Kimland

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Comrade, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Here's a fascinating account of a Korean speaking American who was able to put together a travel log of North Korea, very recently.

It's a damn good read and ballsy enough to really make the story very special and unique.

He sneaks a peek at the tour guides notes on the bus and almost gets caught.

He commits a serious crime by making a cell phone call from the NK side of the DMZ to some friend in S.K. in a bathroom.

He strikes up conversions with people who are not supposed to talk to him.

He visits the "elite school" and they all beam picture perfect smiles to his group in the classroom.

Then he sneaks back in and catches them with a snapshot right in mid-transformation from dull expressions to trained smiles again. It's a classic piece of insight into Kimland.

http://1stopkorea.com/index.htm?Travel.htm~mainframe

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Great link Comrade, this is fascinating!

Referring to having passports collected:
    Too funny! Being 'pressured' to buy more expensive tickets!

On the festival:

3. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I'm kind of curious about the whole stadium on the other end from his view... all those thousands with the placards, are they peformers or paying customers?

I couldn't understand the whole thing about this stadium hyped up as THE LARGEST IN THE WORLD. And get a load of thier Arch of Triumph
    and note how it's BIGGER than the one other stupid Arch in Paris. And that pyramid hotel was supposed to be the NUMBER ONE BIG hotel but then they ran out of money and it's just a mere shell. And still, their other hotel is barely occupied. All the egomaniacal commies in power honestly try to impress us with these massive wastes while their people starve.

And check the streets... always empty. He snaps a pic from the bus during rush hour cathing some people walking along the tracks to work, and get's warned about it. What a pathetic state of affairs.

Anyway, that whole stadium with the 100,000 performers, another insane waste of time and energy. Of course it's impressive, but how many starved for that display of centralized majesty. I weep for the people of North Korea.

I really want Kim to die, horribly if possible. Die you fucking prick.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    About the performers, according to the guide, they do it out of 'love of country' and 'love for Kim'. Aaarrrggg

I have to agree with your closing sentiments! :eek2:

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Just had to share this, after waking a son up with an exclamation! :puke:

6. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Oh I just thought of the best part...

The temple of Kim. Thatcher gave the delegates a signed basketball from Michael Jordan, and the guides refuse to believe he's actually just a player and not some powerfull leader.

And the CNN mug and keychain and a few other mere trinkets, also front and center in the display room. This blew me away.

Did I mention there is some forbidden picture taken in secrecty of the the Wax Kim Il in the sacred temple. Speaking is forbidden. And taking pics is seriously a crime. It's just ho-hum and quite a silly thing to see, but this is a temple to them. And the Japenese-Korean tour group are caught up in the worship, which is another bizzare thing.

Anyway, you'll see this and just stare in disbelief. It's just strange.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Oh dear, do think the CNN and Jimmy Carter gifts are worth quoting:

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think I've been looking at this site for nearly 2 hours! It's great! This is too funny :D