.

I never thought I'd be reading news off the internet either, but I couldn't stand the papers piling up so I discontinued our paper subscriptions.

Like anything, there are trade-offs. If you're traveling you can have tons on books on your Kindle instead of lugging extra weight. Supposedly it doesn't strain your eyes like a computer.

Everyone that I've spoken to that have tried Kindle refuse to go back. It is sleek, light, and convenient. The new Kindle allows you to highlight text and make notes. As with older versions, with a click you can look up a word as well since it has 25,000 words in the dictionary.

I think once I try the real thing, I'll be in love...

yes. but it's a lot easier to use a kindle when you're on a plane or train than it is to use a laptop.

my husband wants one of those so badly......

and it would be very nice to not have to make weekly trips to barnes and noble... not to mention conserving trees.

It depends, if the price is no more than $50 it would be worth it.

Forum List

Back